Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: external HDD: 5400 rpm / 2.5" fast enough for USB 2.0?

12 Apr 2010   #1
HerrKaLeun

W7 Pro 64
 
 
external HDD: 5400 rpm / 2.5" fast enough for USB 2.0?

I want to buy a new external HDD to use as network storage via my Netgear DGND3300 router.

The connection to router is USB 2.0. should I buy a 7200 rpm HDD or is 5400 rpm fast enough to saturate USB 2.0 and the network (it is 100 Mbit)? I know 3.3" HDD are faster at given rpm. But again, does it matter when connected to USB 2.0?
would the USB port powerful enough to power a 2.5" HDD? Ideally I would not have another powersupply and cable. But if 7200 rpm/ 3.5" is recommended, I gladly get one with external PS.

(I don't want to go through the effort of buying a network storage, from all I read the cheap ones are not fast, HDD cooling is a problem etc. I also don't want to spend much money, and an external HDD can be useful otherwise as well. It is jsut to give my wife access to her data whne she uses the laptop and the desktop is off. I'll back up to the desktop frequently. I know those external HDDs are not made for running all day, but I turn my router off whne I'm not at home. the external HDd would give me what I need for $ 100 or so)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Apr 2010   #2
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
I want to buy a new external HDD to use as network storage via my Netgear DGND3300 router.

The connection to router is USB 2.0. should I buy a 7200 rpm HDD or is 5400 rpm fast enough to saturate USB 2.0 and the network (it is 100 Mbit)? I know 3.3" HDD are faster at given rpm. But again, does it matter when connected to USB 2.0?
would the USB port powerful enough to power a 2.5" HDD? Ideally I would not have another powersupply and cable. But if 7200 rpm/ 3.5" is recommended, I gladly get one with external PS.

(I don't want to go through the effort of buying a network storage, from all I read the cheap ones are not fast, HDD cooling is a problem etc. I also don't want to spend much money, and an external HDD can be useful otherwise as well. It is jsut to give my wife access to her data whne she uses the laptop and the desktop is off. I'll back up to the desktop frequently. I know those external HDDs are not made for running all day, but I turn my router off whne I'm not at home. the external HDd would give me what I need for $ 100 or so)
Yes a 5400 rpm hdd will keep up to USB 2.0, no problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #3
HerrKaLeun

W7 Pro 64
 
 

thanks, good advice.

any idea on if the USB port on the router will be strong enough to power an external HDD? Or should i get one with separate PS? (I try to avoid that, it is a hassle with my current one, in case I later use it as my carry-around HDD)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Apr 2010   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Not sure about the routers power output. I know that sometimes you do not get enough power when you attach a 2.5" disk to a hub. A seperate power supply would make more sense and 3.5" disks are also cheaper per GB than the 2.5". They are supposed to be more reliable too - but that may only be because people do not lug them around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #5
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Not sure about the routers power output. I know that sometimes you do not get enough power when you attach a 2.5" disk to a hub. A seperate power supply would make more sense and 3.5" disks are also cheaper per GB than the 2.5". They are supposed to be more reliable too - but that may only be because people do not lug them around.
USB 2 ports are limited to 500ma each ... this is why you often see external 2.5 inch hdds with 2 usb plugs on them... it's also why all 3.5" externals use wall warts for power.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
USB 2 ports are limited to 500ma each
Is that the same for ports on a router? I never owned such an animal. It may be less.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #7
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

[QUOTE=HerrKaLeun;679971]The connection to router is USB 2.0. should I buy a 7200 rpm HDD or is 5400 rpm fast enough to saturate USB 2.0 and the network (it is 100 Mbit)?
Well, a 100 megabit per second network translates to approx 12MB/s at max. And USB2.0 runs around 35MB/s max. Any 5,400 hard drive should be supplying data faster than that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #8
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

In my experience, it's best not to use a 2.5" External Drive w/out a PS on a router. Not only do you have to rely on the fact that the Router can supply enough power, but it's just one more thing to have go wrong. I'd suggest either getting an external PS for the module you already have, or getting a completely different setup.

Here are some resources:

Thermaltake External 3.5" Hub (Allows quick swap of HDD) - $37
Newegg.com - Thermaltake BlacX N0028USU External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5" & 3.5" USB 2.0 - External Enclosures

Rosewill External 3.5" Enclosure - $27
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX35-AT-SU BLK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

Western Digital Caviar Blue - $70
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

In other words, for $110 you can have a 640GB USB HD thats either enclosed or swappable for when you get another hd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #9
HerrKaLeun

W7 Pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
In my experience, it's best not to use a 2.5" External Drive w/out a PS on a router. Not only do you have to rely on the fact that the Router can supply enough power, but it's just one more thing to have go wrong. I'd suggest either getting an external PS for the module you already have, or getting a completely different setup.

Here are some resources:

Thermaltake External 3.5" Hub (Allows quick swap of HDD) - $37
Newegg.com - Thermaltake BlacX N0028USU External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5" & 3.5" USB 2.0 - External Enclosures

Rosewill External 3.5" Enclosure - $27
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX35-AT-SU BLK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

Western Digital Caviar Blue - $70
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

In other words, for $110 you can have a 640GB USB HD thats either enclosed or swappable for when you get another hd.
I'll look into this. Especially i cnahave better HDDs, can swap them out. Good find.

I will try to set up my network with the existing external HDD first. I cam across one problem (and this might be better in the network forum). I have a W7 home network. So my laptop cna access certain folders on my desktop etc. On my desktop I can access the external HDD (LAN connected, wired, via USB connected to router) and move data. It shows up as "readyshare" network drive, similar to my other shared folders. On the laptop (wireless) I can't see the HDD. but i can loginto the router fromt he laptop (and see the USB drive). any advice what i need to set to make it visible from wireless
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 external HDD: 5400 rpm / 2.5" fast enough for USB 2.0?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized"
Hi guys. I'm new here. I've tried to read all the discussion about how to fix the unallocated hard drive but I just can't understand it as the cases were pretty much different than I'm facing of. Here's my problem. Yesterday my external hard drive seems normal, everything is fine, until...
Hardware & Devices
Both "System reserved" and "C" partition cloned to external HDD: boot?
With EaseUS Backup Tool, I've cloned these two partitions ("System Reserved" and "C") to same-sized partitions on a external HDD ("X" and "Y"). Picture tells it concisely: How to make drives "X" and "Y" boot-able? In "Disk Management", I've noticed these partition labels missing: "X" (or...
Installation & Setup
A New Fast and Reliable External HDD Needed
I've been using a 160GB WD Passport HDD for a very long time and just recently it has decided that I've over used it. I'm looking for another hard drive that I can replace it with. I'm not looking for something with massive space, something similar would be good. I used it as a place to...
Hardware & Devices
Error burning DVD with Windows Explorer: "disc to fast or too slow"
On a 4-year old laptop running Windows 7, I've been burning, in Windows Explorer, Verbatim brand DVD-DL discs rated at 8x, on an external USB Panasonic UJ-220 blu-ray burner that can burn DVD-DL at 2.4x, at 2.4x (the only burn speed choice that Windows Explorer offers), with no problem. Now...
General Discussion
PCI Express Developing Blazing-Fast External Standard
Read more at: Maximum PC | PCI Express Developing Blazing-Fast External Standard
News
Difference between an I3 7200 RPM and I5 5400 RPM
I have a question. I know a 7200 RPM SATA hard drive is supposedly faster than a 5400 RPM SATA hard drive. And an I5-430 is faster than a I3-330m. But is an I5-430 with 5400 RPM hard drive worth $100 more than an I3-330 with a 7200 RPM? Or in other words, is the performance improvement of the...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App