Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 hardware compatibility

22 Apr 2010   #1
Gspoon

Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
 
 
Win 7 hardware compatibility

Hello this seems like the best place to pose my question.

A couple of months back I tried multiple times to install the various RTM's of 7 and never succeeded.

Now my question is there any way to be sure that my system can even install 7?

I know my system can handle it but after past experiences I am a little gun shy.
I want to buy a OEM copy but I am afraid if the install goes south I will have to trash my copy.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Apr 2010   #2
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

Yes, you can use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It'll tell you whether or not your system can use Windows 7.

Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #3
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Gspoon, welcome to the forums.

Unless you have some oddball peripherals not listed in your specs or older printers, etc; everything shown there can and will work with Windows 7 and have both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Apr 2010   #4
Gspoon

Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
Yes, you can use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It'll tell you whether or not your system can use Windows 7.

Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
That's the thing I know I should be able to run 7, everything in they system IS compatible.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Gspoon, welcome to the forums.

Unless you have some oddball peripherals not listed in your specs or older printers, etc; everything shown there can and will work with Windows 7 and have both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers.
I just have a mouse and keyboard no printer,scanner ect.I guess their are too many variables could be bad RTM, Disc or Iso.

Thanks for the replies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #5
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gspoon View Post
Hello this seems like the best place to pose my question.

A couple of months back I tried multiple times to install the various RTM's of 7 and never succeeded.

Now my question is there any way to be sure that my system can even install 7?

I know my system can handle it but after past experiences I am a little gun shy.
I want to buy a OEM copy but I am afraid if the install goes south I will have to trash my copy.
It might help if you would go into a little detail about exactly what kind of install failure you're getting... The crew here is pretty sharp and I'm betting there's a way around the problem...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #6
Gspoon

Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gspoon View Post
Hello this seems like the best place to pose my question.

A couple of months back I tried multiple times to install the various RTM's of 7 and never succeeded.

Now my question is there any way to be sure that my system can even install 7?

I know my system can handle it but after past experiences I am a little gun shy.
I want to buy a OEM copy but I am afraid if the install goes south I will have to trash my copy.
It might help if you would go into a little detail about exactly what kind of install failure you're getting... The crew here is pretty sharp and I'm betting there's a way around the problem...

As far as specific error messages I can't recall. I know I downloaded 64 and 32 bit ISOs via MS and various torrents. Then proceeded to burn the RTM ISO's and every one failed. I do recall that I had a 2gb stick of ram die on me some time after maybe that was the cause. Didn't a number of people have trouble installing 7 with more than one stick of ram in their system?

I ended up ordering a SSD and Win 7 64 bit yesterday.If I have any problems arise I will post again hopefully with good news.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #7
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gspoon View Post
As far as specific error messages I can't recall. I know I downloaded 64 and 32 bit ISOs via MS and various torrents.
And you trusted them?

Wow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #8
Gspoon

Win 7 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gspoon View Post
As far as specific error messages I can't recall. I know I downloaded 64 and 32 bit ISOs via MS and various torrents.
And you trusted them?

Wow.
what do you mean ? I didn't just download random RTM's I did download ISO's from Microsoft as well neither worked. give me a little credit buddy!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #9
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #10
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gspoon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gspoon View Post
As far as specific error messages I can't recall. I know I downloaded 64 and 32 bit ISOs via MS and various torrents.
And you trusted them?

Wow.
what do you mean ? I didn't just download random RTM's I did download ISO's from Microsoft as well neither worked. give me a little credit buddy!
No "discredit" intended... but you should know there are a whole mess of messed up ISOs out there... particularly those found on torrent sites. I was just a little surprised that you would trust them... I sure wouldn't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 hardware compatibility




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Website to help check hardware compatibility for upgrades?
It's been a while since I last upgraded my hardware, and I've got a little bit of cash at the moment, so I'm thinking it's time to get a new graphics card, motherboard and/or CPU. However, it's always tricky to ensure that everything is compatible with everything else. Is there a website that...
Hardware & Devices
Evaluating of Hardware compatibility of a PC
Hi all, Is there any tool which I can test a Windows 7 PC for hardware compatibility? Thanks.
Hardware & Devices
In what way mac hardware differs from PC hardware?
I was sitting idle on Saturday evening and this thought came in my mind. In what ways PC hardware is different from MAC? I am aware that Apple makes their software compatible with their hardware and they mostly use other companies hardware in their machines. Then, what is the reason why Mac is...
Hardware & Devices
New hardware failure...but no new hardware.
System has been running fine for some time. Today I start it up and it has an issue with "new hardware installation". Nothing has changed since yesterday. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
BSOD Help and Support
does game compatibility depend mostly on hardware?
i see so many people having problems with games that i'm not experiencing, so i'm wondering if compatibility is more hardware based? gta iv, left 4 dead, unreal tournament 3... i just install them and they play. no compatibility mode or anything. but others struggle to get them to work. i guess...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App