Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I disable the touchpad on my computer?

04 Jun 2010   #11
Ageeb

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Sounds like your mouse software/drivers aren't installed...
Do you see this icon in your systray?
Screenshot
If not, look on Dell
edit: this is a general Inspiron 1525 search, use your serial number for updated software specific to your machine for better results.
Once that's installed, right click your mouse software tray icon and choose > Pointing Device Properties > Device Settings tab (far right tab) > Middle of window: Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached
Screenshot

Similar dell forum post.

-Ageeb


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Aug 2010   #12
Joggernot

Windows 7 64
 
 
Vaio Windows 7 64

I have read all the actions of this and other threads and none work. Vaio even has the "Disable" button de-activated, so the Touchpad cannot be disabled. There is no key on the keyboard to do this action as there was on my last computer.

Has anyone solved this for a Vaio (sony) laptop?

Joggernot

PS: my wife found this information and it works. Apparently Vaio has its own control center that is separate from the Control Panel.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...=1 0 157792503
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2010   #13
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post

Also can try touchfreeze, disables touch pad while you are typing:
Good one.. it's so damn annoying when my thumb hits the touch pad while I'm typing something
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Sep 2010   #14
zapp22

Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Windows XP Home SP3
 
 
where?

Same problem. no touchpad-specific drivers are on the system as far as I can tell: brand new toshiba Satellite with Win7 Pro 64-bit, all factory-loaded. As far as I can tell the touchpad is treated by Windows 7 as a mouse. No options except typical mousey options.

What is Touchfreeze? builtin to Windows 7 or aftermarket?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post

Also can try touchfreeze, disables touch pad while you are typing:
Good one.. it's so damn annoying when my thumb hits the touch pad while I'm typing something
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2010   #15
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zapp22 View Post
Same problem. no touchpad-specific drivers are on the system as far as I can tell: brand new toshiba Satellite with Win7 Pro 64-bit, all factory-loaded. As far as I can tell the touchpad is treated by Windows 7 as a mouse. No options except typical mousey options.

What is Touchfreeze? builtin to Windows 7 or aftermarket?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post

Also can try touchfreeze, disables touch pad while you are typing:
Good one.. it's so damn annoying when my thumb hits the touch pad while I'm typing something
There should be a button on the laptop to turn off the touch pad.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2010   #16
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

im using a lenovo at present and ,the disable touchpad keys are Fn and F8 ,i hold down Fn then whilst still pressing Fn i then press F8
there is also a little pic on the F8 key of a touchpad with a line through it . i disable only when i use mouse so
touch freeze may be handy when out and about
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2010   #17
zapp22

Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Windows XP Home SP3
 
 

ok. and that Fn+Key works under Windows 7?
On this particular satellite, for the record, its supposed to be Fn+F9

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
im using a lenovo at present and ,the disable touchpad keys are Fn and F8 ,i hold down Fn then whilst still pressing Fn i then press F8
there is also a little pic on the F8 key of a touchpad with a line through it . i disable only when i use mouse so
touch freeze may be handy when out and about
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2010   #18
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zapp22 View Post
ok. and that Fn+Key works under Windows 7?
On this particular satellite, for the record, its supposed to be Fn+F9

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
im using a lenovo at present and ,the disable touchpad keys are Fn and F8 ,i hold down Fn then whilst still pressing Fn i then press F8
there is also a little pic on the F8 key of a touchpad with a line through it . i disable only when i use mouse so
touch freeze may be handy when out and about
It is a hardware feature, not software.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2010   #19
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

Good well the answer to your question ,how to disable touchpad on my computer is to press (in your case!) Fn+F9
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2010   #20
gwong

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Disable/Enable the TouchPad via the Vaio Control Center

SONY Support gave me the solution -
Go to Start, find VAIO CONTROL CENTER(VCC) (in Search). Then click POINTING DEVICE, click OR unclick ENABLE box. Then hit APPLY. It works instantly. No need to ReStart.
I pin it (the VCC) in my Start Menu for easy access (so I can click/unclick ENABLE depending on whether I'm using an external mouse).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
I have read all the actions of this and other threads and none work. Vaio even has the "Disable" button de-activated, so the Touchpad cannot be disabled. There is no key on the keyboard to do this action as there was on my last computer.

Has anyone solved this for a Vaio (sony) laptop?

Joggernot

PS: my wife found this information and it works. Apparently Vaio has its own control center that is separate from the Control Panel.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...=1 0 157792503
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I disable the touchpad on my computer?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Disable Touchpad...
....if a USB mouse is present? My users have Dell Latitude D630s with Synaptics Touchpads. They run Windows 7 Pro x86, and I was wondering if there's a setting/option/app that will disable the touchpad if a USB mouse was connected to the system. Many moons ago, the touchpads would be disabled...
Hardware & Devices
Disable Touchpad
I'm looking to disable the touchpad from within windows. I can disable in BIOS but would rather do it from within windows. Most drivers have an option in device manager to disable but the touchpad doesn't. Presently, Microsoft has installed it's official Windows 95 driver with it's updated version...
Hardware & Devices
disable touchpad?
PLEASE can someone tell me in words of one syllable how to disable the touchpad on my Toshiba L450D without taking it apart and disconnecting it? I installed a wireless Microsoft mouse (superb) and now cannot get past the intellipoint mouse properties in order to disable the touchpad. The cursor...
Hardware & Devices
Disable touchpad
Just got a new HP Pavilion Notebook. I didn't like using the touchpad, so I plugged in a mouse. Then, I went to the Control Panel and TRIED to disable the touchpad. The mouse works great, but the touchpad keeps enabling itself again. It really gets ugly when I'm using the mouse and stop to type...
Hardware & Devices
Cannot disable touchpad?
Hi everyone. I'm pretty pleased with W7, having replaced Vista on my Dell Inspiron 1720 (32 bit) laptop. What I cannot do, however, is disable the touch pad - there is no mechanism in the Control Panel. I can only alter settings for the attached mouse. Can you tell me how to disable the touch...
Hardware & Devices
Disable touchpad
I've got the HP Pavilion dm3 1020ed. It has a button to disable and enable my touchpad. Unfornately this won't work... How can I create an other shortcut to disable / enable my touchpad? (or fix this button) Thank you!
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App