Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing XP on an external hard disk?

28 Jun 2010   #1
mafhh

Windows 7
 
 
Installing XP on an external hard disk?

Hey!

I have win7 on my PC. I also have an external hard disk. I was wondering, can i install windows XP on my external hard disk ( which is partitioned) and expect to be able to use it, on whatever computer i plug it to?

Also, will this effect my computers speed? Since its installed on my external hard disk and not on the computers one?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jun 2010   #2
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Can it be done yes, will it work as you want it to, short answer no. Why? Because Windows XP will discover that new hardware has been installed and require you to re-activate it when you move it from machine to machine. Plus you will need to modify the way the machine boots so you can pick an OS or try to get the machine to boot USB first always. If boot USB first is on then when the drive is plugged in you will get Windows XP and when it is unplugged you get Windows 7. Another point; this would be considered illegal use of the OS by Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #3
mafhh

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Can it be done yes, will it work as you want it to, short answer no. Why? Because Windows XP will discover that new hardware has been installed and require you to re-activate it when you move it from machine to machine. Plus you will need to modify the way the machine boots so you can pick an OS or try to get the machine to boot USB first always. If boot USB first is on then when the drive is plugged in you will get Windows XP and when it is unplugged you get Windows 7. Another point; this would be considered illegal use of the OS by Microsoft.
but isn't there a portable windows XP? I think i heard there is. Its name magic flash?? U put it on your flash disk, and just stick it to ur pc and it boots with win XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jun 2010   #4
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mafhh View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Can it be done yes, will it work as you want it to, short answer no. Why? Because Windows XP will discover that new hardware has been installed and require you to re-activate it when you move it from machine to machine. Plus you will need to modify the way the machine boots so you can pick an OS or try to get the machine to boot USB first always. If boot USB first is on then when the drive is plugged in you will get Windows XP and when it is unplugged you get Windows 7. Another point; this would be considered illegal use of the OS by Microsoft.
but isn't there a portable windows XP? I think i heard there is. Its name magic flash?? U put it on your flash disk, and just stick it to ur pc and it boots with win XP.
Not that I am aware of, unless it is a hacked version of Windows XP and illegal. I know there some PE Windows XP builds, but those are from Microsoft or Microsoft partners.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #5
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Use a Linux instead. That way you can use it in your toolkit if a PC won't boot or whatnot. Most of those "emergency boot CDs" that scan for viruses have Linux OS and use a Windows or Dos emulator to run the virus scan(or a Linux version of the virus scanner.)

That way you won't get in trouble.

Google "boot land" for all things bootable for PCs. I'd post a link but the last few hours it doesn't seem to respond. They may be down for maintenance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #6
Trembyle

Win 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

M$ made it easier to run XP. They allow a free download of XP running in a virtual PC to registered Win 7 users. (see link below)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mafhh View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Can it be done yes, will it work as you want it to, short answer no. Why? Because Windows XP will discover that new hardware has been installed and require you to re-activate it when you move it from machine to machine. Plus you will need to modify the way the machine boots so you can pick an OS or try to get the machine to boot USB first always. If boot USB first is on then when the drive is plugged in you will get Windows XP and when it is unplugged you get Windows 7. Another point; this would be considered illegal use of the OS by Microsoft.
but isn't there a portable windows XP? I think i heard there is. Its name magic flash?? U put it on your flash disk, and just stick it to ur pc and it boots with win XP.
EAch new computer will require new drivers so can you get it to work Yes. Will it be easy NO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2010   #8
Carl Lawrence

Dual-boot: Windows 7 HP 32-bit SP1 & Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP2.
 
 

I think Linux is the only answer, unless you want to get into trouble.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #9
mafhh

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Love Windows 7 View Post
I think Linux is the only answer, unless you want to get into trouble.
See, my main objective of doing so is two reasons, 1) the computer i plug it to may not have the hardware capabilities to run win7

2) because of the sign thing in win7 which doesn't exist in windows XP.

So you guys recommend i install a Linux on my external hard disk (160 GB) and my problems are solved?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #10
Mark Phelps

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Quote:
...So you guys recommend i install a Linux on my external hard disk (160 GB) and my problems are solved?
Since I didn't see where you described your "problems", don't see how anyone can answer your question.

You don't install "Linux"; you install a version of it, known as a distribution, commonly called a "distro". Examples are Mint, Ubuntu, PC Linux OS, and others.

A good source for distros is distrowatch.com.

However, if you're not carefull about HOW you install it, you could end up hosing up your system so it won't boot anymore without the external disk connected.

So, I suggest that you go the the host forum for whatever distro you choose and check there regarding the details of installing to an external drive.

Oh, and BTW, before you do this, would be best to use the Win7 Backup function to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You might need this later if you hose up the Win7 boot while installing the Linux distro.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing XP on an external hard disk?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External Hard Disk not detected, visible in Disk Manager
Hi, My Seagate 2TB external hard disk is not getting detected by my PC, doesn't show in 'Safely remove hardware' option. However, based on one old thread, I installed Partition Recovery Wizard and this is how the scan looks. Please help.
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7: Disk 2 (external hard disk) is Unknown, Not Initialized
Hello, I have run into a problem that has been causing me quite a bit of headache as of late. A week ago, my WD Elements External Hard Disk is not displaying under hard disk drives, but does display under Devices and Printers. This is what it shows under computer management:...
Hardware & Devices
3.5 external hard disk vs 3.5 internal hard disk with enclosure?
What is the difference of 3.5 external hard disk (e.g. WD My Book) vs a 3.5 internal hard disk fixed into an enclosure to work like an external hard disk? Are both good to be use as an external drive to store backup? What 3.5 enclosure is good? Thanks
Hardware & Devices
Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem
Hi guys, I will try to explain this as simple as i can.So let's start I have laptop ASUS N75SF and it is a year old,so i have decided to format.I have two separate hard disks that are the same brand,SeaGate 9500423 AS, each 500 gb capacity. Before i decided to format , one of my hard...
Installation & Setup
USB external hard disk shows up as internal fixed disk
Couple of hours ago my Windows 7 could not recognize my external USB hard disk (Maxtor Basic). It came up on Disk Management and Device Manager but not on My Computer. However I fixed it (by deleting its line off regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, plugging out the ext. HD and...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App