Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: cant see all memory

03 Jul 2010   #1
ColdIce

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
cant see all memory

Hi guys, I had 2x2gb 1066mhz memory, and I decided to add 2x1gb 667mhz memory, and it looks fine, everything boots up and is solid, I can see the 4 sticks in BIOS, but in computer propterties I only see 4.0gb installed :S:S Whats wrong? How do I fix this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jul 2010   #2
Kirsch

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

If you have Windows 7 32-bit, the max ram it will show is 4.0 GB

This link has a nice chart down the page with Physical Memory Limits
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #3
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ColdIce View Post
Hi guys, I had 2x2gb 1066mhz memory, and I decided to add 2x1gb 667mhz memory, and it looks fine, everything boots up and is solid, I can see the 4 sticks in BIOS, but in computer propterties I only see 4.0gb installed :S:S Whats wrong? How do I fix this?
Your specs show you are running 32-bit Windows and have 6GB installed... Windows 32-bit caps at 4GB usable.

Also, even if you had the 64-bit version of Windows so you could use that 6GB of ram, you'd be better served with only running the 4GB of 1066 ram instead of mixing speeds (and I'll assume that probably they're mixed brands too?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jul 2010   #4
ColdIce

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ColdIce View Post
Hi guys, I had 2x2gb 1066mhz memory, and I decided to add 2x1gb 667mhz memory, and it looks fine, everything boots up and is solid, I can see the 4 sticks in BIOS, but in computer propterties I only see 4.0gb installed :S:S Whats wrong? How do I fix this?
Your specs show you are running 32-bit Windows and have 6GB installed... Windows 32-bit caps at 4GB usable.

Also, even if you had the 64-bit version of Windows, you'd be better served with only running the 1066 ram instead of mixing speed (and I'll assume that probably they're mixed brands too?)
So if I install 64bit we be cool?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #5
ColdIce

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Crap, my 1066mhz went down to 400mhz BIOS settings are auto, cant I just put it to 667mhz in BIOS? SO they will all work on that speed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #6
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You should be, but you should run the ram of the same speed... In other words, I'd remove the 667MHz ram and only use the 1066MHz ram. If you want more than 4GB, then I'd get more 1066MHz ram.

My suggestion
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #7
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ColdIce View Post
Crap, my 1066mhz went down to 400mhz BIOS settings are auto, cant I just put it to 667mhz in BIOS? SO they will all work on that speed?
The 1066MHz ram will default to the speed of the lowest rated module.

It is always better to run ram in matched pairs of the same brand. If you're going to run 4 sticks, then all of them should be of the same brand and rating.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #8
ColdIce

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
You should be, but you should run the ram of the same speed... In other words, I'd remove the 667MHz ram and only use the 1066MHz ram. If you want more than 4GB, then I'd get more 1066MHz ram.

My suggestion
That suggestion would have been awesome an hour ago cuz I just bought it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #9
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ColdIce View Post
That suggestion would have been awesome an hour ago cuz I just bought it
In a store or online? If at a store, take it back and swap it out. Even if bought online, you'd probably be able to do it, but you'd obviously have to wait longer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #10
ColdIce

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ColdIce View Post
That suggestion would have been awesome an hour ago cuz I just bought it
In a store or online? If at a store, take it back and swap it out. Even if bought online, you'd probably be able to do it, but you'd obviously have to wait longer.
I really dont think it matters, cuz according to memory speed test(actions per seconds) Im getting the same score now as before. So I dont think that it is slowing me down. The 1066mhz only ran at 800mhz because of my CPU so maybe this isnt so bad.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 cant see all memory




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
chkdsk high memory usage / memory leak
Has anyone else noticed that chkdsk uses all available physical memory (if you let it run long enough)? I find that if I run chkdsk and watch the memory usage in task manager it jumps by about 50MB every 2 seconds or so until it either finishes or hits around 3.2GB at which point my physical...
Performance & Maintenance
4Gb memory (2.75 Gb usable) memory remapping in bios causes BSOD
I recently did a new install of Windows 7 64 bit. I noticed windows showed 4Gb of ram (2.75Gb usable). I read tons of articles after googling this and tried several options to free up some more ram. I have 2 options in bios to change memory remapping over 4GB. S/W and H/W. When I enable S/W...
BSOD Help and Support
General Win7 memory leak and Unknown memory usage?
So I've had this problem for a few months with my thinkpad x220, win7 home premium 64 bit. I used ccleaner, run memtest86 multiple times, chkdsk multiple times, sfc scan multiple times, none that helped. Sfc always detects errors but always cannot fix some of them. I have mse, avast, and...
Performance & Maintenance
Troubleshooting Excessive Memory Use (Memory Leak?) after playing vid.
HI; I am having a problem with my memory getting tied up / used up and not being able to access it again until I reboot. Machine: Dell xps studio 8100 OS: Win 7, Processor: i7 2.8 RAM: 16GB (max it will take) Video: ATI Radeon 5700 (running 3 monitors) Versions: As far as I know I am...
Performance & Maintenance
LOW Computer Memory- ONLY 90MB or less Free Memory? Soo Slow?
Hello, i have a Windows 7 64bit OS and i am running a Laptop. Ever since i had this virus (Win32 malware gen) which kept coming up with a notifications of the virus on avast every 2-5 minutes my computer was running slow and when i deleted the virus, by dragging it in to the recycle bin and...
Performance & Maintenance
'Racetrack' Magnetic Memory could make memory 100,000 times faster
Source ScienceDaily (Nov. 15, 2010)
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App