Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New CPU - Slower than Old one.

04 Jul 2010   #1
Majiinfreddy

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
New CPU - Slower than Old one.

Hi.

New member incoming!

I was hoping some of you could help me with a problem I got.
Lets begin!

A couple of days ago I upgraded my Graphic card and my CPU, went up from a intel core duo2, 2.66ghz, e6750 to an intel core duo2 3ghz, e7400.
At first I had this nice problem where my BIOS was saying I had my CPU running at 98*C, which I knew was wrong. After a bit googling I found a Beta version update for my Abit ip35-e socked 775 motherboard that a lot of people said fixed the problem, And it did!
So, everything was running nice and smooth and I was happy!
But, of course, There had to be another problem.
My New CPU, which supposedly is better, is running slower then my old one. Not when comparing the GHz , but simply when I'm playing a game.
I get lag and even msn messenger is lagging a bit.
Note, I have only tried 1 game , All points bulletin, and browsing \ chatting at the same time, this is when the lag occurs.
There has been no change whatsoever to the system itself, beside the CPU change.
So my little brain tells me that there most be something wrong with the CPU, the settings or something..
(Note, the GPU was changed a couple of days earlier, with no problems during my old CPU)

Since I don't have much knowledge in this area, I kneel down in the dust, begging for help! =D

Help?!

Thanks for all replies!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jul 2010   #2
DeepUnknown

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

sometimes not connecting the CPU well might cause such problem, once i took off my Core 2 Quad CPU to clean the motherboard and after putting it back to it's place and turning on the computer i found a lag in performance, which made me take it off and reputing it back to it's place and that's when i got the performance back.
or it might be because of hardware conflict, but both CPU's are intel so don't think that's the problem.
Try taking it off then putting it back, if it didn't help reset bios settings, so it detects the new CPU and configure CPU settings according to your new one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #3
fishnbanjo

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

Could you list the RAM modules you are using and your FSB speed? Reason for asking is looking at the compatibility charts for your mobo and while the e7400 is a 775 socket CPU it is not listed in the Abit CPU compatibility reports but the e7200 and e7300 are. Just trying to see if you have anything that can pinpoint something, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jul 2010   #4
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Did you reset the bios after installing the new processor? Usually requires that for it to be detected and funtion properly.

Also the E7400 isn't that much faster than your older E6750,

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7400 (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SLB9Y, SLGQ8, SLGW3

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6750 (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SLA9V

140 MHz isn't much faster to the point of likely to not be noticeable short of running benchmarks. Also the E6750 has 1 MB more of L2 cache over the E7400 which can offset the small increase in clock speed. One more, the E6750 runs on a FSB of 1333 MHZ were the E7400 is at 1066 MHZ.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #5
Majiinfreddy

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Did you reset the bios after installing the new processor? Usually requires that for it to be detected and funtion properly.

Also the E7400 isn't that much faster than your older E6750,

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7400 (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SLB9Y, SLGQ8, SLGW3

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6750 (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SLA9V

140 MHz isn't much faster to the point of likely to not be noticeable short of running benchmarks. Also the E6750 has 1 MB more of L2 cache over the E7400 which can offset the small increase in clock speed. One more, the E6750 runs on a FSB of 1333 MHZ were the E7400 is at 1066 MHZ.

I did reset, yes =)
I don't understand much of that cache and FSB things.
Basically, Which is better for gaming? ^^


How do I find out what FSB speed my RAM is using? (or what fishnbanjo, said)

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #6
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote:
How do I find out what FSB speed my RAM is using?
This will show that info,

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Quote:
Basically, Which is better for gaming?
All things considering, the E6750. And it would even be better with a very small overclock to bring it up to the same speed as the E7400. Hate to say it but that CPU swap was side-grade and not an upgrade, and could even be considered a down-grade as with the exception of a slightly higher clock speed the E6750 is the better CPU on the rest of the specs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #7
Majiinfreddy

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote:
How do I find out what FSB speed my RAM is using?
This will show that info,

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Quote:
Basically, Which is better for gaming?
All things considering, the E6750. And it would even be better with a very small overclock to bring it up to the same speed as the E7400. Hate to say it but that CPU swap was side-grade and not an upgrade, and could even be considered a down-grade as with the exception of a slightly higher clock speed the E6750 is the better CPU on the rest of the specs.


RAM first:
DDR2, 5Gb, 408MHz, FSBRAM 2:3. Is that enough info?

But what if I overclock the new CPU?
And, this is sad news

Thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #8
Majiinfreddy

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeepUnknown View Post
sometimes not connecting the CPU well might cause such problem, once i took off my Core 2 Quad CPU to clean the motherboard and after putting it back to it's place and turning on the computer i found a lag in performance, which made me take it off and reputing it back to it's place and that's when i got the performance back.
or it might be because of hardware conflict, but both CPU's are intel so don't think that's the problem.
Try taking it off then putting it back, if it didn't help reset bios settings, so it detects the new CPU and configure CPU settings according to your new one.
I tried. But it didn't help

Thanks for the tips.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #9
fishnbanjo

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

408MHz? What manufacturer is the RAM Here is the tested compatible RAM for that mobo according to Abit Universal abit > Test Report

If you can return the e7400 I would and overclock the e6750 like stormy said.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #10
Majiinfreddy

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fishnbanjo View Post
408MHz? What manufacturer is the RAM Here is the tested compatible RAM for that mobo according to Abit Universal abit > Test Report

If you can return the e7400 I would and overclock the e6750 like stormy said.
Got 3x Kingston at 1gb each and 1x Twin-Mos at 2gb.
(At least that's what I remember)

I guess I should do that then =)
Clocking the e7500 won't help at all compared to a clocked e6750?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New CPU - Slower than Old one.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WU slower and slower - Not sure what to install
Hi, I've had my laptop since 2012. I've always had updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." Up until 2014, I installed every update listed under "Important". In May 2014, I installed KB2952664, it caused problems (can't remember the...
Windows Updates & Activation
HDD got slower
I did benchmark on my WD Blue 1TB a month ago with read and write around 135mb. Today i ran benchmark again and now read and write is down to 99mb. WTH is going on? i have ran wd diagnostic on my hdd and its healthy. Does it have anything to do with how full hdd is? I only have about 70gb left,...
Hardware & Devices
computer has got slower & slower to start up
Hi my win 7ultimate 64B with a gigabyte Ep41T-UD3L MB has slowler & slower starting up from a cold start Takes up to 30M to even get to bios But If tumned off for no more than 5mins, starts OK immediately I have tried different memory slots but no difference There is also a slight whine...
General Discussion
Extkernal hard drive slow access speeds getting slower and slower
I have a problem with my Hitachi 3tb duo pro drive external hard drive. As i put more files it seems to get slower in one folder. An example is today, the access speed to find a patients name in it ( about 6k folders) would take about 30 secs. Before that it would only take 10 seconds and when i...
Performance & Maintenance
64-bit slower than 32-bit..?
Hey guys, Today I switched from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 7, I have a 64-bit processor and 3GB of RAM, I know I technically couldve stayed on 32-bit but I thought well what the hell, I could do with formatting anyway. So I did it, and now it seems to be going just as slow as before on...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:24.
Twitter Facebook Google+