Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Memory

22 Jul 2010   #1
hiinhoc

windows7
 
 
Memory

hi everyone, i have a DDR3 RAM, but how come it only show 4gb instead of 6gb on my system? I ran the memTest overnight got 11 pass n 2 fails, i went and exchange for the new one, but it still show only 4gb. Why is this? Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jul 2010   #2
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hiinhoc View Post
hi everyone, i have a DDR3 RAM, but how come it only show 4gb instead of 6gb on my system? I ran the memTest overnight got 11 pass n 2 fails, i went and exchange for the new one, but it still show only 4gb. Why is this? Thanks.

Hi hiinhoc and welcome

It may be as simple as having the maximum memory check at 4 gigs instead of unchecked.

I assume you have a 64bit OS (for 32 bit cannot see 6 gigs).

Can you type msconfig in search and go to the advanced options tab. You will find both maximum memory (which should be unchecked) and maximum cpu's ( which also should be unchecked) Are they ?

BTW you should re-run memtest with the new RAM to be sure it is ok

See enclosed snip

Let us know if you need further assistance

Jan W
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2010   #3
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Welcome to the Seven Forums! hiinhoc

Since you replaced one of the dimms and seated the replacement in try reseating the other dimms present in case one of the others is raised up in the dimm slot if you are running three 2gb dimms. If a mix with 1gb dimms the smaller dimms may be seeing different timings or the wrong type.

With any old build you could expect that dust and debirs may cause this to be seen. That just happened here on one case being refurbished seeing a pair of 512mb dimm were suddenly only 512 out of 1gb was seen as usable? Reseated both dimms into air cleaned dimm sliots and 1gb is back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jul 2010   #4
hiinhoc

windows7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Welcome to the Seven Forums! hiinhoc

Since you replaced one of the dimms and seated the replacement in try reseating the other dimms present in case one of the others is raised up in the dimm slot if you are running three 2gb dimms. If a mix with 1gb dimms the smaller dimms may be seeing different timings or the wrong type.

With any old build you could expect that dust and debirs may cause this to be seen. That just happened here on one case being refurbished seeing a pair of 512mb dimm were suddenly only 512 out of 1gb was seen as usable? Reseated both dimms into air cleaned dimm sliots and 1gb is back.
thanks u guy for the reply, well this is brand new motherboard, brand new memory. And motherboard is compatible with DDR3 memory. And i did try to type in msconfig but i don't see the advance tab. Should i try different slot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #5
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

When opening the msconfig utility up look in the "boot tab>Advanced options button". The image attached to DMH's post earlier shows where that is. You can see the item for setting the maximum amount of memory in the second screen that comes up.

When looking to see how memory is installed where are you looking? In the system properties? or on the post screen at start up? or in the task manager>performance tab?

The post screen without any factory logo screen should report the full total immediately on the initial post tests there. The 32bit 7 will report the total it sees installed in the system properties while the task manager only reports the amount being used along with what is seen as free ram.

In some cases the bios settings on some boards will limit the usable amount of memory as well depending how the memory is being allocated. This is why DMH had asked if you were running the 32bit or 64bit 7 there since the 32bit kernel is limited to roughly 3.5gb usuable while it will show 4gb in the Control Panel>System information there.

I would need to reboot into the temp 32bit Vista install here but remember seeing 8gb reported while only having the 3.5gb due to this limitation. Presently on the 64bit with 8gb installed I see 1.83gb being used with different things running with 6.321gb free as reported in the task manager.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #6
MK2

 
 

Hi,

Maybe a simple question but if they are 2gb dimms did you put them in the same color slots?
Like slot 1, 3, 5 or slot 2, 4, 6

MK2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #7
cluberti

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hiinhoc View Post
hi everyone, i have a DDR3 RAM, but how come it only show 4gb instead of 6gb on my system? I ran the memTest overnight got 11 pass n 2 fails, i went and exchange for the new one, but it still show only 4gb. Why is this? Thanks.
2 things - one, is this x64 or x86 Windows 7? Two, if you run resmon and look at the memory tab, what does it show you for used/avail?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #8
hiinhoc

windows7
 
 

Quote:
Hi hiinhoc and welcome

It may be as simple as having the maximum memory check at 4 gigs instead of unchecked.

I assume you have a 64bit OS (for 32 bit cannot see 6 gigs).

Can you type msconfig in search and go to the advanced options tab. You will find both maximum memory (which should be unchecked) and maximum cpu's ( which also should be unchecked) Are they ?

BTW you should re-run memtest with the new RAM to be sure it is ok

See enclosed snip

Let us know if you need further assistance

Jan W
Attached Thumbnails
yup they both unchecked, and i did run the memTest and they is good. I'm using 64bits Windows 7. I"m using 1,2,3 slot. so i should use the same color slot or what? anyways, thanks you guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #9
hawkin90

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have the exact same thing. I've given up though.
Every test shows I have 8GB RAM but my system only uses 6GB.
I just concluded that my graphics card is using it.
But maybe your problem lies in the slots though, try changing to 1,3,5
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #10
MK2

 
 

Yes you should use the same color slots, normally slot 1, 3, 5.

MK2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Memory




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
chkdsk high memory usage / memory leak
Has anyone else noticed that chkdsk uses all available physical memory (if you let it run long enough)? I find that if I run chkdsk and watch the memory usage in task manager it jumps by about 50MB every 2 seconds or so until it either finishes or hits around 3.2GB at which point my physical...
Performance & Maintenance
4Gb memory (2.75 Gb usable) memory remapping in bios causes BSOD
I recently did a new install of Windows 7 64 bit. I noticed windows showed 4Gb of ram (2.75Gb usable). I read tons of articles after googling this and tried several options to free up some more ram. I have 2 options in bios to change memory remapping over 4GB. S/W and H/W. When I enable S/W...
BSOD Help and Support
General Win7 memory leak and Unknown memory usage?
So I've had this problem for a few months with my thinkpad x220, win7 home premium 64 bit. I used ccleaner, run memtest86 multiple times, chkdsk multiple times, sfc scan multiple times, none that helped. Sfc always detects errors but always cannot fix some of them. I have mse, avast, and...
Performance & Maintenance
Troubleshooting Excessive Memory Use (Memory Leak?) after playing vid.
HI; I am having a problem with my memory getting tied up / used up and not being able to access it again until I reboot. Machine: Dell xps studio 8100 OS: Win 7, Processor: i7 2.8 RAM: 16GB (max it will take) Video: ATI Radeon 5700 (running 3 monitors) Versions: As far as I know I am...
Performance & Maintenance
LOW Computer Memory- ONLY 90MB or less Free Memory? Soo Slow?
Hello, i have a Windows 7 64bit OS and i am running a Laptop. Ever since i had this virus (Win32 malware gen) which kept coming up with a notifications of the virus on avast every 2-5 minutes my computer was running slow and when i deleted the virus, by dragging it in to the recycle bin and...
Performance & Maintenance
'Racetrack' Magnetic Memory could make memory 100,000 times faster
Source ScienceDaily (Nov. 15, 2010)
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App