Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional

02 Aug 2010   #11
xceebeex

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Very little image compression except in the paid programs. It only uses that actual used space however, not the empty spaces.

What brought up my hesitation about Anytime releasing your Home Premium key for reuse is that I am not even sure which DVD would be used for a Repair Install on the Anytime Upgraded Pro.

I posed this here some months ago and received only conjecture that it might not be possible to Repair Install the unlocked Pro version since neither HP or Pro DVD's would likely work.

Based on the principle that an in-place Upgrade invalidates the underlying OS's activation (under the EULA only, there is no mechanism), I would have to guess that since Anytime is an Upgrade it would invalidate the underlying Win7 for further use under EULA.

Hence you probably will want to do either the Clean Install or the in-Place Upgrade workaround which completely wipes away the HP activation and resets it requiring the insertion of a Pro key.
Thanks for the follow-up. So can an in-place upgrade be done while keeping files and whatnot intact? It looks like that was possible when going from Vista to Windows 7, so I would hope that it is still possible when going from one Windows 7 to another.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Aug 2010   #12
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

Yes that is the only reason to do the in-place Upgrade workaround: it keeps your files, programs and settings in place. Activation is reset, Product Key must be installed fresh at Control Panel>System.

Technically it is a Repair Install, so you can read about it's exact process here: Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2010   #13
xceebeex

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Yes that is the only reason to do the in-place Upgrade workaround: it keeps your files, programs and settings in place. Activation is reset, Product Key must be installed fresh at Control Panel>System.

Technically it is a Repair Install, so you can read about it's exact process here: Repair Install
Thanks for the help, I think this is definitely the best option for me. I appreciate the help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Aug 2010   #14
xceebeex

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Also, just to verify; the "Repair-Install" can be used to upgrade from HP to Pro? And this should free up that HP license to be used on another machine?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #15
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
A tutorial to help. can be done in 10 mins.

Windows Anytime Upgrade - How to
The best way is anytime upgrade.
Anytime upgrade only adds on the Programs & Features from version to version.
No install files needed.
Only the Upgrade key is neeed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #16
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post
Also, just to verify; the "Repair-Install" can be used to upgrade from HP to Pro? And this should free up that HP license to be used on another machine?
Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to any retail version Icrontic Tech

This is a workaround that was given at the time millions of beta testers were needing to change from the RC beta to a retail version of Win7. It worked amazingly well in spite of MS warnings, and got rave reviews from everyone who tried it here. It worked fine in recent months, too.

It is possible now that the RC is expired, MS has sent out an update to disable it, however. Reading the comments in the original tutorial there was a fail on July 1st, and testing here in VM also failed today.

It is still worth a try as you'll only have to clean install if it fails and you need to do that anyway to be sure Anytime Upgrade doesn't block your underlying Premium key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #17
xceebeex

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
A tutorial to help. can be done in 10 mins.

Windows Anytime Upgrade - How to
The best way is anytime upgrade.
Anytime upgrade only adds on the Programs & Features from version to version.
No install files needed.
Only the Upgrade key is neeed.
My problem is that I am not sure if that will use the Professional key as the underlying validation versus the Home Premium and I haven't found a clear answer.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post
Also, just to verify; the "Repair-Install" can be used to upgrade from HP to Pro? And this should free up that HP license to be used on another machine?
Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to any retail version Icrontic Tech

This is a workaround that was given at the time millions of beta testers were needing to change from the RC beta to a retail version of Win7. It worked amazingly well in spite of MS warnings, and got rave reviews from everyone who tried it here. It worked fine in recent months, too.

It is possible now that the RC is expired, MS has sent out an update to disable it, however. Reading the comments in the original tutorial there was a fail on July 1st, and testing here in VM also failed today.

It is still worth a try as you'll only have to clean install if it fails and you need to do that anyway to be sure Anytime Upgrade doesn't block your underlying Premium key.
I wanted to try and do this without having to worry about going in and backing up everything on my desktop, so I am little nervous about "trying" something out. I might just have to suck it up and go through and back everything up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #18
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

Just worked for me changing the reg keys to Professional from my Ultimate Signature edition:


Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional-capture3.png

Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional-capture.png

Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional-capture4.png

Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional-capture2.png




My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #19
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Anytime upgrade, will upgrade to any higher version.
Have read of the tutorial & the MS link at the bottom.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #20
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Just worked for me only changing the reg keys to Professional from my Ultimate Signature edition:








How long did it take to do the upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
HELP! windows not upgrading from home premium x32 to professional x64!
Right now I'm trying to upgrade my computer to make full use of all 32 GB of ram I have. I am running windows 7 home premium 32 bit, and I'm trying to upgrade to professional 64 bit. I burned the .iso file onto a DVD-R disk(I don't think this is the problem), but when I boot from it it says device...
Installation & Setup
BSOD after upgrading from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium
Hi, I've been having BSOD problems(I don't actually see a BSOD the power just goes off) ever since I upgraded from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium. It occasionally happens during start-up or randomly(no specific program or website) at other times. It will also occasionally freeze and then...
BSOD Help and Support
Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional
I'm purchasing a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 machine that I want to upgrade to Pro to be able to use the virtual & XP mode features on. I have quite a bit of 16 bit installer programs that appear to run okay on Windows 7 32 bit but not Windows 7 64 bit. Has anyone done an upgrade from 64 bit to 32...
General Discussion
Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional???
My laptop has Windows Visa Home Premium installed and I need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. What path can I take to upgrade it without losing my settings (i.e. user acccounts, background, etc.)
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Professional vs. Home Premium
So I've done some research and kept up with all the info pouring out over the past few months and I'm trying to decide which version of Windows 7 to buy. Here are a few questions you smarties can probably answer with ease!: 1. I'm looking at getting the Full not upgrade copy of either version I...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+