Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Boot problem

13 Sep 2010   #21
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

After I posted that last one I realized what you want, you want to make " Z " boot independently using the BIOS, correct, as in, having only disk 1 connected at boot?



If that's what you want then you got the answer in my post #4




If this isn't right I quit on this thread.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Sep 2010   #22
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post


You need to run 3 separate startup repairs with a system restart between each repair to create boot files to the "Disk 1 Z:" while it's the only HDD connected.



Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times




After it's a "Primary" you will have mark it as "Active" and do this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #23
netsoul

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post


You need to run 3 separate startup repairs with a system restart between each repair to create boot files to the "Disk 1 Z:" while it's the only HDD connected.



Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times




After it's a "Primary" you will have mark it as "Active" and do this.
I am sorry but now I don't understand you. Which partition? Disk 1 partion 2 (X?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Sep 2010   #24
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

My bad, I did write Z when I meant X, this is the one you want to boot independently? you have "how" now.

Boot problem-capture222.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #25
netsoul

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
My bad, I did write Z when I meant X, this is the one you want to boot independently? you have "how" now.
Attachment 97495
OK, I got you, thanks. I'll try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #26
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

It's not as big a deal as it looks; be sure to post back after you've finished with an update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #27
netsoul

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
My bad, I did write Z when I meant X, this is the one you want to boot independently? you have "how" now.
Attachment 97495
But I am still confused why should I covert it to primary and make active? It worked in this configuration until I messed up the MBR (as i suspect).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #28
gregrocker

 

When you overwrote XP you deleted the System MBR for the DISK1 Dual Boot which was on XP partition.

It allowed you to install Win7 to a Logical drive in the first place only because Win7 configured the dual boot placing the System MBR on the first active partition (XP) since a Logical partition cannot be marked Active or made System drive.

So now that you have deleted the System partition, in order to repair Win7 to boot on its own you must mark it Active to run Startup Repair X3 to recover the System MBR into Win7 partition. But that cannot be done on a Logical partition, hence the reason you must convert it to Primary first.

Feel free to ask any further questions to clear this up and proceed..

Again, you will have far less problems booting Ubuntu and both Win7 if you place them on separate HD's and boot via BIOS rather than using GRUB where it can interfere with Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #29
netsoul

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When you overwrote XP you deleted the System MBR for the DISK1 Dual Boot which was on XP partition.

It allowed you to install Win7 to a Logical drive in the first place only because Win7 configured the dual boot placing the System MBR on the first active partition (XP) since a Logical partition cannot be marked Active or made System drive.

So now that you have deleted the System partition, in order to repair Win7 to boot on its own you must mark it Active to run Startup Repair X3 to recover the System MBR into Win7 partition. But that cannot be done on a Logical partition, hence the reason you must convert it to Primary first.

Feel free to ask any further questions to clear this up and proceed..

Again, you will have far less problems booting Ubuntu and both Win7 if you place them on separate HD's and boot via BIOS rather than using GRUB where it can interfere with Win7.
Thank you and other folks for detailed explanation. I got it. I'll try later today.

My only concern is not to destroy the information on other partitions during this process (although I have a backup)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Boot problem




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Boot from one of 2 attached drives with BIOS boot order no problem?
I got a SSD now in my system connected to the first sata port with win7 installed My previous (mechanical) sata hard disk who was prev. setup on this port is still usable and also has win7 installed on it. i wnat to use it as a experiment setup. If I connect this old hdd to another sata port say...
Installation & Setup
Weird boot problem after rescue CD boot fix
Hello. Just like the title says. I installed linux and grub, which kinda screwed up my windows boot. Long story short, i used rescue CD to do the fixboot => fixmbr => rebuild bcd. After that i wanted to install linux again, but none of my flash drives are recongnized as being bootable. I tried a...
General Discussion
Dual Boot problem, Ubuntu is the main boot
hello I have Asus laptop with OEM Win7 HomeP 64bit on it, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 along side with Win7, didn't know that Ubuntu will be the main boot, I used Ubuntu 11.10 a year a go and Windows was my main boot, I tired several way to retrieve Win7 as main boot but didn't work. I tried to...
Installation & Setup
Dual boot with cloned copy - boot problem
Hi all, I have windows 7 x64 installed, and need to copy that partition to another partition on the same drive, and be able to boot between the two using EasyBCD. One will be normal/office stuff, the other will be music production stuff. I copied the partition (C) using Acronis (bootCD mode)...
Installation & Setup
Problem reverting from Dual Boot to Single Boot
My situation is almost identical to that of the OP in https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22578-convert-dual-boot-single-boot-2-hds.html. I have 2 HDDs both of which are partitioned so that the OS and data files are on separate partitions. Windows 7 Home Premium is on a 500GB SATA (i.e....
Installation & Setup
Windows boot up problem in dual boot(win 7 & OSx86)
I was having win 7 RTM and i tried to installl OSx86 in second hard disk after few failure i successfully installed OSx86 in my secondary had disk now the problem is that i cant boot win 7 i changed boot order i tried windows 7 disk repair but both failed im getting some Boot mldr...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App