Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: please don't laugh...

21 Oct 2010   #91
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Wow, one hell of a week.

Alright, since the integrity of the drive and whatnot seems to be in question...

Can you download Ubuntu, burn it to a CD, and then boot onto it? I just want to check that everything is more or less working alright. We will also be able to see your partitions (and work with them) from within Ubuntu.
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

~Lordbob


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Oct 2010   #92
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

What stage are you at now ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #93
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Wow, one hell of a week.

Alright, since the integrity of the drive and whatnot seems to be in question...

Can you download Ubuntu, burn it to a CD, and then boot onto it? I just want to check that everything is more or less working alright. We will also be able to see your partitions (and work with them) from within Ubuntu.
Download | Ubuntu

~Lordbob
That we can do with the Win 7 DVD or with a WiN 7 System Repair Disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Oct 2010   #94
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Wow, one hell of a week.

Alright, since the integrity of the drive and whatnot seems to be in question...

Can you download Ubuntu, burn it to a CD, and then boot onto it? I just want to check that everything is more or less working alright. We will also be able to see your partitions (and work with them) from within Ubuntu.
Download | Ubuntu

~Lordbob
That we can do with the Win 7 DVD or with a WiN 7 System Repair Disc.
You can't boot into Windows without installing it first...

My point is that it will be a lot easier to work with since she is having problems with the harddrive booting.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #95
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

My good man.

You boot up the Win 7 DVD and at the first dialog you push SHIFT F10 key combo. This gets you to a WinPE installed in ram. From this point, with DiskPart you can do everything and more than disk managment does.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #96
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
My good man.

You boot up the Win 7 DVD and at the first dialog you push SHIFT F10 key combo. This gets you to a WinPE installed in ram. From this point, with DiskPart you can do everything and more than disk managment does.
I never knew that...
Learn something everyday I suppose.

In that case, we don't need to use Ubuntu (though we still could).
My only other concern is the disk she has. I know she mentioned it, but I know it was not a full install disk...

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #97
mypcbroke

Windows Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Ok, aside from the past few posts confusing me, I am currently at GWScan and I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I have these options:
Select Drive
Check Smart Status
Quick Test
Extended Test
Write Zeros To Drive
View Test Results
Print Test Results
Log File Open/Close
Help
Quit

?which do I pick?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #98
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

You may be getting "Logical" partitions by default when you create them using Partition Wizard as the default is logical and Windows cannot / is not able to boot (start) from a logical partition; be sure to pay attention when presented with this dialog box.

click to enlarge
please don't laugh...-create_primary.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #99
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

You're right BFK, the System Reserved partition is now 'Logical' and should be 'Primary'.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mypcbroke View Post
You need to give partition a drive letter in PW to Check File System. WHile you're at it, Resize partition to include whole HD.


How do I give the partition a drive letter?
Also, I'm not sure what you mean with resive to include whole HD.
Currently, I have 2. One with 297.99GB (Primary Active) and the other has 104.47MB (logical)

You need to change this: the other has 104.47MB (logical), to a Primary Partition.

This was initially setup as your System Reserved Boot Partition.
It will Fail to install as the boot files are there and the OS is in the other Partition.

Boot into the Partition Wizard CD and change the 104.47MB partition to Primary and Active.
First, Partition Tab > Modify > Set Partition as Primary
Then, Partition Tab > Modify > Set Active
Make sure they are both 'Primary' partitions.

Then post a camera shot of PW with the two partitions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2010   #100
mypcbroke

Windows Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mypcbroke View Post
Ok, to clarify, I am doing these steps:
Boot DVD, press shift F10 to open a Command Line, type:
DISKPART
SELECT DISK 0
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
FORMAT FS=NTFS
ASSIGN letter=C
EXIT (only exits Diskpart)
CHKDSK C: /f
EXIT
Ok, I did this step then per the suggestion of other I booted PW again. Now I only have 1 partition listed...
Partition *:
File Stystem
NTFS
Capacity
298.09 GB
Used
95.05 MB
Unused
298.00 GB
Status
Active
Type
Primary

?confused
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 please don't laugh...




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How About A Laugh
You'll have to watch a commercial to get to the goodies. Watch Ballmer promote Windows 1.0 in 1985 - Video - Technology
Chillout Room
Don't laugh at me please!
Okay I know this is probably a stupid question but I have one HD in my machine that came with three partitions on it. The first partition is some little tiny space that doesn't show up when you boot up but shows up on when you do the OS install called Recovery-OEM The second is aprox 40GB...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App