Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Missing Boot Manager can't be repaired How to, please.

01 Nov 2010   #31
Neophile

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Unfortunately, this would be very easy to fix with an upgrade install, but you want to keep your programs and settings.
I have over 120 programs installed. It will be a long and hard job reinstalling and customizing everything, one month or more. That is why I asked you if when doing as your tutorial the new installation would inherit this issue, because your way would save everything, and that is great.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Could you unplug all but the Seven hard drive, and then run startup repair?
Perhaps you could reinstall the bootloader onto the Seven harddrive?
Sorry, I've done exactly that before. I run Startup Repair three times with a reboot after each one. Here are the results (log):

Root cause found:
Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully.
(Not true)
and
Root cause found:
Unexpected changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.


All other results on the log are Error = 0x0. When booting normally right after finishing the 3rd repair with the XP drive unplugged, it reboots immediately after the shrinking/growing logo. For me it looks like Startup Repair did install the bootloader, but it does not finish booting, and that is the problem.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Nov 2010   #32
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neophile View Post
I have over 120 programs installed. It will be a long and hard job reinstalling and customizing everything, one month or more. That is why I asked you if when doing as your tutorial the new installation would inherit this issue, because your way would save everything, and that is great.
The problem is that an upgrade install would save all your data, but you would need to reinstall all the programs.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neophile View Post
Sorry, I've done exactly that before. I run Startup Repair three times with a reboot after each one. Here are the results (log):

Root cause found:
Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully.
(Not true)
and
Root cause found:
Unexpected changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.


All other results on the log are Error = 0x0. When booting normally right after finishing the 3rd repair with the XP drive unplugged, it reboots immediately after the shrinking/growing logo. For me it looks like Startup Repair did install the bootloader, but it does not finish booting, and that is the problem.
But did you do that with JUST the windows 7 harddrive plugged in?

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #33
Neophile

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
But did you do that with JUST the windows 7 harddrive plugged in?
Yes, the drive with the XP is the SATA3, the one direcly connected to the board, with the small SATA plug, very easy to desconnect. I did not disconnect Disk 1 because, as I said, it is a "dead drive" with no OS, no root files; it is a dead weight. It does boot, but reboots just after the logo, when the blue "Please wait" screen should appear.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
The problem is that an upgrade install would save all your data, but you would need to reinstall all the programs.
If I could enter the OS and atarted the installation from there I could chose the "Upgrade", and it would be like a hot fix keeping everuthing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Nov 2010   #34
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neophile View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
The problem is that an upgrade install would save all your data, but you would need to reinstall all the programs.
If I could enter the OS and atarted the installation from there I could chose the "Upgrade", and it would be like a hot fix keeping everuthing.
No. You should be able to run the upgrade install from the CD without being in Windows.
It still would not keep your programs though. You would HAVE to reinstall them all.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #35
Neophile

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

When I start the computer directly from the Windows installation disc, the Upgrade option on the upper part of the window states that the Upgrade that keeps all files, settings and programs "is only available when an existing version of Windows is running". If I go on and click on Upgrade, the next window tels me that opion is not available, and to restart, take the disc out of the computer, start Windows normally and then start the Installation disc. As you know, my problem is exactly because the OS doesn't finish booting, so I can't do what is recommended. Is there a way to turn around this? If there is, please tell me how.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #36
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neophile View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
But did you do that with JUST the windows 7 harddrive plugged in?
Yes, the drive with the XP is the SATA3, the one direcly connected to the board, with the small SATA plug, very easy to desconnect. I did not disconnect Disk 1 because, as I said, it is a "dead drive" with no OS, no root files; it is a dead weight. It does boot, but reboots just after the logo, when the blue "Please wait" screen should appear.
I asked you to unplug all other HD's to try Startup Repair, not leave one plugged in because it is only a "dead drive with no OS" although "it does boot...."

Did you also ignore the repeated requests to set Win7 HD as first to boot in BIOS setup?

Try actually unplugging all other HD's to run the Repairs.

Then try again with Win7 HD plugged into your SATA 3 port, also set as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, since this is the SATA controller booting your System drive.

Next turn around and plug only the XP HD with System drive into DISK0 position to see how it boots there. If so, plug Win7 HD into DISK1 and see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #37
Neophile

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Thank you very much for the continued help.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Then try again with Windows 7 HD plugged into your SATA 3 port, also set as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, since this is the SATA controller booting your System drive.
I can't do this because Windows 7 is in an ATA disk not connectable to a SATA port as you can see on the list below. Any other way, please?

Disk # . . . . Size . . . . . . Type . . . .[Names]
------- . . . . -------- . . . .------- . . .--------------------------------
Disk 0 . . . . 112 GB . . . . ATA . . . . Windows 7
Disk 1 . . . . . 72 GB . . . . ATA . . . . Backup (No OS, no root files)
Disk 2 . . . . 963 GB . . . . SATA . . . Windows XP & Basic
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #38
gregrocker

 

Did you try running Startup Repair x3 on Disk0 with all other HD's unplugged?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #39
Neophile

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Not yet. I was waiting for you instruction to do it in a sequence without plugguing the disk with XP where I have to come to read your post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2010   #40
Neophile

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

gregrocker,

Can you clarify my doubt on my preceding post, please?


Edit:
Sorry, I missed your answer because there was a page change and I kept waiting in here. I am going to tey now,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Missing Boot Manager can't be repaired How to, please.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Boot Manager is missing
Hi, I have gateway NV53 and has windows 7 x64 home premium 64 bit os installed in it. Last week I installed lenux ubuntu on the same machine with assigned 100 gb partition. After installing ubuntu I restarted my machine and message popped up saying bootmgr is missing. Tried few ways to get rid of...
Backup and Restore
boot manager missing
Hi everyone. im at my wits end. with this one it all started when yes i was trying to move drive partions to make my c drive larger and in the process must have deleted the bootmanager. now when i boot up all i get is this BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart i have tried to reboot...
General Discussion
Boot manager is missing
I have laptop HP IE windows 7 .. all I have is a black screen with boot manager is missing and underneath that is cetrl, altr, delet which I did and nothing happened . can somebody please help . thanks Roz
General Discussion
Missing boot manager
When receiving this message on boot up attempt running windows 7 home premium on a dell 1545 laptop with a fresh install and new hard drive would the problem be hardware related or software? Any chance it could be hardware related to the motherboard or is it most likely software related to the OS...
General Discussion
XP + Seven: Boot Manager missing on XP
Hello all, I use XP on my machine with two 300 GB HDs configured as RAID1 (Nvidia NForce 570 SLI). There are two partitions C (100 GB) for system and D (remaining 200 GB) for data. All is working fine. Now I try to install Windows 7. First I resized D by 100 GB and installed W7 on this new...
Installation & Setup
Boot manager is missing
I have just done a clean install of 7 RC but my machine wont boot without the disk in the drive. If I take it out is says boot manager is missing ctrl alt del to restart. If i do a reinstall will I lose all that I have done? Is it possible to download and install a boot manager and if so how? ...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App