Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't name a folder in my document "My Pictures"???!

05 Nov 2010   #1
Monsoon

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Can't name a folder in my document "My Pictures"???!

Ok, now i've seen everything.

I can't name a folder "My Pictures" in my documents.

Any attempt to do so, and I get a nice little popup telling me the folder will be moved somewhere else.

Why on earth would Microsoft have a problem with this?

And sure, I can name the folder Microsoft is Stupid, or something, but why have to rename it at all?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Nov 2010   #2
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Yes, I get this message. How about My Pictures 001 ?


Attached Thumbnails
Can't name a folder in my document "My Pictures"???!-my_picturesfolder_problem.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2010   #3
Monsoon

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yeah I know I can just rename it easy enough.

But it's just so silly, that it makes me nuts.

For one thing, now if I want all my pictures in my documents, I will have to open up my document, then the picture folder everytime I want to access the pics, instead of the normal Start/pictures.

Or I could do it Microsoft's way, let the os put the pics where it wants. But then when I go to backup all my stuff, I'll always have to remember to look for the pictures folder, too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Nov 2010   #4
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Monsoon, welcome to Seven Forums!



Don't you think it's even sillier to expect to name a folder/file to something that already exists?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2010   #5
mborner

Windows 7 Pro/32 Academic. Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
Yeah I know I can just rename it easy enough.

But it's just so silly, that it makes me nuts.

For one thing, now if I want all my pictures in my documents, I will have to open up my document, then the picture folder everytime I want to access the pics, instead of the normal Start/pictures.

Or I could do it Microsoft's way, let the os put the pics where it wants. But then when I go to backup all my stuff, I'll always have to remember to look for the pictures folder, too.
The "My Documents" folder already contains a folder named "My Pictures", so, obviously, you can't locate that folder there. The big question is, if the folder already exists there, why would you need to create another one?
You are really going against the grain, here, trying to use, and manipulate Windows in a way that it was not designed to work. If you let Windows decide where to store your photos, they will show up in Start/pictures, so, I don't see what the issue is, there. As a matter of fact, no matter where they are stored, they will still appear in Start/pictures. (A wonderful libraries feature).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2010   #6
Monsoon

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

my documents does not already contain such a folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2010   #7
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

But the label "My Pictures" has been in use by MS for years.

click to enlarge
Can't name a folder in my document "My Pictures"???!-untitled.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2010   #8
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Hmmm, wonder how I got a My pictures folder under My Documents then? There is still also one under my account name in Users.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #9
Monsoon

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
But the label "My Pictures" has been in use by MS for years.
click to enlarge
Attachment 111586
That pic was not taken from within "My Documents".

The "My Documents" folder in my computer is empty. And to be clear, I am speaking of the "My Documents" as is accessed by way of Start > My Documents.

I don't know if I deleted the "My Pictures" folder from "My Documents" during the install, but at the moment the "My Documents" folder is EMPTY.

And when I try to put a folder named "My Pictures" into the "My Documents" folder, it says there is already a folder in there named "My Pictures", when in fact the folder is EMPTY.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #10
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
But the label "My Pictures" has been in use by MS for years.
click to enlarge
Attachment 111586
That pic was not taken from within "My Documents".

The "My Documents" folder in my computer is empty. And to be clear, I am speaking of the "My Documents" as is accessed by way of Start > My Documents.

I don't know if I deleted the "My Pictures" folder from "My Documents" during the install, but at the moment the "My Documents" folder is EMPTY.

And when I try to put a folder named "My Pictures" into the "My Documents" folder, it says there is already a folder in there named "My Pictures", when in fact the folder is EMPTY.
I'm aware of that, my point is that you are trying to nane a file to a name reserved for MS use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't name a folder in my document "My Pictures"???!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
missing "my pictures" folder in users, folder renamed itself
I have such a mess going I am making another post to avoid confusion ( mostly in me ) I will try to explain. I have a ssd for the os and then a hd for "D" storage, Lets say my user name is "Harry" and I wanted to move some user/harry folders to the "D" drive, I wanted to place the moved...
General Discussion
Lost all my pictures in my "My Pictures" Folder
I randomly lost all my pictures in my "My Pictures" Folder I don't understand why and what would the best way to go about fixing it. I have done data recovery before but I'm not sure other things may have been lost as well.
Backup and Restore
Any way to delete either "My Pictures" or "Pictures" folder in Win 7?
The frustration has been for more than 2 years now. I tried to move the photo folders & files from "My Pictures" to "Pictures" but Window's geniouses did not give us that option. I do not need to click to "My Pictures" since they are ALL MY pictures. So are we stuck with this decision or is there a...
General Discussion
"My document" folder on a remote disk (NAS)
Hi, In my company I have a windows 2008 server. And synology NAS. On the server, there is a strategy that redirects the "my document" folder to the NAS, in the directory \\datas\home\Documents. It works find on windows XP OS, but not on Windows 7. I mean, the folder is not redirected, so I...
Network & Sharing
Unable to access all pictures from XP's "My Pictures" folder
Mods: Please read this thread before merging it with a different thread that has nothing to do with this issue. This is not the same issue I was having with being unable to access the WinXP "My Documents" folder in Win7. -- I discussed previously that I was unable to access my XP...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App