Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What's the next generation install media?

21 Jun 2009   #1
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
What's the next generation install media?

DVDs are becoming old technology. What is the next way we will buy windows at retail? Flash drive? ISO over the internet? Something to do with flash media? What do you think. It has to come pretty soon. The DVD drive is going the way of the floppy!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jun 2009   #2
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
DVDs are becoming old technology. What is the next way we will buy windows at retail? Flash drive? ISO over the internet? Something to do with flash media? What do you think. It has to come pretty soon. The DVD drive is going the way of the floppy!
I was thinking it would go the easy way and be either both SD Cards and Flash drives, or SD Cards. =P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
dvd of the future

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
I was thinking it would go the easy way and be either both SD Cards and Flash drives, or SD Cards. =P
I like the idea and with the increase in memory and decrease in cost I see a future there.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jun 2009   #4
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
I like the idea and with the increase in memory and decrease in cost I see a future there.

Ken
Well heres my concept art for the day.

Attachment 15162
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
nice art

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
Well heres my concept art for the day.

Attachment 15162
Nice I gotta get me one of those win 7 installers

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #6
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I'll bet the next generation "Windows 8" or whatever will have choices like these. I almost don't need a DVD drive now except for software. Are DVDs supposed to last longer or be more stable than flash media? or is it just a cost thing I wonder?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #7
Frostbite

 

I think DVD's have some life left in them yet. Mainly due to the cost of pressed media being so little compared to other forms of data storage. Just look at the humble CD, going since 1982.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #8
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
I think DVD's have some life left in them yet. Mainly due to the cost of pressed media being so little compared to other forms of data storage. Just look at the humble CD, going since 1982.
That is true. Look at Ubuntu for example, they will send free copies of Ubuntu x86, Kubuntu x86 and Ubuntu Server Edition x64 on CD.

They also sell DVD versions in their store, along with Flash Drives that have Ubuntu on them. They have the right idea and its working well for them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #9
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
That is true. Look at Ubuntu for example, they will send free copies of Ubuntu x86, Kubuntu x86 and Ubuntu Server Edition x64 on CD.

They also sell DVD versions in their store, along with Flash Drives that have Ubuntu on them. They have the right idea and its working well for them.
I did not know Ubuntu was doing that. Good idea. I just happen to be running Ubuntu right now for the first time in weeks or months...haha It's fun to play with now and then. If I wan't so familiar with Windows i would probably be running it a a lot more.

Interesting they are offering flash drives to install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2009   #10
antalgebra

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Build 7268.0.090701-1900
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
DVDs are becoming old technology. What is the next way we will buy windows at retail? Flash drive? ISO over the internet? Something to do with flash media? What do you think. It has to come pretty soon. The DVD drive is going the way of the floppy!
Win7 will be sold on USB thumb drives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What's the next generation install media?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Automatic Password Generation
Had a concept that I wanted to see if there's a way to implement. I'd like my Windows password to change daily based on an algorithm - For example: "1234" followed by the day of the month and a number representing the day of the week. So for Tuesday August 16th, my password would be...
System Security
ipod 2nd generation and windows
My ipod 2nd generation is recognised by i tunes on my new windows 7 computer, appears on the screen but I cannot upload any files from itune to it. I installed some updating software " iPod Updater 2006-01-10" as suggested by apple but still no success. Any advice? Thanks
Hardware & Devices
The generation gap: Windows on multicore
The generation gap: Windows on multicore Read the rest of the 4 page article here: The generation gap: Windows on multicore | Platforms - InfoWorld It is well worth the time. While I feel that the Author loves XP a little too much, and is of the crowd that thinks Seven is just a...
News
Please help me rationalize the x25-m Generation 2 80 gb
Guys, I am in a dilemma, it hurts my feelings to spend 300 on an 80 gb drive, but the speeds of the x25-m G2 are Amazing... random read/write AnandTech: The SSD Relapse: Understanding and Choosing the Best SSD sequential read/write (I'll put it in my HTPC as the OS... sequential write really...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App