Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help finding compatible drivers for laptop with only vista supplied

13 Feb 2011   #1
turtlebain

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 
Help finding compatible drivers for laptop with only vista supplied

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E from a friend which had vista on it. I was initially just going to do a system wipe for him and give it back from him to sell, then he told me he was only looking to get a hundered out of it >> MINE.

This laptop will replace my netbook with the annoyingly slow hyperthreaded 1.6. Only problem is they don't supply Windows 7 drivers, only Vista.. and only 32-bit. I have attached a full specification sheet from Piriform's Speccy, and a device manager screenshot with what I don't think Windows 7 will pick up automatically expanded.




Attached Thumbnails
Help finding compatible drivers for laptop with only vista supplied-untitled.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt OWNER-PC.txt (20.5 KB, 8 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Feb 2011   #2
gregrocker

 

If you still have Vista on it, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

The Win7 installer is mostly driver-complete, with newer arriving quickly via optional Windows Updates. Enable hardware driver auto-updating to assure this: Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware

Any drivers then missing in Device manager can be found on the Support Downloads webpage for computer model - Vista drivers will work ok - or for the Device itself.

You qualify for Upgrade version with Vista OEM, but I'd wipe the HD to get the cleanest possible install: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

If you install to wiped HD, the installer will issue a 100mb System Reserved boot partition which conveniently places the Repair Console (normally only on the DVD or Repair CD) on the F8 Advanced Boot Tools menu. So I would choose Custom Install and then Drive Options to partition as you wish and format: Clean Install Windows 7

Leave the Product key blank during install if you wipe the HD, then afterwards do the quick registry workaround given in this tutorial to allow activation with upgrade version key: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Install updates and then programs slowly over time to gauge performance after each. Don't let any programs write themselves into msconfig>Startup as they slow startup, become freeloaders on your RAM/CPU and can spy on you. I only allow AV and gadgets. Startup Programs - Change

Use a lightweight free AV like MS Security Essentials which works perfectly with Windows 7 Firewall. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

When it is finished, clean and order the HD perfectly using state-of-the-art free CCleaner then Auslogics Disk Defragger monthly.
CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-D...-10567503.html

Then save a Windows 7 Backup image externally so you never have to reinstall again, just reimage the HD or replacement using DVD or Repair CD. Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #3
turtlebain

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you still have Vista on it, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

The Win7 installer is mostly driver-complete, with newer arriving quickly via optional Windows Updates. Enable hardware driver auto-updating to assure this: Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware

Any drivers then missing in Device manager can be found on the Support Downloads webpage for computer model - Vista drivers will work ok - or for the Device itself.

You qualify for Upgrade version with Vista OEM, but I'd wipe the HD to get the cleanest possible install: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

If you install to wiped HD, the installer will issue a 100mb System Reserved boot partition which conveniently places the Repair Console (normally only on the DVD or Repair CD) on the F8 Advanced Boot Tools menu. So I would choose Custom Install and then Drive Options to partition as you wish and format: Clean Install Windows 7

Leave the Product key blank during install if you wipe the HD, then afterwards do the quick registry workaround given in this tutorial to allow activation with upgrade version key: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Install updates and then programs slowly over time to gauge performance after each. Don't let any programs write themselves into msconfig>Startup as they slow startup, become freeloaders on your RAM/CPU and can spy on you. I only allow AV and gadgets. Startup Programs - Change

Use a lightweight free AV like MS Security Essentials which works perfectly with Windows 7 Firewall. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

When it is finished, clean and order the HD perfectly using state-of-the-art free CCleaner then Auslogics Disk Defragger monthly.
CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-D...-10567503.html

Then save a Windows 7 Backup image externally so you never have to reinstall again, just reimage the HD or replacement using DVD or Repair CD. Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Thanks for the enormous amount of detail. Yeah, I use the software you just mentioned on all my computers. Usually use Piriform Defraggler instead of the mentioned in combination with windows defrag.. would there be any advantage to using the ausligics?

I do nothing but clean installs, however I did not know you could do a clean install from an upgrade.

I want to use drivers that are meant for or okay'd for windows 7, I know that many will 'work' in compatibility mode, but I also believe there is a reason thery're not win 7 signed drivers, and they wont be the most efficient to use. In my experiences I have been very pleased with the lack of effort I have to put into the 'post install' portion of a full reboot. Just recently, I reset a friend's computer to XP sp3 from sp...0. Ahh the good old days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Feb 2011   #4
gregrocker

 

Defraggler is comparable to Auslogics.

I would not change out any drivers given by the Win7 installer or quickly updated by optional Windows Updates unless there is a performance reason to do so. Win7 is the top authority on its drivers. MS spent a fortune getting them into the installer and via Updates. This is not comparable at all to Vista or XP.

Feel free to keep us posted on your progress, and enjoy Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2011   #5
turtlebain

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I would not change out any drivers given by the Win7
Agreed

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
This is not comparable at all to Vista or XP.
I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying. How much of a pain in the a** XP was to install vs. Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #6
turtlebain

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

running startup disk>diskpart> clean all currently.. apparently itll take about 1 hour to complete.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #7
gregrocker

 

Clean All takes about an hour per 320gb normally. If it takes too long, run the HD maker's diag/repair extended CD scan followed by Disk Check from the DVD Repair options Command Line.

I was not referring to your XP example in my comments, only speaking generically since many seem to think that old XPired driver procedures still apply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #8
turtlebain

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

It did take a long time, about 2 hours for my 200 GB. I used Windows' 100 MB recovery partition just like you suggested. And ran updates. I still have yet to activate using the workaround, and therefore I do not have anti-virus because I'm holding out for MS Security Essentials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #9
turtlebain

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You qualify for Upgrade version with Vista OEM, but I'd wipe the HD to get the cleanest possible install: ]
I am trying to figure out what this means..

All I have right at this moment is my OEM Vista license on the sticker via the bottom of the laptop. What must I do to get my Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade key?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #10
gregrocker

 

Didn't you buy Win7 to get the installation DVD? Use the Product Key which came in the package.

Since you've wiped the HD do the quick registry edit in this tutorial to activate Upgrade Version on a wiped HD: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

If you haven't bought your key yet: Make sure you need all of the features in Ultimate, as most users can get by fine with Home Premium which is quite a bit cheaper. Right now HP Upgrade family 3-pack is $129 which is 3 licenses for almost the price of one. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare

I would not buy a key off of ebay or any but major retailers, Newegg, Amazon, etc.

If you need more time to shop for Win7: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-120-days.html

We can also help you change to a lesser version if necessary, or reinstall the Vista which is licensed on that machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help finding compatible drivers for laptop with only vista supplied




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Finding a win7, 64bit compatible version of an old nVidia driver...
So, to make a long story short, I have a computer I'm supposed to fix for a friend. It gets lots of graphics artifacts, black boxes, colored dots, etc. It has an Asrock motherboard (an unusual board with both AGP and PCI-E) and a GeForce 7900gs (AGP). After much reading, I have determined that...
Graphic Cards
Need help finding a good monitor for xbox 360/7 compatible
I want one thats not over $400.20"-35" is fine. Looking for: 10000000:1 contrast ratio 2ms response time 120hz 1080(1920 x 1080) That is just all I know to look for in a monitor.Basicly whatever gives best gaming experiance and also able to work on 7 also.I would really like a 3D,but fell...
Hardware & Devices
re-install 7 on laptop ? ,no discs supplied.
Need to reinstall win7 on an asus laptop, which when purchased new, no discs were supplied as the win7 data backup was on an extra partition. had made the Discs as recommended, during the setup process. have read other posts about creating an image file, and clicking setup.exe, to install...
Installation & Setup
How do I force Win 7 to use Vendor-Supplied USB-Midi Device Drivers?
Hello everyone, I just discovered this nice forum! I have a Casio USB-Midi keyboard, which I've been using with Windows 7 for quite sometime - worked when I first plugged it in, never bothered about drivers until now. Upon having issues, I found that there is a vendor-supplied driver, which I...
Drivers
can my laptop run windows 7 (i need compatible drivers)
hello there, i really need to know if there are available drivers for hp compaq nx9110 that are compatible with windows 7? i've tried a couple of things to no avail.
Drivers
Are Vista drivers compatible with 7?
I have a Setup CD for Vista, and if i put it to compatibility mode it installs all the drivers. But how can i know if the Drivers are working correctly? And, my PC has low framerate in Flash Games ( When intense ), but that isn't normal is it? The flash player version is 10. Thanks, Alex.
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App