Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Move Windows 7 to another disk

02 Mar 2011   #11
liverpaul

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Try the Bootrec commands directly as per the MS guidance.
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
This has solved your problem for others. Don't forget the BCD rebuild.
Thanks for the reply. At the moment I don't think I can do that because when I click Repair my computer, Windows no longer appears on the list of installed operating systems (it used to). Maybe this can give you a better idea of what's wrong?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Mar 2011   #12
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello again.


Too bad, perhaps the partition manager you used FUBAR'd the partition for you, just use Partition Wizard from now on mate.

You're still liable to have issues with Windows creating the "System Reserved" partition to Disk 0 as long as it's still connected though you can't disconnect it because it's a lappy.

There may be a way around it though by doing a wipe to the Disk 1 (if you reinstall) and using the outline in Step Two #3 of the tutorial at the link below to create a SysResv partition and marking that Active after the clean all and before the install.

Have a good look through the information below.

information   Information

After you have copied out or made back-ups of the data you need to save to external media, use Step One of this tutorial at the first link below to do a wipe (secure erase) to the entire Hard Disk Drive / Solid State Drive.
  • Then if you do not want to create the new Windows 7 "System Reserved" partition use the outline in Step Two #2 to create, format and mark Active a single 100GB partition to do the installation to.
  • If you do want to create the "System Reserved" partition use the outline in Step Two #3 to create, format and mark Active the System Reserved partition and then create and format the 100GB partition to do the installation to.
With either method, running the "clean all" then creating and formatting the partition(s) using diskpart will get you the best possible space to do a clean install of Windows 7 to; you can always extend the Windows partition to include the remaining unallocated space on the HDD / SSD or create additional partitions after the installation completes if you choose.


SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

DISKPART : At PC Startup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #13
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by liverpaul View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Try the Bootrec commands directly as per the MS guidance.
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
This has solved your problem for others. Don't forget the BCD rebuild.
Thanks for the reply. At the moment I don't think I can do that because when I click Repair my computer, Windows no longer appears on the list of installed operating systems (it used to). Maybe this can give you a better idea of what's wrong?
Can you get into the command prompt from the system repair boot? If so you can do a bootrec.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Mar 2011   #14
liverpaul

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by liverpaul View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Try the Bootrec commands directly as per the MS guidance.
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
This has solved your problem for others. Don't forget the BCD rebuild.
Thanks for the reply. At the moment I don't think I can do that because when I click Repair my computer, Windows no longer appears on the list of installed operating systems (it used to). Maybe this can give you a better idea of what's wrong?
Can you get into the command prompt from the system repair boot? If so you can do a bootrec.
I should be able to do that. I'll post back here with how I get on. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #15
liverpaul

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello again.


Too bad, perhaps the partition manager you used FUBAR'd the partition for you, just use Partition Wizard from now on mate.

You're still liable to have issues with Windows creating the "System Reserved" partition to Disk 0 as long as it's still connected though you can't disconnect it because it's a lappy.

There may be a way around it though by doing a wipe to the Disk 1 (if you reinstall) and using the outline in Step Two #3 of the tutorial at the link below to create a SysResv partition and marking that Active after the clean all and before the install.

Have a good look through the information below.
I certainly will use Partition Wizard instead. I'm going to try as many potential solutions I can before giving up and doing a clean install. I may even stumble upon a solution, although that's not as likely as I first thought.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #16
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

I too hope you can find a solution, just keep us updated here in this same thread, we'll do all we can to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #17
gregrocker

 

What were the results for each step given here:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Unplug Disk0. or Wipe or mark System Reserved Inactive using free Partition Wizard bootable CD.

Now rightclick your System partition on Disk1, delete it and create a New Primary partition of 200mb, mark it Active.

Next boot the Win7 Repair CD or DVD Repair console to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times (not including the first offered repair), to write the System boot files to the System partition and the Repair console to your F8 Advanced Boot Tools menu.

If this fails to start Win7, from DIsk tab on booted PW CD, select Rebuild MBR.

If that fails, delete the System partiiton and mark Win7 partiiton itself Active, then run Startup Repair x3.

Report back and we will look at other options, including copying out your files using the Load Drivers mini-explorer on Install or Repair disks, and clean reinstalling.
All bootrec and bootsect commands are automated in Startup Repair, however if it cannot find an installation to repair you may have to run bootrec.exe /fixboot and bootrec.exe /fixmbr from the Repair Recovery Options Command Line to jump start the repair utility. Then complete attempting each step given and report back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #18
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

When you clone or image copy a disk with both disks connected you do need to deal with the disk signature clash. Windows 7 does not allow 2 connected disks to have the same disk signature. This is totally consistent with system repair retaining disk 0 (with it's original signature) as the location for the system reserved partition. Windows will have changed the disk signature of disk 1.
(The disk signature is in the MBR at the front of the disk.)

If you don't want to physically disconnect disk 0, then you could do a "Clean all" on this disk. This will wipe the MBR and the disk signature.
Then try the system repair again then the manual bootrec (inc. bootrec /rebuild bcd) if this doesn't work.

Also did you keep an image of the original disk 0. If so this can also be tried again after the clean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #19
gregrocker

 

This is why I suggested he recreate the SysReserved partitiion he copied if he wants to keep it on Disk1. Be sure to mark it Active before running the Repair, or if you want to delete it mark Win7 partition Active instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2011   #20
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I'm referring to the disk signature (4 bytes) which lives on the physical MBR (first 512 bytes). This is what Windows 7 (and Vista?) uses to avoid disk collisions and is recorded also in the registry.
A clean all (even partly run) is one of the few things to completely wipe the MBR and the old disk signature on disk 0.

Unplugging the disk 0 would have avoided this but that's history. If disk 0 is looking suspect then you'll need to do it sooner or later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Move Windows 7 to another disk




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
MOve files to beginning of disk ???
Hello, i want too shrink my 1TB hard Drive but can't because of files at the end of disk :( Does anyone know a degraggeror program that will do this??? Thanks, any help would be grateful :o
Performance & Maintenance
how to move data from disk D to disk E and from disk E to disk D
i want to do that.so give me the best way.please
General Discussion
How do I move a System Reserved partition to another disk
I'm trying to move a System Reserved partition from Disk 1 (failing) to Disk 2. I recently had to purchase a new hard drive after receiving a "S.M.A.R.T. bad backup and replace" message upon bootup. However, I've been unable to get rid of my failing hard drive (Disk 1) because of the System...
General Discussion
Move windows 7 installation from one disk partition to other disk part
Move windows 7 installation from one disk partition to other disk partition HI all , Before going into details of my problem, I am listing down my system setup. I have 3 HDDs on my pc with following details :- 1. Disk 0 - 500 GB - Windows 7 32-Bit Installation on C: - Partitions ( C -...
Installation & Setup
Move OS from one disk to another?
Hi :) Windows 7 continues to restore a system image to the same disk. Problem is that I don't want the OS to be installed onto that disk. What can I do to stop that from happening? I've got a 640gb disk on which the system image is backed up; a 1.5tb disk where the OS is continually...
Hardware & Devices
Move Pagefile to a non-OS disk ?
I have seen elsewhere the suggestion that moving the Pagefile to another disk can improve performance. Has anyone tried this? How do you do it? And what were the results? Secondly, if you have 8GB and Windows 7 64-bit how big, if any, a pageFile do you need?
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App