Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot Question- Vista to 7 32-bit

07 Mar 2011   #1
DntMssWthTx

Windows Vista 32bit
 
 
Dual Boot Question- Vista to 7 32-bit

Hello everyone,

I have read through the tutorial stickies and I might have an answer to my question but I'd like to make sure I've come to the correct conclusion before I break a computer.

Here is the situation (I'll try to cover all the details)-

My girlfriend has a laptop running Vista 32-bit. I want to add Win7 and dual-boot her laptop. I have the .ISO of an OEM copy of Win7 Ultimate.

I know that to dual-boot a system I'd have to create a partition (downloaded Partition Wizard as suggested by this sticky guide) to install Win7 to. The only issue I'm having is I don't know how an OEM install differs from other install versions/types. Would the OEM install delete everything in the hard drive?

I don't have many back-up solutions. I downloaded Macrium Reflect (sticky guide again) but am unsure of how well the free version will back-up documents and stuff since I have never used it before. I don't have any external storage media in a large enough size to be able to back up all her pics/music/docs etc.

I guess in short I want to know if I can dual-boot and install an OEM version of Win7 on a partition created by Partition Wizard.

Any help/comments are very much appreciated, thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Mar 2011   #2
gregrocker

 

Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map with listings (maximize window first) using Snipping Tool in Start Menu, and we can advise you on best way to shrink to make a target partition: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

Keep in mind OEM version locks the OS to the first mobo installed upon and cannot migrate, so I would not activate while you try it first for up to 30 days to make absolutely sure you want to keep it on that machine.

If you decide you want it, then you can wipe the HD and clean reinstall since there is nothing worth keeping about Vista if you have Win7. But I would make the Recovery Disks first so you have a path back to factory condition if you ever want to sell or give away the machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2011   #3
DntMssWthTx

Windows Vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map with listings (maximize window first) using Snipping Tool in Start Menu, and we can advise you on best way to shrink to make a target partition: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

Keep in mind OEM version locks the OS to the first mobo installed upon and cannot migrate, so I would not activate while you try it first for up to 30 days to make absolutely sure you want to keep it on that machine.

If you decide you want it, then you can wipe the HD and clean reinstall since there is nothing worth keeping about Vista if you have Win7. But I would make the Recovery Disks first so you have a path back to factory condition if you ever want to sell or give away the machine.
Hey Greg,

I'm at work at the moment so I can't take the screenshot right now. The laptop's hard drive is around 160GB.

It already "dual-boots" with Ubuntu but I can uninstall Ubuntu to free up space and clean up the Win7 installation a bit. What I mean by "dual-boots" is that I installed Ubuntu with an installer called Wubi that installs Ubuntu more like a program rather than another OS. When the installation is done Ubuntu can be booted into from the BIOS and it runs just like if I had installed it the "right way".

The guide that you linked to (which I viewed already) links to another site about how to create a partition from Vista without installing any other software so I'll do it that way instead, using the Shrink feature.

Another question, what do you mean when you say "OEM version locks the OS to the first mobo installed upon and cannot migrate"? Does it mean that when I activate it on my girlfriend's laptop I won't be able to install it in another computer?

Sorry about all the questions, but just 1 more!

How can I create Recovery Disks? Is it a utility that's already included in Vista? If I make a back-up using the Recovery Disks will all the documents etc. be saved onto the Recovery Disks? Let's say the Win7 install goes wrong and I need to restore her computer, would I be able to do it using the Recovery Disks or would I also need the Vista install CD? I'm pretty sure her PC already came with it installed.

I apologize if any of my above questions are redundant or needless, just trying to think about a possible solution in case the install doesn't work. If her documents were accidentally deleted in the process she would kill me!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Mar 2011   #4
Mark Phelps

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Not to upstage Greg ... but, comments on your first post ...

Have used MR (both free and paid) for years and have found it to be extremely reliable. Only one problem I've run across, and this is only with Win7 SP1, is that if you have the MR boot option installed (which only comes with the paid version), SP1 balks about doing the upgrade. Have seen this on two very different PCs.

Also, the Wubi option, while it CAN install to a separate partition, does not by default do so. If you want an install that is native to its own filesystem (which I strongly recommend), you should avoid Wubi. But then, you have to live with the no-more-than-4-primary-partitions limit in doing so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2011   #5
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello DntMssWthTx, welcome to Seven Forums!


Here's a better option that puts Windows 7 on the first partition on the Hard Disk Drive.


Clean Install Windows 7 : Ahead of Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2011   #6
gregrocker

 

Yes, OEM will lock to the mobo on activation and not be able to migrate to any other except that mobo.

There should be a listing in All Programs for your manufacturer's Recovery to make the Recovery Disks. If not google the make + make recovery disks to find out how, or go to the Support Downloads webpage for your computer model to read the Manual and check Win7 driver availability.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2011   #7
DntMssWthTx

Windows Vista 32bit
 
 

Thanks again everyone for all the replies.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Not to upstage Greg ... but, comments on your first post ...

Have used MR (both free and paid) for years and have found it to be extremely reliable. Only one problem I've run across, and this is only with Win7 SP1, is that if you have the MR boot option installed (which only comes with the paid version), SP1 balks about doing the upgrade. Have seen this on two very different PCs.

Also, the Wubi option, while it CAN install to a separate partition, does not by default do so. If you want an install that is native to its own filesystem (which I strongly recommend), you should avoid Wubi. But then, you have to live with the no-more-than-4-primary-partitions limit in doing so.
Thanks for the knowledge on MR. Yep, the Wubi installer is more for convenience than anything. I like Ubuntu a lot but I usually just use it when something in Windows is broken or I'm in the mood to keep tweaking Ubuntu to my liking.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello DntMssWthTx, welcome to Seven Forums!


Here's a better option that puts Windows 7 on the first partition on the Hard Disk Drive.


Clean Install Windows 7 : Ahead of Vista
Thanks for the link I hadn't seen it before. I read through the article and I understood everything pretty well already. I burned a Partition Wizard Boot CD so I should be able to get started on upgrading her laptop today but I want to wait till this weekend when I'll have more time to do it all at once.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Yes, OEM will lock to the mobo on activation and not be able to migrate to any other except that mobo.

There should be a listing in All Programs for your manufacturer's Recovery to make the Recovery Disks. If not google the make + make recovery disks to find out how, or go to the Support Downloads webpage for your computer model to read the Manual and check Win7 driver availability.
Gotcha. I'll look around in the installed programs and burn the recovery disks using either that utility or Macrium Reflect. Any kind of recording media in specific? I have a 100-pack of regular 700MB CD-Rs laying around, will those do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2011   #8
gregrocker

 

DVD's are best since it will be a large image.

If you go with imaging you can use an external or another HD.

Depends on how badly you want to save the factory image. Many tech enthusiasts jettison the factory bloatware and utilities to clean reinstall with a Win7 installer for their version, which finished image they then use as a backup image supplanting the need for Recovery Partition or the disks. But best to make them anyway just in case.

Here are tips for getting a purrfect clean reinstall of factory OEM if/when you're interested: re-install windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual Boot Question- Vista to 7 32-bit




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Removing Vista from Dual Boot but retaining progs on Vista partition
With the help of this forum and the Partition Wizard I have successfully installed Windows 7 64 bit on a separate partition (H) on my hard drive and I now have a dual boot system. The other partition (C:OS) runs Vista 32 bit OS. The problem I have is that all my programs, files and settings are...
Installation & Setup
Running dual Boot w/ Vista and Win 7, question on running programs
Greetings, New to the forum! I recently installed Win 7 on a second Hard drive. Is it possible to run the programs I had installed on the Vista Hard drive? Both are HD's are still installed. Thanks, Brad
General Discussion
Remove Vista from Vista / Win7 Dual Boot - Separate Drives
I have two drives (C and D) with Vista on one and Win 7 on the other (not sure if they're actual drives or partitions of a single drive, how do I tell?). I am dual booting and never use Vista. Starting to need the disk space and want to delete Vista. Is this difficult in this scenario?
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot question W7 and Vista
I went out and got a new hard drive and installed 7 on it.. up and running good. When I isntalled the drive, I disconnected my sas raid array drives which have my Vista OS on it. I want to bring those back online but don't want conflicts or trouble. I want to keep the vista install for now till...
Installation & Setup
Vista / Win 7 RC Dual Boot Upgrade Question
I have installed Win 7 RC in a dual boot with my existing Vista installation. I now want to replace my Vista with RTM. Any advice?
Installation & Setup
Vista/7 dual boot question
I can't find anything about this after reading the first five pages in this sub-forum so here goes: I have a 1TB HD, with four partitions: C:50GB; Vista and 'Core' apps (Antivirus, Messenger), W:50GB; Windows 7, D:250GB Software (Games mainly) and a E:550GB Storage. As you may guess, the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:18.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App