Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Want clean install on new HDD

14 Apr 2011   #11
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Yes. 3 GB will do a pretty good job. Even 2 GB in most cases.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Apr 2011   #12
Miskonduct

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

In terms of once I have the fresh install of Windows 7, what is the best way to update all my drivers and anything else you guys can think of that will need to be done on a clean install on a new hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #13
rob3

windows 7 6.1 build 7068x64
 
 

Install windows with your product key and let finish the do windows update.
It will search for the newest drivers for your setup..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Apr 2011   #14
Miskonduct

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rob3 View Post
Install windows with your product key and let finish the do windows update.
It will search for the newest drivers for your setup..
Sounds easy enough. Anything else needed to know after a clean install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #15
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Get anti-virus going. Set System Restore to utilize as much space as you want. Stay on top of Windows updates. Get some type of backup policy going.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #16
rob3

windows 7 6.1 build 7068x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Miskonduct View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rob3 View Post
Install windows with your product key and let finish the do windows update.
It will search for the newest drivers for your setup..
Sounds easy enough. Anything else needed to know after a clean install?
Not much.For normal user.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #17
Miskonduct

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Get anti-virus going. Set System Restore to utilize as much space as you want. Stay on top of Windows updates. Get some type of backup policy going.
Got it.

How would you suggest to set System Restore to utilize space?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #18
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Miskonduct View Post

How would you suggest to set System Restore to utilize space?
The default amount is quite high and it can eat into your occupied space, so you may want to restrain it. There is a slider in the configuration. You can figure maybe allot 1 GB for each restore point. Something like that. I use about 7 GB, which gives me a couple of weeks worth of restore points.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #19
Miskonduct

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Miskonduct View Post

How would you suggest to set System Restore to utilize space?
The default amount is quite high and it can eat into your occupied space, so you may want to restrain it. There is a slider in the configuration. You can figure maybe allot 1 GB for each restore point. Something like that. I use about 7 GB, which gives me a couple of weeks worth of restore points.
I'm looking and can't seem to find where I can adjust the system restore points. I got to control panel>Backup and Restore. Not seeing where I can adjust the allotment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #20
gregrocker

 

System Protection - Change Disk Space Usage

I set mine to 15-20% so Restore Points stick around a lot longer. We regularly save systems here using older restore points.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Want clean install on new HDD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New clean install isn't seeing/install ipad drivers when I plug it in
I have a new, clean install of win7 and I'm trying to sync my ipad 2 with itunes but when I plug the ipad into the usb port I don't get that beep/sound acknowledgement that a device has been plugged in and installing it's drivers so itunes can recognize it?
Drivers
Clean install error Windows cannot install required files.
This is what is happening. A friend gave me his DELL Inspririon 531 2007 Desktop. It has a pirated copy of 7 ultimate x64 (which I am not sure if this supports 64 bit). Prior to looking into how old the machine was, I was able to install 8.1 64 bit. But it wouldn't allow me to install any drivers...
Installation & Setup
How can I do a clean erase of my SSD to clean install Windows 7?
I think I have a virus or malware and have been unable to get rid of it after many tries, and I am having multiple problems with this home built computer running Windows 7Pro 64bit. I installed a retail version of Windows 7Pro 64bit and I have my original installation disk. I want to do a clean...
Installation & Setup
Clean Install of Win7 - Wipe Hard Drive Clean
Hi Folks, I just did a clean install of Win7 and must have done something wrong. I found a file called Windows.old.:confused: I would like to wipe my hard drive completely clean and then install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. How do I accomplish this task? It's a good time to...
Installation & Setup
Boot config not working, tried clean install, can't install windows 7
My spouses pc all of a sudden wouldn't boot, not into safe mode or anything (vista), and so we were going to upgrade anyways to windows 7, so i bought the upgrade windows 7 and attempted to do a clean install and reformatted the c: drive which has 250gb, and each time i start the install it bogs...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App