HOW TO: Install Windows 7 from a USB stick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition (Build 7600)
       #11

    That utility rocks!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12
    Nothing D:
       #12

    Hey, your tutorial is very helpful, but I was wondering, how can I convert it back to a flash drive?

    It turns out it would work that way on my computer
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,736
    ...
       #13

    BigFanWin7 said:
    Hey, your tutorial is very helpful, but I was wondering, how can I convert it back to a flash drive?

    It turns out it would work that way on my computer
    Use Windows to reformat the flash drive to restore it to its original state.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 12
    Nothing D:
       #14

    My windows just sees it as a flash hard drive. I guess I should be putting this in a different forum.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,736
    ...
       #15

    BigFanWin7 said:
    My windows just sees it as a flash hard drive. I guess I should be putting this in a different forum.
    Right click on the flash drive icon and see if there is a menu entry to format. If not, right click on the "Computer" icon, select "Manage", and then "Disk Management". You can format hard drives from here.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 204
    Windows 7 7264
       #16

    DO any of these methods allow Multiple Operating Systems to be selected for install or booted?

    Im looking to makje a USB that has the following

    1. Windows 7 x64 install
    2. Windows 7 32Bit Install
    3. Windows XP Install
    4. Hirens Boot CD 9.9

    All bootable and installable or runable from the USB (Runable meaning starts an install) not run the OS from the USB of course.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 26
    WinXP
       #17

    I have been trying the Win7 install method using a USB Flash Drive:

    I was trying to 'list disk' with my HP Flash Drive, and it will not show up... apparently List Disk only shows USB flash drives in Windows Vista and not in WinXP!

    I wish someone would have pointed this out without me searching it out after 2 hours of hitting a dead end.. maybe no one knew?

    I installed Win7 RC3 with no problem a couple months back and had it on a spare drive on my computer, then I was trying to re-install it after I wiped that drive, so far all I hit are road blaocks dead ends and error messages trying to install it again..
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 212
    Win7 64 bits FR
       #18

    Hello,

    I created a 8 GB SDHC card with Win7 setup and I tested it on my own computer, but it can't find the boot on the SD card. It's strange because it does work on a MSI wind, I installed Win7 on it yesterday with the same card.

    My computer is able to boot on a flash disk, I use a 16MB SD card to boot into DOS.

    Does anybody here have an idea of why my computer would not boot with win7 on the SD card?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,736
    ...
       #19

    kensiko said:
    Hello,

    I created a 8 GB SDHC card with Win7 setup and I tested it on my own computer, but it can't find the boot on the SD card. It's strange because it does work on a MSI wind, I installed Win7 on it yesterday with the same card.

    My computer is able to boot on a flash disk, I use a 16MB SD card to boot into DOS.

    Does anybody here have an idea of why my computer would not boot with win7 on the SD card?
    kensiko;

    My ASRock MB uses "F12" to bring up a boot menu. You should look to see if you have something like that, and to see if your SD card appears on the list. Also, you can go to the "Boot" section of the bios and look for the SD card there. You might need a bios upgrade. Or your MB might not support SD cards?

    Cheers!

    Robert
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 212
    Win7 64 bits FR
       #20

    iseeuu said:
    kensiko;

    My ASRock MB uses "F12" to bring up a boot menu. You should look to see if you have something like that, and to see if your SD card appears on the list. Also, you can go to the "Boot" section of the bios and look for the SD card there. You might need a bios upgrade. Or your MB might not support SD cards?

    Cheers!

    Robert
    Thanks Robert for your help, but you didn't notice that I said I often boot on a 16MB SD card. So, yes I know how to boot from a USB stick.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45.
Find Us