Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).

16 Jun 2011   #11
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Leave your BIOS as default, if you can.(check MOBO manual)
OS should be installed to Disk0.
When installing Windows, only have Disk0 plug in.

Take a look at those Tutorial:
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7
Default? not even change the SSD thingy to AHCI? Or the 'First Boot Device' to CD ROM?

Also, is 'Disk0' whatever is connected to SATA3 port 0? or does this not even have anything to do with what's connected to what SATA port etc.?

And disconnect my HDD so only the SSD is installed right?

Thanks for the reply


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jun 2011   #12
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

1) Leave your BIOS as default, if you can.(check MOBO manual)

2)Your first CD/dvd drive, will be CD-rom 0.
Your first Hd, will be Disk 0. Connected to the first Sata port.

3) Yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #13
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

The command will disable the hibernation files.
Yes WEI is windows experience Index. It is my understanding that running wei is what makes windows turn off defrag and other features needed by the SSD. You can type wei into the search box and click on check the windows experience index, then run it.
Alignment is necessary for the ssd to perform properly. Windows will align the SSD during installation. I am not a trusting soul, so I want to see. You can align it yourself before installation if you want. Here is a good tutorial on doing that, just do not run the 'clean all' command. Be sure to disconnect all other hard drives before you install windows, after the installation and you are booting properly, turn off the computer and connect the other hard drives.

If you need any further help just post back here. someone is always around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2011   #14
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
1) Leave your BIOS as default, if you can.(check MOBO manual)

2)Your first CD/dvd drive, will be CD-rom 0.
Your first Hd, will be Disk 0. Connected to the first Sata port.

3) Yes.
I can't seem to find anything in the manual about it.

I had to set the CD Drive to be the 'first boot device' myself. That's done now.

And my SSD is connected to my first sata port, the HDD is unplugged. Almost ready to go. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #15
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
The command will disable the hibernation files.
Yes WEI is windows experience Index. It is my understanding that running wei is what makes windows turn off defrag and other features needed by the SSD. You can type wei into the search box and click on check the windows experience index, then run it.
Alignment is necessary for the ssd to perform properly. Windows will align the SSD during installation. I am not a trusting soul, so I want to see. You can align it yourself before installation if you want. Here is a good tutorial on doing that, just do not run the 'clean all' command. Be sure to disconnect all other hard drives before you install windows, after the installation and you are booting properly, turn off the computer and connect the other hard drives.

If you need any further help just post back here. someone is always around.
Is there usually many problems with Windows doing the aligning itself? I looked at the tutorial, and while it seems easy enough to follow (even for someone like me), but if Windows usually does this right itself, that I think would be easier for me.

Also, if what this is doing is creating a partition on the SSD to install Windows on, if I do it manually, how much space do I need to make? (60GB SSD). And looking at one of the paragraphs from the tutorial here:

"Still in the same command window, to create a partition of the entire HDD / SSD, it is suggested if you are using one of the larger, 1 - 2TB HDDs that you use the outline in #2 below to create a single 100GB partition to do the installation to or #3 below if you would like to include the new Windows 7 System Reserved partition, as we're now seeing serious issues with some trying to install to such large partitions.

As the SSD is only 60GB, and not 100/200GB, should Ii still include '#3'?

Thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #16
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

There are usually no problems with windows doing it. I would use the whole drive and not partition other than the 100MB which windows will automatically create if you let windows do it. That tutorial is for SSD and regular HDDs. Don't worry about the part about 2TB drives. The 100MB is your choice, it has some advantages. Some people want it and some don't, that's why the tutorial was written that way- to give you a choice.

You can just let windows do it during the install if you want. It may be easier for you that way. Windows will align it properly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #17
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anesthetize View Post
I forgot to mention, I've looked at 'how to' guides, and all the abbreviations and stuff also confuse me. I learn quick, but I need clear explanations.

Already I'm lost reading some of that. I see abbreviations like 'MBR' and terms like 'multi-boot' and I'm clueless.

I just need someone to answer my questions That would help me a lot!
Without wishing to patronise you in any way, this link may help you to understand some of the acronyms we glibly scatter throughout our posts:

alphaDictionary * Free Computing Dictionary - Free Computing Glossary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #18
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
There are usually no problems with windows doing it. I would use the whole drive and not partition other than the 100MB which windows will automatically create if you let windows do it. That tutorial is for SSD and regular HDDs. Don't worry about the part about 2TB drives. The 100MB is your choice, it has some advantages. Some people want it and some don't, that's why the tutorial was written that way- to give you a choice.

You can just let windows do it during the install if you want. It may be easier for you that way. Windows will align it properly.
Got it!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anesthetize View Post
I forgot to mention, I've looked at 'how to' guides, and all the abbreviations and stuff also confuse me. I learn quick, but I need clear explanations.

Already I'm lost reading some of that. I see abbreviations like 'MBR' and terms like 'multi-boot' and I'm clueless.

I just need someone to answer my questions That would help me a lot!
Without wishing to patronise you in any way, this link may help you to understand some of the acronyms we glibly scatter throughout our posts:

alphaDictionary * Free Computing Dictionary - Free Computing Glossary
That may actually help. Cheers.

-----------

Okay, so I'm all installed. Thanks for the help. But one more thing right now. Would it be better to install the anti-virus/internet security I'm intending on using onto the SSD, or the HDD? Does Windows continue to take space on the SSD with updates etc?

Thanks again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #19
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Yes, Install it to the SSD. And yes it will, but shouldn't cause problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #20
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Yes, Install it to the SSD. And yes it will, but shouldn't cause problems.
One more thing. I plugged the HDD back in after, and it's not recognizing it's connected. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, the system rating rated the GPU at 1.0. Am I right in assuming this is because I havn't installed any graphics drivers yet?

Thanks again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Pro "Dirty Install" instructions needed.
Windows 7 Pro "Dirty Install" instructions needed. Is there a link here or elsewhere for a Windows 7 Professional "dirty install?" Reason for asking: Both of my OS image files are corrupt; Since I cannot do a full-image restore with either image -- an error eventually crops up & everything comes...
Backup and Restore
How a Firewall works (simplified version).
How a Firewall works (simplified version) Welcome to my second guide in Seven Forums. Before we begin... In computer networking, we all know the term "Firewall". Before we get into "what is firewall" question, I'd like to explain about frames and packets. If you read my previous guide...
Security Basics
Windows 8 marketing simplified with just 3 versions
It would appear that Microsoft are reducing the number of Windows 8 RTM versions to no more than three. BBC News - Three 'flavours' for Microsoft's Windows 8 OS
News
Display IE-9 in Chinese Simplified for one user
I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64 on this laptop. There are two user accounts; mine and that of my wife, who is Chinese. I want to keep my user account set up for English and her user account set up for Chinese Simplified. I have already installed the CS language pack and the CS language pack for...
Browsers & Mail
Media Player in Win7 is a simplified version?
I just realized that the Media Player in Win7 doesn't have those great features found in Player 11 in WinXP, e.g. sound effect and equaliser. How to get those features back?
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App