Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).

16 Jun 2011   #41
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Congratulations, you did a fine job. Now that you are nearly done, I like to answer 2 questions you had earlier (I just now saw the whole thread)

1. to get rid of your hibernation file, open an elevated Command Prompt (run as admin) and type or paste this command:

powercfg -h off

Then hit Enter. That will save you as much space on your SSD as the size of your RAM. If you ever want to get the hibernation file back, the command is powercfg -h on.

2. The user data you should keep on the HDD and not the SSD. But rather than moving the standard user folders (Documents, Music, Videos, etc.), I suggest you define a partition on your HDD and define new user folders (Documents, Music, etc.). And then you move your own data into there. Then you right click on each of those folders and click on "Include in Library" and select the library where they belong.

The advantage of this approach is that those folders will really only contain your own files and the standard user folders which stay on the SSD will be used by various programs for program files that are required to run those programs. So there is no mix up. The said program files are not very big and can be easily accomodated by your SSD.

3. There are a lot of "experts" who recommend all kinds of tweaks for the SSD. I recommend to stay away from those tweaks. If any, they are usually of very little advantage and sometimes they are even counterproductive (e.g. disabling Superfetch). It is also not true that your SSD will suffer from many write operations. This SSD will survive your system any time - so do not worry. I have 5 SSDs on 5 different systems and my oldest is 3 years old. In that time it has not suffered at all.

PS: Steve (essenbe) is a good man. He sure gave you good guidance. You were lucky to have found him.
Ahh yes, hibernation. Man it's getting late here, and this has been a stressful day with this computer. I'll go through this in detail tomorrow and sort this out! Thanks for the help buddy


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jun 2011   #42
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

I'm glad I was able to help a little, and I'm glad to see you are already playing games. Must mean you are fairly well set up. And thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #43
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

WHS, Thanks for the vote of confidence.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jun 2011   #44
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
WHS, Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Steve, you desserve it. Have to give you virtual reps because I have to first turn around another 15.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #45
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Congratulations, you did a fine job. Now that you are nearly done, I like to answer 2 questions you had earlier (I just now saw the whole thread)

1. to get rid of your hibernation file, open an elevated Command Prompt (run as admin) and type or paste this command:

powercfg -h off

Then hit Enter. That will save you as much space on your SSD as the size of your RAM. If you ever want to get the hibernation file back, the command is powercfg -h on.

2. The user data you should keep on the HDD and not the SSD. But rather than moving the standard user folders (Documents, Music, Videos, etc.), I suggest you define a partition on your HDD and define new user folders (Documents, Music, etc.). And then you move your own data into there. Then you right click on each of those folders and click on "Include in Library" and select the library where they belong.

The advantage of this approach is that those folders will really only contain your own files and the standard user folders which stay on the SSD will be used by various programs for program files that are required to run those programs. So there is no mix up. The said program files are not very big and can be easily accomodated by your SSD.

3. There are a lot of "experts" who recommend all kinds of tweaks for the SSD. I recommend to stay away from those tweaks. If any, they are usually of very little advantage and sometimes they are even counterproductive (e.g. disabling Superfetch). It is also not true that your SSD will suffer from many write operations. This SSD will survive your system any time - so do not worry. I have 5 SSDs on 5 different systems and my oldest is 3 years old. In that time it has not suffered at all.

PS: Steve (essenbe) is a good man. He sure gave you good guidance. You were lucky to have found him.
Okay, sorry to quote to again. But I'm ready to give all this a go now. I turned hibernation off (though I didn't see anything happen, don't know if I should have?)

Now onto creating a partition on the HDD and giving it folders. How's the best way to go about doing this? and when I'm there, how big of a parition do you recommend I create?

One step at a time, so I won't ask anymore questions yet!

(And yes, essenbe/Steve was a big help - thanks again Steve! )

EDIT: Also, I don't know if I can yet, or at all, but if I can somehow give you good 'rep,' (both of you) point me in the right direction to do so
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #46
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

1. There are 2 easy ways to check whether the hiberfile is gone:
a) press start and then the little arrow on the bottom right. For the rest see the picture1 below.
b) run this program - it will show you everything that is on your SSD (you have to highlight the SSD before you OK it). The hiberfile would be a big colored blip on the colored part (if you click on it it tells you what it is). The other big blip would be your pagefile which you should not touch.

2. For the folders create a partition on the HDD (use Disk Management). Then open that partition and create the folders you need (see picture2). The size will depend on the amount of data you plan to store there. I would think that 100GB is a good start. But if you have a lot of HD movies, that may not suffice.

3. Don't worry about the reps. A "thank you" makes me happy.


Attached Images
In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).-2011-06-15_2030.png In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).-2011-06-17_1330.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #47
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
1. There are 2 easy ways to check whether the hiberfile is gone:
a) press start and then the little arrow on the bottom right. For the rest see the picture1 below.
b) run this program - it will show you everything that is on your SSD (you have to highlight the SSD before you OK it). The hiberfile would be a big colored blip on the colored part (if you click on it it tells you what it is). The other big blip would be your pagefile which you should not touch.

2. For the folders create a partition on the HDD (use Disk Management). Then open that partition and create the folders you need (see picture2). The size will depend on the amount of data you plan to store there. I would think that 100GB is a good start. But if you have a lot of HD movies, that may not suffice.

3. Don't worry about the reps. A "thank you" makes me happy.
Okay, Hibernate is gone, so that's done.

As for creating folders, I knew how to do that, but how do I create the actual partition? And this is primarily a gaming PC, so the only thing I'm going to be installing is games. I probably won't bother with movies or music. That said, how much space do you recommend? and can the partitions be changed at a later date to be made bigger or smaller?

Thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #48
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

I don't know how much space to tell you, as I do it different than WHS. But, he is an expert. But to create a partition, go to disk management, right click on the C drive and select shrink. It will determine the maximum you can shrink it. In the box you select how much you want to shrink it (has to be equal to or less than the max.). Or put another way to look at it, the size you want the new partition to be. Put in the size in as MB (1024MB=1GB). then click ok all the way through. When finished the extra space will be unallocated. In the new unallocated space, right click and Select new simple partition, and create a primary partition, assign it a drive letter (DM will do that for you. When finished, you will have your new partition. During the process you will have the opportunity to give it a name. I always give it a descriptive name so that when you add other hard drives and partitions and look at it in windows explorer you know which is which. In explorer partitions will show up as seperate disks. So it is possible to have 3 disks and 7 partitions, which can be confusing in explorer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #49
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I don't know how much space to tell you, as I do it different than WHS. But, he is an expert. But to create a partition, go to disk management, right click on the C drive and select shrink. It will determine the maximum you can shrink it. In the box you select how much you want to shrink it (has to be equal to or less than the max.). Or put another way to look at it, the size you want the new partition to be. Put in the size in as MB (1024MB=1GB). then click ok all the way through. When finished the extra space will be unallocated. In the new unallocated space, right click and Select new simple partition, and create a primary partition, assign it a drive letter (DM will do that for you. When finished, you will have your new partition.
Can I ask, what's the partition for? Would there be issues if I were to just leave the whole space open without partitions?

Thanks for the reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #50
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

The partition is for user folders as WHS desctibed how to do it. I do it this way. The whole idea is, if anything goes wrong, it is most likeky to be the OS partition causing you to reinstall. If all of your data is on another partition somewhere else, you don't lose your data in the process. Tou can reinstall the OS and programs ( although it is a pita) easily. But you can't replace many documents, family pictures music and such. If they were on the C partition you would. I learned the hard way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How a Firewall works (simplified version).
How a Firewall works (simplified version) Welcome to my second guide in Seven Forums. Before we begin... In computer networking, we all know the term "Firewall". Before we get into "what is firewall" question, I'd like to explain about frames and packets. If you read my previous guide...
Security Basics
Infinite Loop during install, but not like others I have read
Howdy, I tried to search through the forums before posting. I've seen similar situations, but not the same as mine. Fortunately, I don't need anything on the HDD, so would be fine with wiping the HDD completely if I could only figure out how. Here's the situation. I had upgraded from W7...
Installation & Setup
Windows 8 marketing simplified with just 3 versions
It would appear that Microsoft are reducing the number of Windows 8 RTM versions to no more than three. BBC News - Three 'flavours' for Microsoft's Windows 8 OS
News
Display IE-9 in Chinese Simplified for one user
I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64 on this laptop. There are two user accounts; mine and that of my wife, who is Chinese. I want to keep my user account set up for English and her user account set up for Chinese Simplified. I have already installed the CS language pack and the CS language pack for...
Browsers & Mail
Media Player in Win7 is a simplified version?
I just realized that the Media Player in Win7 doesn't have those great features found in Player 11 in WinXP, e.g. sound effect and equaliser. How to get those features back?
Sound & Audio
Breakdown of Install Issue - Can't read Install CD
Hello, Here's the breakdown: HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium 32 bit Install Windows 7 Home Premium Had to remove HP Quick Launch - no issues During verification the system kept asking me to remove kaspersky anti-virus - I do not have this on my computer - never had. Just to be sure I...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App