Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).

17 Jun 2011   #71
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
WHS, just a curiosity question. In your Vista drive, the MBR files are not in the recovery partition? On my Dell the boot files are in the recovery partition.
In principle, the bootmgr does belong into C or as in Win7 into a seperate active 100MB partition. But I have seen some installations where it ended up in the recovery partition - but that is not the normal case.

Ted, LOL - I am so busy that I never got to it. But it never bothered me. This Dell box was a pain when it came to the HDDs. For one, they bolted the HDDs directly to the chassis - no trays. And then they fixed the wires so hard that you could not get them off. Plus it is a real pain to get to the mobo and change the ports. That was my first and last Dell.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jun 2011   #72
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

My Dell looked like his vista disk except the recovery partition was labled D and was the active partition. I used your tutorial, wiped the disk clean and did a clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #73
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post


Ted, LOL - I am so busy that I never got to it. But it never bothered me. This Dell box was a pain when it came to the HDDs. For one, they bolted the HDDs directly to the chassis - no trays. And then they fixed the wires so hard that you could not get them off. Plus it is a real pain to get to the mobo and change the ports. That was my first and last Dell.
As it's already Disk 0 all that would need done is to expand the OEM partition to at least 200MB using the Partition Wizard boot disk and mark it Active and do at least 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the "System" boot files to that location and mark the other(s) as Inactive and that would sort it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jun 2011   #74
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Be sure to let me know how it goes. It is not as complicated as it seems. You don't have to secure erase there are other options.
and if it asks about enhanced secure erase select no.
I was gonna get on and do it tomorrow, cause I've had about all I can handle computer-wise today. But, now the HDD has been formatted, the SSD obviously has parts missing like the users folders, and according to this computer, even a desktop. Is there any way I can restore those things instead of a clean install? or even just reinstall windows over the windows installed now to restore lost files?

If not, I'll get on and sort this SSD out tomorrow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #75
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #76
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post


Ted, LOL - I am so busy that I never got to it. But it never bothered me. This Dell box was a pain when it came to the HDDs. For one, they bolted the HDDs directly to the chassis - no trays. And then they fixed the wires so hard that you could not get them off. Plus it is a real pain to get to the mobo and change the ports. That was my first and last Dell.
As it's already Disk 0 all that would need done is to expand the OEM partition to at least 200MB using the Partition Wizard boot disk and mark it Active and do at least 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the "System" boot files to that location and mark the other(s) as Inactive and that would sort it.
Yeah, that would be one way. But I would rather move it to the Win7 C partition on the SSD. Disk0 is just another HDD and that OEM partition is some Dell tools partition. One day when I have nothing else to do (and I find my installation disk) I will get to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #77
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post


Ted, LOL - I am so busy that I never got to it. But it never bothered me. This Dell box was a pain when it came to the HDDs. For one, they bolted the HDDs directly to the chassis - no trays. And then they fixed the wires so hard that you could not get them off. Plus it is a real pain to get to the mobo and change the ports. That was my first and last Dell.
As it's already Disk 0 all that would need done is to expand the OEM partition to at least 200MB using the Partition Wizard boot disk and mark it Active and do at least 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the "System" boot files to that location and mark the other(s) as Inactive and that would sort it.
Yeah, that would be one way. But I would rather move it to the Win7 C partition on the SSD. Disk0 is just another HDD and that OEM partition is some Dell tools partition. One day when I have nothing else to do (and I find my installation disk) I will get to it.
Hello Wolfgang, if it ain't broke don't fix it eh!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #78
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

You can use Ted's tutorial to reinstall. However, your SSD is new and I would not use the 'Clean All' command, just use clean and follow the rest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #79
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
theog, that's pretty funny. But, I have threatned to do that with my Dell on occasion. The way they build computers should be illegal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #80
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Bret, I just did my usb drive to serve as an example. The only difference is you will only have 1 disk and it should be disk 0. You put disk 0 where I put disk 4.
In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).-format-sssd-1.png

Push enter, exit enter exit enter and you will be back at the language screen. then install as usual.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How a Firewall works (simplified version).
How a Firewall works (simplified version) Welcome to my second guide in Seven Forums. Before we begin... In computer networking, we all know the term "Firewall". Before we get into "what is firewall" question, I'd like to explain about frames and packets. If you read my previous guide...
Security Basics
Infinite Loop during install, but not like others I have read
Howdy, I tried to search through the forums before posting. I've seen similar situations, but not the same as mine. Fortunately, I don't need anything on the HDD, so would be fine with wiping the HDD completely if I could only figure out how. Here's the situation. I had upgraded from W7...
Installation & Setup
Windows 8 marketing simplified with just 3 versions
It would appear that Microsoft are reducing the number of Windows 8 RTM versions to no more than three. BBC News - Three 'flavours' for Microsoft's Windows 8 OS
News
Display IE-9 in Chinese Simplified for one user
I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64 on this laptop. There are two user accounts; mine and that of my wife, who is Chinese. I want to keep my user account set up for English and her user account set up for Chinese Simplified. I have already installed the CS language pack and the CS language pack for...
Browsers & Mail
Media Player in Win7 is a simplified version?
I just realized that the Media Player in Win7 doesn't have those great features found in Player 11 in WinXP, e.g. sound effect and equaliser. How to get those features back?
Sound & Audio
Breakdown of Install Issue - Can't read Install CD
Hello, Here's the breakdown: HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium 32 bit Install Windows 7 Home Premium Had to remove HP Quick Launch - no issues During verification the system kept asking me to remove kaspersky anti-virus - I do not have this on my computer - never had. Just to be sure I...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App