Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro

22 Jun 2011   #41
Prospector

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 
Activated

Thank you theog, I was able to correct the problem with the "Over the phone" option where it is necessary to fill in a bunch of boxes, and what a relief!

Contrary to popular beliefs, I do not like being wrong, but the NTLDR/DVD issue was just rearranged when I changed the plugs. I followed the method that was suggested to de-activate XP but when I re-booted the Win 7 DVD to do the " 3 times" repair process, there were no longer the necessary files available to re-start the new drive, or anything else, and finish. You see, without the "Very Necessary" NTLDR, NOTHING is available to load or start. I am without the necessary XP OS components, to use this machine.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jun 2011   #42
gregrocker

 

Are you referring to the XP installation on the old HD? Or have you reinstalled XP on the new HD where you wanted it yet? I have given you steps to add Win7 to XP boot once you've installed it on the new HD if that is still your goal, which would solve the problem.

Again the NTLDR error you're getting pertains to XP and has nothing to do with writing the System Boot files to Win7 partition with XP HD unplugged so that WIn7 can start on its own. Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Please unplug the XP HD and leaving everything else plugged as it is. Then boot the DVD to mark Win7 Active and run 3 separate Startup Repairs. Partition - Mark as Active

If there is an error describe what causes it and its exact wording.

The non-genuine error simply requires inserting the Product Key again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #43
Prospector

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 

Thanks Greg but I ran my product key 3 times and it kept rejecting it, even online so the phone option was my last available, and most comprehensive way of confirming the authenticity.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jun 2011   #44
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Now you have Windows 7 work OK. Put the OLD XP HD under the bed.
Do wont a dual boot with Windows 7 & Win XP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #45
gregrocker

 

I don't think he's gotten Win7 to boot on it's own without the XP HD attached yet.

Prospector, have you tried unplugging the XP HD and leaving the SATA and DVD drives plugged just as they are?

What exactly happens then when you try to boot the WIn7 DVD to run the necessary repairs? Are you given the prompt to "Press Any Key to boot DVD?"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #46
Prospector

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 

I
Have an idea and needsome help to make my flash drive "bootable". I had tried the USB option in the "Boot Order" list hoping to get my USB Maxtor to somehow provide what i need but it did not work. I just plugged my flash drive in and pressed F12 and the Mem86 tester started since it was setup to auto start. I put my Win 7 Recovery Disk on to the flash drive and now after removing the mem86 to keep it from auto starting, I need to make the recovery disk which is now on my flash drive, "auto start", which may allow a recovery since none of the other devices can boot and provide a recovery. I remembered making floppy drives auto start when it is formatted but that option is not available when re-formating the flash drive. How do I autostart my recovery disk on my flash drive which will auto-start from the F12 since usb is now in the #1 position of the boot order?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #47
Prospector

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 
I missed the first part

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Are you referring to the XP installation on the old HD? Or have you reinstalled XP on the new HD where you wanted it yet? I have given you steps to add Win7 to XP boot once you've installed it on the new HD if that is still your goal, which would solve the problem.

Again the NTLDR error you're getting pertains to XP and has nothing to do with writing the System Boot files to Win7 partition with XP HD unplugged so that WIn7 can start on its own. Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Please unplug the XP HD and leaving everything else plugged as it is. Then boot the DVD to mark Win7 Active and run 3 separate Startup Repairs. Partition - Mark as Active

If there is an error describe what causes it and its exact wording.

The non-genuine error simply requires inserting the Product Key again.
Greg, the system was loading from the XP install and when it was marked as inactive as you said to do if I could not unplug it, then I needed to mark it as inactive. Marking it as inactive removed all possibility of using the DVD, SATA, or any thing else to run the Win 7 install disk or the Win 7 recovery disk that I made after the install. I have plugged and unplugged and changed positions on the motherboard and nothing works! All I get is the "NTLDR missing" error message. The drives will not boot on their own without it! I kept telling you that this issue had to be resolved before I could eliminate the old drive for the " 3 Times" repair", and I mistakenly thought that by switching the two SATA plugs on the motherboard, it had done it! Now if you read my last post from theog's thread you will see my next attempt, if I can auto-start my flash drive that I put the recovery CD on to. Do you know how to auto-start my recovery disk that is now on the flash drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #48
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
I
Have an idea and needsome help to make my flash drive "bootable". I had tried the USB option in the "Boot Order" list hoping to get my USB Maxtor to somehow provide what i need but it did not work. I just plugged my flash drive in and pressed F12 and the Mem86 tester started since it was setup to auto start. I put my Win 7 Recovery Disk on to the flash drive and now after removing the mem86 to keep it from auto starting, I need to make the recovery disk which is now on my flash drive, "auto start", which may allow a recovery since none of the other devices can boot and provide a recovery. I remembered making floppy drives auto start when it is formatted but that option is not available when re-formating the flash drive. How do I autostart my recovery disk on my flash drive which will auto-start from the F12 since usb is now in the #1 position of the boot order?
USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #49
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

In BIOS you should have a
DVD Drive
the new HD
showing.
Do you?

Boot order in BIOS
DVD Drive
new HD
Do you?

The old HD, under the bed out of the way.
Do you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #50
Prospector

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 
Can't Stop Laughing!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
In BIOS you should have a
DVD Drive
the new HD
showing.
Do you?

Boot order in BIOS
DVD Drive
new HD
Do you?

The old HD, under the bed out of the way.
Do you?
I am doing the copy and paste as I write this but can't get over your sense of humor. The Onboard Devices that mentions options to manage LegacySelect has in the BIOS , USB controller: Off, On and No Boot which says that even the No Boot selection will allow the BIOS to recocnize USB storage. It is set to "On".

Now, this will allow repair? Or only a complete wipe and fresh install?

I just tried to start the flash install and the previous programs, files and the auto-start Mem86 that I thought I had found and removed the files, but it is still showing. the Tutorial may need to be updated! It warned that it would wipe the files on the drive and did not!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
If i install a dual boot(put in XP), will i be able to run my old game
Some old games i have cannot run or start or bad qualtiy cannot run with windows 7, so if i install XP as a dual boot, will i be able to run these old games? I know how to create a dual boot Operating system. My specs :- Hard drive - 500Gb (2 partitions, Local C & Local D) RAM - 3GB...
Performance & Maintenance
Screwed up XP dual-boot install, now can't boot Vista
I was asked for a SP3 disc when I went to install the XP onto it's own partition. I didn't have it so I cancelled, now my Vista machine won't boot into Vista. It keeps auto-booting to the XP side and getting stuck at the same point with the SP3 disc. I tried hitting F11 for recovery at system...
Installation & Setup
Dual boot - XP won't install
Hi, I've searched the forums and haven't found a solution to my particular issue so I'm hoping someone might be able to help. Currently I'm using Windows 7 as my only OS and I want to set up a dual boot with XP, but it's having trouble getting through the install process. I have some...
Installation & Setup
How to install RTM over RC/XP dual-boot?
I have Win XP 32-bit set up in a dual boot with a Win 7 RC. How would I go about installing the RTM over the RC and keep the dual-boot setup? I assume that I can say, "please wipe out the Win 7 RC that is already there", correct?
Installation & Setup
Dual boot: Install XP AFTER W7
Hi I have W7 installed in C , Now I want to install XP in other partition (D) in the same HD, to work on dual boot. I ask help from you because I could not do the installation by the obvious method: installing XP by booting its installation CD and choosing the D partition for the system, my...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Install
I'm new to the forum and have searched, but no one seems to have asked this. PLease bear with me otherwise. I am trying to install Win 7, x64 in a multi-boot format beside my working Vista Ultimate, x64. I installed a 160GB Seagate drive just to house Win 7 and whatever other software I'm...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App