Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Merge 3 Partitions

24 Jul 2011   #11
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Unfortunately your D partition is the active partition (where the bootmgr resides). So the task is not that easy.

If I were you, I would backup all my user data and start from scratch. That means delete the C, D and E partitions and define a new partition in that unallocated space. Then reinstall /7 there.

There are other ways of doing it by saving your data from D and E, then image C. After deletion of C, D and E and the definition of a new partition there, you restore the image. Then you repair the bootmgr and off you go.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jul 2011   #12
gregrocker

 

Once you delete Vista the REcovery partition will no longer run, so make your Recovery disks if you think you might ever want to restore the computer to factory condition to resell it and/or move your Win7 elsewhere.

Since your partitions are almost empty, I would just go ahead and use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to delete all but C, then rightclick C to Resize, drag it's left border all the way to left so it is in the preferred lower HD address for faster reads. Then drag the right border of C to the left to make space for a new data partition of the size desired.

Once you delete then resize as desired, click on C to Modify>Set to Active, OK. Then click on HD to highlight it, from Disk tab select Rebuild MBR, apply it to see if Win7 will start when rebooted. If not boot into the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD to run the 3 Startup Repairs which BareFootKid linked above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #13
iKeirNez

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
OK the first thing that needs done is to make the C: partition the Windows "System Active" partition so the System boot files can be (re)created to the C: partition, don't do anything else until you do that.


Start by having a look at thsi tutorial at the link below and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.


Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times


Okay I will try and do this soon!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Partition 1 is the Recovery partition for ACER partition 2.
I definetely know that partition 1 is the recovery partition for ACER!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2011   #14
iKeirNez

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Unfortunately your D partition is the active partition (where the bootmgr resides). So the task is not that easy.

If I were you, I would backup all my user data and start from scratch. That means delete the C, D and E partitions and define a new partition in that unallocated space. Then reinstall /7 there.

There are other ways of doing it by saving your data from D and E, then image C. After deletion of C, D and E and the definition of a new partition there, you restore the image. Then you repair the bootmgr and off you go.
Okay! Well I could do that!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Once you delete Vista the REcovery partition will no longer run, so make your Recovery disks if you think you might ever want to restore the computer to factory condition to resell it and/or move your Win7 elsewhere.

Since your partitions are almost empty, I would just go ahead and use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to delete all but C, then rightclick C to Resize, drag it's left border all the way to left so it is in the preferred lower HD address for faster reads. Then drag the right border of C to the left to make space for a new data partition of the size desired.

Once you delete then resize as desired, click on C to Modify>Set to Active, OK. Then click on HD to highlight it, from Disk tab select Rebuild MBR, apply it to see if Win7 will start when rebooted. If not boot into the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD to run the 3 Startup Repairs which BareFootKid linked above.
How can I create the recovery discs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #15
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 



My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #16
iKeirNez

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

I don't think I will need one anyway. I have the Windows 7 disc anyway!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #17
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello again.


Have a look at this tutorial linked below for some ideas.


Partition : Recover Space Used by an Older OS

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #18
iKeirNez

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello again.


Have a look at this tutorial linked below for some ideas.

Partition : Recover Space Used by an Older OS

Okay I will have a look later. The computer is being used by someone else just now lol!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2011   #19
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

OK just to be sure to post back here with updates so we know how you get on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Merge 3 Partitions




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can I merge two partitions on the same HDD?
I currently have a WD 750GB Scorpio Blue HDD and I wanted to know if I could merge partitions as currently C: is a small partition of 80GB and that contains the windows install (I clicked the wrong partition in a rush) and so I am left with the rest of the 600+GB as a new volume which contains all...
Hardware & Devices
How To: Merge these partitions
is it possible to merge these 2 partitions together? F into D http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6595/61173417.png please provide me with links to any tutorials/guides/software to solve this and one more thing: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6177/98319571.png installed RAM is...
General Discussion
How do I merge partitions?
How do I merge partitions? I have just install a new SSD drive as my C Drive. My old HDD was partitioned into two drives (C and D). How do I merge the partitions so that I have one partition (D Drive)? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Performance & Maintenance
merge partitions
I would like to merge the C Drive and the D drive partitions (same HD). when I right click on the D drive, delete is not active. Do I need to "mark partition as active" on the D drive to make "delete vloume" active before I can delete the D drive then extend the C drive?
Hardware & Devices
How to merge partitions
Hello, I have attempted to install ubuntu but it kept failing and I was left out with too many partitions. I have googled this issue but I couldn't find a clear answer. Attached is a screenshot of my disk manager. My question is, how can I merge 2 partitions together?
General Discussion
Would it be possible to merge these two partitions?
After discovering Speccy, I saw this and now I'm curious. Do I have one hard drive that was shrunk to have two 70 GB partitions or do I have two hard drives? If they are two partitions, can I merge them(formatting XP)?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App