Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Could I upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit?

07 Aug 2009   #1
doronb2

Windows 7 RC
 
 
Could I upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit?

Hi,
I ordered the 50$ Windows 7 upgrade disk.
I realize that Windows 7 will need vista or XP already installed for the upgrade version of Windows 7.
But if I want to upgrade my Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit,
Will I be able to do it with this upgrade disk?
after all I will need a fresh install (because 32 to 64) and this is the upgrade version...
Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Aug 2009   #2
Capella

Windows 7 64 bit build 7600
 
 

i think you can actually....
dunno for sure BUT
i do know that upgrade from 32 to 64 bit operating system cannot happen because the programs would FAIL.
However, I dont know if the windows 7 upgrade disk will accept the windows vista product key.
check this site:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...01033.mspx#EBF
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #3
BishopLord

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by doronb2 View Post
Hi,
I ordered the 50$ Windows 7 upgrade disk.
I realize that Windows 7 will need vista or XP already installed for the upgrade version of Windows 7.
But if I want to upgrade my Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit,
Will I be able to do it with this upgrade disk?
after all I will need a fresh install (because 32 to 64) and this is the upgrade version...
Thanks!
I am 100% sure that you will be able to, because like you said, the Windows 7 "upgrade" will essentially be a fresh install (once setup determines that you have a qualified Windows product already installed, ie Windows XP or even Windows 2000). Since it's a fresh install, it will install the 64 bit version, if that is the one you bought.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Aug 2009   #4
Sassa

 
 

You can't upgrade 64bit from 32bit...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #5
doronb2

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Thanks for your answers.
I'll keep searching for an official one from Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #6
andrej770

Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sassa View Post
You can't upgrade 64bit from 32bit...

From this chart, it looks like you can Upgrade to 64Bit from 32 Bit but must be a custom install (basically a clean) install. So what it really comes down to is what a persons definition of upgrade is.

http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/files...rade-chart.png
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #7
Sassa

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrej770 View Post
From this chart, it looks like you can Upgrade to 64Bit from 32 Bit but must be a custom install (basically a clean) install. So what it really comes down to is what a persons definition of upgrade is.

http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/files...rade-chart.png
Look the picture better...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #8
Sassa

 
 

Just to be cleared...
Attachment 22167
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2009   #9
RWOne

vista x64
 
 

Gentlemen, an upgrade path is just that, an upgrade to the currently installed OS. If you perform the win 7 upgrade path to a vista x32 system, it will install win 7 x32.

A clean install, as indicated is a full install with no previous Os on the system, and the upgrade disc's will not have that option available.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2009   #10
Sassa

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RWOne View Post
Gentlemen, an upgrade path is just that, an upgrade to the currently installed OS. If you perform the win 7 upgrade path to a vista x32 system, it will install win 7 x32.

A clean install, as indicated is a full install with no previous Os on the system, and the upgrade disc's will not have that option available.
That is what I try to say all the time, but some people don't want to listen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Could I upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Vista to Windows 7 Upgrade
hello all, i joined this forum to learn more about Windows because I am not a techie and hope that you can help me fix my problem. I have an hp g60 laptop 64 bit circa 2009. when i purchased this laptop, it had vista home premium but it came with a free windows 7 upgrade. i upgraded to 7...
Installation & Setup
windows 7 upgrade from vista
I have another computer(a desktop) which came with Vista, for which I will be purchasing the win 7 HP upgrade version in order to upgrade from Vista to Win 7 HP 32 bit. According to the instructions on the MS website for installing the upgrade version, everything should go smoothly, and be able to...
Installation & Setup
upgrade vista 64 bit to windows 7
HI!, everyone, completed an upgrade this evening from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. I appear to have lost all my files, ie pictures, documents, desktop. I dont think they have been deleted, and i didnt have a backup device. Any idea where they are hidden, or can i do a backwards re install...
General Discussion
Vista OEM upgrade to Windows 7
Ok, so a while back I made myself a new rig. Newegg had a deal if i buy Vista I get Windows 7 for free. Basically I upgraded Vista to Windows 7. Is my Vista license void now or is it still valid? My other right needed a reformat so I put my original Vista on that computer. Will this screw with my...
General Discussion
Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7
My laptop has Vista Home Premium and I now want to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium (UK). My laptop also has Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office which were installed already when I bought it. However I have been told that if I buy the UPGRADE for Windows 7, I will lose Works and Office and will...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App