Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: ghost files?

12 Sep 2009   #1
PimpFinger

Windows 7 64 ultimate
 
 
ghost files?

Last night I did a clean install of 7 pro 64bit. I installed to drive C: a 150 GB WD Raptor. I then wanted to reinstall office, visual basic, etc... but when I navigate to my 1 TB HD and open the Microsoft folder where I save all my Microsoft software the folder is empty. However when I view the general properties of the folder it says it contains a few thousand files totaling about 20 GB. I changed ownership drive root to my user, and applied to all subfolders/files. If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated.
I'm sure I'm just overlooking something.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Sep 2009   #2
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Have you left it open on that folder for a couple of minutes?

I've noticed that when opening a new folder in 7, expecially one with hundreds of files and dozens of subfolders, it can take a surprisingly long time to actually start showing you rthe contents sometimes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PimpFinger View Post
Last night I did a clean install of 7 pro 64bit. I installed to drive C: a 150 GB WD Raptor. I then wanted to reinstall office, visual basic, etc... but when I navigate to my 1 TB HD and open the Microsoft folder where I save all my Microsoft software the folder is empty. However when I view the general properties of the folder it says it contains a few thousand files totaling about 20 GB. I changed ownership drive root to my user, and applied to all subfolders/files. If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated.
I'm sure I'm just overlooking something.

Are you viewing all files/folders? was this HD from another INSTALL/os? Who is the owner of the folder? (remember you from old machine is not you from win 7)

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Sep 2009   #4
PimpFinger

Windows 7 64 ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PimpFinger View Post
Last night I did a clean install of 7 pro 64bit. I installed to drive C: a 150 GB WD Raptor. I then wanted to reinstall office, visual basic, etc... but when I navigate to my 1 TB HD and open the Microsoft folder where I save all my Microsoft software the folder is empty. However when I view the general properties of the folder it says it contains a few thousand files totaling about 20 GB. I changed ownership drive root to my user, and applied to all subfolders/files. If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated.
I'm sure I'm just overlooking something.

Are you viewing all files/folders? was this HD from another INSTALL/os? Who is the owner of the folder? (remember you from old machine is not you from win 7)

ken
I am viewing all files/folders. The HD containing the folder/files has only been used as storage. The entire drive including the folder in question is owned by my user. Whatever is going on is only affecting the one folder of many on the drive.

What I'd like to know now is: Is it possible to completely remove everything to do with permissions/ownership on this drive without losing my user data so that I can reinstall 7 again with a fresh storage HD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2009   #5
ddeen

Windows 7 RC 7100
 
 

Did you try opening an admin cmd window at that directory and doing a dir?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Sep 2009   #6
PimpFinger

Windows 7 64 ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ddeen View Post
Did you try opening an admin cmd window at that directory and doing a dir?
No I did not try that however I was able to get the files back using a ubuntu installation. I just thought is was weird that there was only one folder affected, and it was the first one I needed after installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 ghost files?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Ghost files when I open Word Documents
How do I stop these ghost files from appearing? This never used to happen before in the past. Files normally start with a $~ Thanks.
Microsoft Office
Windows Updates Fail, Windows Photo Gallery Errors, Ghost Files
I am working on someone else's computer and they are having Windows Update problems. Not a single update can install. It downloads, installs, and restarts, but on boot, it undoes all changes. I have tried installing only one (of 100+) but it still fails. I have tried CCleaner for registry/cache...
Windows Updates & Activation
Win 7 and Ghost 15
I have been using Ghost 15 with no problem for sometime, I dont install it to windows I just boot from the recovery disk and copy the Win 7 partition. Then I copy this to new machines (same hardware). The latest batch of pc's I did the usual. Installed Win 7 and all programs and made a ghost copy...
Backup and Restore
Norton Ghost 15.0
I use the Norton Ghost 15.0 and i will like to know,is it possible to restore my computer without using the recovery cd? (I have the recovery cd but i looking for the easiest/better way)
Software
Making a boot DVD of Ghost files
I hope not OT - not W7, but Windows, anyway... I want to make a new DVD from an old one in the hopes that it will be easier to read. Is it enough to download the first to my HDD and burn these files to a new one? I suspect not. Can anyone help, please? The backstory is: I have a dodgy...
General Discussion
What's with VMs and Norton Ghost?
Tried XpVM and VMware VM (via VM Server 2.0) and when i tried to use Ghost, it ran but could never get my USB seagate drive to be on the drop down menu when trying to ghost from image. What do i do i get this USB HDD detected? :mad:
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App