Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual channel RAM or not?

19 Sep 2009   #1
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 
Dual channel RAM or not?

I may want to up the memory on my machine from 1 GB to 2 GB which is the mainboard's maximum. It is an MS-7211 from MSI. Here is the only thing the manual says about memory:

Main Memory
Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
Supports up to 2GB PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAMs.
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.

I want to get dual channel ram. Can anyone tell me if they know it is guaranteed to work? Or do you need a special motherboard for dual channel?
Facts definitely welcomed and so are educated guesses too. Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Sep 2009   #2
skunksmash

SEVEN x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
I may want to up the memory on my machine from 1 GB to 2 GB which is the mainboard's maximum. It is an MS-7211 from MSI. Here is the only thing the manual says about memory:

Main Memory
Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
Supports up to 2GB PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAMs.
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.

I want to get dual channel ram. Can anyone tell me if they know it is guaranteed to work? Or do you need a special motherboard for dual channel?
Facts definitely welcomed and so are educated guesses too. Thanks.
Hi torrentg......

as long as your RAM sticks timings & sizes match, you'll be running ''dual channel'', the BIOS will deal with it automatically.....all motherboards that run DDR, run ''Dual channel'' (where applicable)

so ideally you want a 2gb kit (2x1gb), but its not essential.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #3
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
I may want to up the memory on my machine from 1 GB to 2 GB which is the mainboard's maximum. It is an MS-7211 from MSI. Here is the only thing the manual says about memory:

Main Memory
Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
Supports up to 2GB PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAMs.
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.

I want to get dual channel ram. Can anyone tell me if they know it is guaranteed to work? Or do you need a special motherboard for dual channel?
Facts definitely welcomed and so are educated guesses too. Thanks.
Hi torrentg......

as long as your RAM sticks timings & sizes match, you'll be running ''dual channel'', the BIOS will deal with it automatically.....all motherboards that run DDR, run ''Dual channel'' (where applicable)

so ideally you want a 2gb kit (2x1gb), but its not essential.
Note:
Even if the timings and native fsb don't match, but the sizes do, they will run in dual channel.
The faster ram stick will run at the settings of the slower one

greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Sep 2009   #4
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #5
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Remember in order to enable dual channel, you need to fit your ram sticks to slots 1 and 3 not 1 and 2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #6
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
Remember in order to enable dual channel, you need to fit your ram sticks to slots 1 and 3 not 1 and 2.
Put on your
The board only has two slots.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #7
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
OCZ is excellent memory, so it's a fine choice.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #8
skunksmash

SEVEN x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
I may want to up the memory on my machine from 1 GB to 2 GB which is the mainboard's maximum. It is an MS-7211 from MSI. Here is the only thing the manual says about memory:

Main Memory
Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
Supports up to 2GB PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAMs.
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.

I want to get dual channel ram. Can anyone tell me if they know it is guaranteed to work? Or do you need a special motherboard for dual channel?
Facts definitely welcomed and so are educated guesses too. Thanks.
Hi torrentg......

as long as your RAM sticks timings & sizes match, you'll be running ''dual channel'', the BIOS will deal with it automatically.....all motherboards that run DDR, run ''Dual channel'' (where applicable)

so ideally you want a 2gb kit (2x1gb), but its not essential.
Note:
Even if the timings and native fsb don't match, but the sizes do, they will run in dual channel.
The faster ram stick will run at the settings of the slower one

greetz

ahh yes..... but the reason i said get matching RAM timings is b/c the timings can differ even on sticks with a matching CAS

for instance...... if you had two 1gb RAM sticks both capable of running 800mhz @ CL5, one stick might be ''5-5-5-15'' & one might be ''5-5-5-18''

this may not affect ''dual & single channel'', but these sticks wont gel well together.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual channel RAM or not?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Any drawbacks to mixing single-channel and dual-channel for RAM?
Hi, I currently have 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz RAM which I had bought around 3 years ago. I am currently thinking of upgrading to 8GB. However, my vendor tells me that 2GB sticks are no longer available for Corsair and that I have to either get a 4GB or 8GB stick. My current 2x2GB runs in...
Hardware & Devices
Single channel VS Dual Channel RAM performance boost?
Hi.. So as usual im an idiot and i looked into my case and am still debating if my ram really should sit right next to eachother and i started Speccy and it said that i had single channel ram 2 different channels with 16GB total. I got confused becouse the motherboard manual said i should put the...
Hardware & Devices
Single channel DDR2 but can run Dual channel
Hi, My system is abit IP35 quad core 2 q6600 running 4gb of RAM, all the same spec. Win 7 64bit and Win 7 32 bit partitions. I recently added 64 bit partition to run more RAM, so the slots 2 and 4 will have gotton dust in it as it was unused for ages. If I wiggle the slot 4 in sometimes...
Hardware & Devices
Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains
Hey everyone http://m.bestofmedia.com/sfp/images/design/usr/smilies/smile.gif I got a bit of a problem here, and I'm at a loss on what to do to fix it. Some background about the situation would be a good place to start. A few days ago I came home from work and found my PC in a "lights are...
Hardware & Devices
dual channel ram in quad channel inputs.
im looking at a lga 2011 x79 board. namely this one> Newegg.com - ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard but am looking at this ram> Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model...
Hardware & Devices
RAM: Single Channel to Dual Channel.....no difference?
hi all, recently it came to my notice that i was running my RAM on single channel mode (2x2gb) on my dh67bl mobo. i saw it in cpu z and it showed single channel. So, i changed my ram and placed it in identical slots and now the Cpu z shows dual channel RAM. but i don't see any visible...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:34.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App