Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Clean V/s Upgrade

27 Sep 2009   #1
7even

Vista Home Premium
 
 
Clean V/s Upgrade

I need to know a couple of things before i install my new OS..

1st. Can be install lower versions of Windows 7, like Home Premium if i have a Ultimate Disk

2nd. I hear about Clean Install and Upgrade.. I have a fair bit of software installed,
now if i Install Windows 7 is software keys going in the dump..or just transfer over..(i haven't stored many keys to software)

if i can transfer over my software... which method of installation is that.. Clean or Upgrade?

Plz help a newbie with Windows 7

thanks 7even


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Sep 2009   #2
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I need to know a couple of things before i install my new OS..

1st. Can be install lower versions of Windows 7, like Home Premium if i have a Ultimate Disk

2nd. I hear about Clean Install and Upgrade.. I have a fair bit of software installed,
now if i Install Windows 7 is software keys going in the dump..or just transfer over..(i haven't stored many keys to software)

if i can transfer over my software... which method of installation is that.. Clean or Upgrade?

Plz help a newbie with Windows 7

thanks 7even
1. Yes. Delete ei.cfg from install files.
2. i haven't stored many keys to software - contact the provider
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2009   #3
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

I have saved all of my Software keys and printed them out. If you have paid for and downloaded software from a vendor, then contact them, or run a scan with Belarc Advisor (builds a detailed profile of your current OS) and print out the page. It will show most of your keys. Do this before switching to Windows 7.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Sep 2009   #4
7even

Vista Home Premium
 
 

Thanks Guys... i understand now.. thanks for the link


Now.. can someone answer Q1.. can i downgrade using Ultimate 7 Disk to Home Premium 7..

Thanks Again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2009   #5
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Your 1st Q was answered by Antman

You have to open the ISO file with an ISO editor, delete the ei.cfg file, and rebuild the ISO.

An alternative is to extract the files from the ISO to a second partition, delete the ei.cfg file, and run setup from the second partition.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #6
7even

Vista Home Premium
 
 

i understand deleting file but... like i said i have a disk, i signed up for the 7 launch party, so i have a limited edition disk.. so now how do i delete a file already on a CD..? huh


Thanks again for helping a newbie
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7even View Post
i understand deleting file but... like i said i have a disk, i signed up for the 7 launch party, so i have a limited edition disk.. so now how do i delete a file already on a CD..? huh


Thanks again for helping a newbie
drag the contents of the dvd to your desktop. delete the file. Burn a new dvd ISO using a burner like IMGburn, of power ISO.

thats it

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #8
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7even View Post
i understand deleting file but... like i said i have a disk, i signed up for the 7 launch party, so i have a limited edition disk.. so now how do i delete a file already on a CD..? huh


Thanks again for helping a newbie
drag the contents of the dvd to your desktop. delete the file. Burn a new dvd ISO using a burner like IMGburn, of power ISO.

thats it

ken
In a folder on your desktop, otherwise your desktop becomes a mess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #9
7even

Vista Home Premium
 
 

ahh i see now thank u one and all

thanks again 7even.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Clean V/s Upgrade




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Clean istall with upgrade dvd
Hi, I have an acer laptop which came with vista, i then upgraded it to 7 with the upgrade that acer sent me. I made an image of it which i had to use after getting a virus. I now want to install a clean installation of 7. After reading some of the other tutorials which said you can use the upgrade...
Installation & Setup
clean install with upgrade
Is it possible to do a clean install with upgrade version of home premium or ultimate? Meaning format everything first and then use the Windows 7 upgrade dvd to install it from scratch?
Installation & Setup
Upgrade or Clean Install Which is better?
Should I choose Upgrade to Upgrade Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate or Clean Install from Windows Vista reformat and reinstall Everything But What if i get a virus before i do upgrade What if i choose upgrade they say windows 7 fster but being slugish when doing upgrade?
Installation & Setup
Can I Do a clean install after an upgrade?
Next Thursday I'll be upgrading from Vista64 to Windows 7. I plan to do an upgrade to test things out. After verifying which applications/utilities work or don't work, I'll be daring and bold and would like to do a clean install. Will this be possible using the the upgrade disk I will receive...
Installation & Setup
upgrade or clean install or the two
Bonjour Stiil awaiting my pre ordered Windows 7 For now i think i will try to upgrade from my Vista 64 bits home premium (working well) to Windoews 7 home premium 64 bits because i don't want to reinstall all my softs But if after it seems to have problem with upgrade can i use the same Dvd and...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App