Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Reformating computer with two Hard Drives.

27 Dec 2012   #11
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

You can backup/system image Drive C: to Drive D: as long as Drive D: has enough free space. After the backup/system image finishes Drive D: will contain the original 200gb of data plus you'll see a new file called WindowsImageBackup.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2012   #12
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
You can backup/system image Drive C: to Drive D: as long as Drive D: has enough free space. After the backup/system image finishes Drive D: will contain the original 200gb of data plus you'll see a new file called WindowsImageBackup.
Ohhhhhhh...
And here I was thinking backups were stored in the hard drive like some sort of partition and not just a simple folder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #13
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
You can backup/system image Drive C: to Drive D: as long as Drive D: has enough free space. After the backup/system image finishes Drive D: will contain the original 200gb of data plus you'll see a new file called WindowsImageBackup.
Ohhhhhhh...
And here I was thinking backups were stored in the hard drive like some sort of partition and not just a simple folder
Just to add to the mix, the WindowsImageBackup file is what's created when using the native Windows 7 backup/system image utility. If you use Macrium it creates a unique file name with a bunch of random letters and numbers. If you want to save more than one Windows 7 image the easiest thing to do is rename each WindowsImageBackup to something else. I rename my Windows 7 images to WIB122712 (the date it was created.) If I ever need to restore my computer using a particular image I rename it back to WindowsImageBackup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2012   #14
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
You can backup/system image Drive C: to Drive D: as long as Drive D: has enough free space. After the backup/system image finishes Drive D: will contain the original 200gb of data plus you'll see a new file called WindowsImageBackup.
Ohhhhhhh...
And here I was thinking backups were stored in the hard drive like some sort of partition and not just a simple folder
Just to add to the mix, the WindowsImageBackup file is what's created when using the native Windows 7 backup/system image utility. If you use Macrium it creates a unique file name with a bunch of random letters and numbers. If you want to save more than one Windows 7 image the easiest thing to do is rename each WindowsImageBackup to something else. I rename my Windows 7 images to WIB122712 (the date it was created.) If I ever need to restore my computer using a particular image I rename it back to WindowsImageBackup.
Alright. I think the road I'll take is save and backup all my personal folders, and application installers to start a new to avoid any sort of.. shennanigan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Reformating computer with two Hard Drives.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
2 external hard drives not available - my computer
under my computer i should have 2 external drives that are connected to MB via usb 3.0 and somes times after reboot they are not available not sure why. Bios shows them as there, i turned them to be booted as they are just storage and not boot devices. not sure what else would be the issue. drives...
Hardware & Devices
Laptop computer with 4 hard drives?
I need to purchase a computer. Below is pasted from a vendorís shopping cart. Does this laptop computer have 4 hard drives? 2 mSATA SSDs, and 2 mechanical hard drives? If this is possible is there any disadvantage other than cost to using a computer with 4 hard drives? Would there be any...
Hardware & Devices
Reformating computer without knowing linux was installed.
Hey guys. A friend of mine gave me his computer to perform a quick reformat into. It had two hard drives, and asked me to please reformat all of them. However One of the hard drives was not being detected with windows, so I went to disk manager, and formatted/shut it off. Now whenever I...
Installation & Setup
Adding Old hard drives to new computer
I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit . I added 2 hard drives from my old computer to the new one. The old computer was Windows XP 32 bit with a Raid 1 configuration. I just want the added hard drives as storage and non raid. The installation went smoothly but the new...
Hardware & Devices
Reformating Windows 7 on Hard Drive
Hi, I want Just windows 7 on my Hard Drive. Originally it was windows vista on it and the space is increasing now. I want to delete everything on my HD, but just now have windows 7 on it. What do I do? Thanks I want to clear everything on HD? How do I do it Thanks.
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App