Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: wondering how to set up

11 Oct 2009   #21
mn9500

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
so can anyone tell me how much faster it would be to have windows on the first partition of a hard drive rather than on the second partition?
You probably won't notice much of a difference, it's a generally accepted practice and less work for the HD.

Acronis Disk Director can add that partition as the first on the disk easily and with no problems affecting your files that are there, even if you had an OS there it won't affect it's ability to function.

I have done this several times, all files are intact and the OS just keeps on going...
how would i do that? make it active or some other way.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Oct 2009   #22
mcleod55

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

How large partition would you guys recommend for the OS to be installed on?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #23
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

I would Allocate about 80GB for the OS have never run out of space with that sort of size.

You can also use the location feature of Windows 7 to point the system to data kept on the other partition which also keeps the system running as Microsoft intended (documents, photos etc), whilst actually storing data away from the system drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Oct 2009   #24
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
so i think im going to make a partition on the new 1tb hdd (its the second set of results) and use it for windows 7.
Good advice.

I always use one partition for the OS and another partition for data/files. Makes it easier to re-install.

Your new 1tb hdd with the 32mb cache will be the fastest (which you proved already), as sup3rsprt mentioned, be sure to put it as the first usable partition on the disc.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
how do i make sure its the first usuable partition? and can i do that if i already have it formatted with files on it?
Yes, Acronis can do that easily.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
edit: okay, im in acronis disk director, do i make the new partition active, primary, or logical? im guessing either active or primary.
Make it Primary.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
can i make a second partition on the 1 tb hdd for windows to use? the hdd is already formatted with files on it, can i just make another partition in acronis disk director and use it for windows 7, or does it have to be the first partition on the disk?
Make a new partition and put it first, all the way to the left.
All of your files will be moved (kept in the original partition)
Put Win7 on the new first partition.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
how would i do that? make it active or some other way.
Before doing any partition adjustment or operating system installation always backup your existing hard drives, just to be safe.
What backup program do you use?

1st Use Acronis to make a new partition on the new Hard drive.
Put it first on the Disk, all the way to the left.

Make it at least 80GB.


Then read this tutorial: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

(First you will need to make the new partition with Acronis)

Then start with #2:
2. To Use a Separate Hard Disk Drive than the XP Drive -

3. Click on the Install now button.

In step 4. When you get to this point, select the hard drive and partition to install Windows 7 on.

5. Finish installing Windows 7.
NOTE: You would do step 9 on that link to finish installing Windows 7.


Read through these tutorials and reply if you have any questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #25
mn9500

 
 

it wont let me drag the new partition to the left.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #26
myzr7

Windows 7 Ulti. x64
 
 

Is the partition you are trying to bump over marked active, system? That may be why you can't move it over.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #27
mn9500

 
 

i choose primary for the type of partition, then when it asks me to review the disk structure, it wont let me place the partition on the left.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #28
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
i choose primary for the type of partition, then when it asks me to review the disk structure, it wont let me place the partition on the left.
I don't use Acronis Disk Director but, the basic operations should be similar.

In the window you posted, move your cursor over the left side of the F drive 851GB partition, you should see the cursor change to two parallel lines with two opposing arrows, this will let you drag the left side of this partition to the right.
Move it enough to make 80GB of unallocated space.
Click this unallocated space and create your new partition, NTFS and Primary.

When this is successful, delete the 80GB partition on the right side (end), then drag the right side of the large partition to take the space left there.

Let us know if this works.
The functions should be similar to what I've suggested, for you in Acronis.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #29
mn9500

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
i choose primary for the type of partition, then when it asks me to review the disk structure, it wont let me place the partition on the left.
I don't use Acronis Disk Director but, the basic operations should be similar.

In the window you posted, move your cursor over the left side of the F drive 851GB partition, you should see the cursor change to two parallel lines with two opposing arrows, this will let you drag the left side of this partition to the right.
Move it enough to make 80GB of unallocated space.
Click this unallocated space and create your new partition, NTFS and Primary.

When this is successful, delete the 80GB partition on the right side (end), then drag the right side of the large partition to take the space left there.

Let us know if this works.
The functions should be similar to what I've suggested, for you in Acronis.
no, it wont let me do that in acronis. what app do you use?

edit: for anyone with acronis disk director suite, change the mode to manual mode in the view submenu, and choose resize partition. thats what i did and it works. now the partition is in front.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #30
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mn9500 View Post
no, it wont let me do that in acronis. what app do you use?

edit: for anyone with acronis disk director suite, change the mode to manual mode in the view submenu, and choose resize partition. thats what i did and it works. now the partition is in front.
Glad to hear you got your partition setup.

Let us know how the Win7 install goes.

Check this for tutorials on installation: Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 wondering how to set up




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Just wondering
I just got windows 7 ultimate for my computer and on the bottom when i go on the internet, it doesnt show little pictures with the sites. It just shows the sites which is wierd cause on my other computer with windows 7, it shows little pictures with like link and stuff to them where i click the...
General Discussion
just wondering.......
i'm just wondering what is the problem of the computer if it has this symptoms *The PC if started(Win 7 ultimate) it wont load up as if you turn on the computer and theres no bios on it because if you turn it on the bios wont show up i mean the normal messages when loading it will only show...
General Discussion
I was just wondering....
I was just wondering where to find out if the HP Pavilion dv6-2112ea is a good laptop for games? Or where to find out this information? Please state which website (If any)
Gaming
Wondering
Is there any of the Win 7 members that belonged to Compuserve?
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App