Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Trying to install Win 7 on xp machine.. having trubs..

14 Oct 2009   #1
musiclover7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Trying to install Win 7 on xp machine.. having trubs..

It seems, I cannot load the os from the dvd. Attempts to do so have failed in this case. It appears to work, but then flops mid stream with some error. It is a sister in laws machine who lives cross country, I am trying to walk her through the necessaries over the phone.. anyways..

Using a method that worked for me a few weeks back, I sent her a new hard drive.. sata 500gb.. and given that the dvd install failed, I attempted to create two partitions on the new drive one.. 450 gb containing nothing.. and the other 5 gb containing all the os files.. This drive, I made active in windows xp drive manager..

Trouble is, when she boots, with just this new drive plugged in, she gets NTLDR is missing error. For some reason, it is not picking up the bootable drive partition and booting from it, though I could swear I just used these same steps to great effect not too long ago..

Any advice appreciated..!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2009   #2
gregrocker

 

If you only created a 5 gb partition then I can only assume you didn't install the Win7 but just stored the install files there? It isn't bootable because it needs to be installed first to boot.

I believe you said she has an XP machine and that you sent her a secondary HDD, so she can plug it in a secondary drive slot, boot from her XP drive, then copy those install files onto her XP desktop, installing them to the newer drive from there by runnng Setup.exe. I would not run Setup from the 5gb partition because the early space on the drive is needed for the boot files, so she should instead copy them to her XP desktop, run setup.exe, select a custom install to the other drive, choose Advanced Options, delete the partition, create a new larger partition, format and install the WIndows 7 there. It will create a dual boot menu with XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #3
musiclover7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

I cannot run setup.exe, as it states it is not a valid win32 application.. Should have mentioned.. I am trying to load 64bit Win7 from a 32 bit XP..

A few weeks back, I had a similar situation, but was able to boot off of the new 5gb partition, by copying the install files to it, and marking it as active in disk management. After all, the computer will boot from the DVD, why not a hdd with the exact same files on it?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, or if there is a way to make a 64bit installer work inside the 32 bit older windows. any advice still appreciated..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Oct 2009   #4
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Hi

Try a USB stick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #5
L.P.

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
It seems, I cannot load the os from the dvd. Attempts to do so have failed in this case. It appears to work, but then flops mid stream with some error. It is a sister in laws machine who lives cross country, I am trying to walk her through the necessaries over the phone.. anyways..

Using a method that worked for me a few weeks back, I sent her a new hard drive.. sata 500gb.. and given that the dvd install failed, I attempted to create two partitions on the new drive one.. 450 gb containing nothing.. and the other 5 gb containing all the os files.. This drive, I made active in windows xp drive manager..

Trouble is, when she boots, with just this new drive plugged in, she gets NTLDR is missing error. For some reason, it is not picking up the bootable drive partition and booting from it, though I could swear I just used these same steps to great effect not too long ago..

Any advice appreciated..!!
I am Sorry My freind, Upgarde is not possible, instead do a custom insatllation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #6
mcleod55

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Could it be that the XP doesn't have the SATA drivers for the sata hard drive you sent?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #7
musiclover7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

I can format the drive inside xp, so I do not believe that is the case.. I do not want to run an upgrade.. I want to do a custom install. I cannot recall the error we got when installing from dvd, but it would start to expand, and then mid way, would report some error that I think was driver related.. It would say, sorry setup cannot install windows..

So, I am trying to copy install files over to the hard drive, and run the install from a partition on that drive, but get the ntldr error.. I have used this method before.. Not sure why it is not working now.. Before when I used the method, I marked the partition active in Vista, to make it bootable.. I did the same thing in XP..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #8
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
I can format the drive inside xp, so I do not believe that is the case.. I do not want to run an upgrade.. I want to do a custom install. I cannot recall the error we got when installing from dvd, but it would start to expand, and then mid way, would report some error that I think was driver related.. It would say, sorry setup cannot install windows..

So, I am trying to copy install files over to the hard drive, and run the install from a partition on that drive, but get the ntldr error.. I have used this method before.. Not sure why it is not working now.. Before when I used the method, I marked the partition active in Vista, to make it bootable.. I did the same thing in XP..
I'm not real clear on the details.

Are there two HD in the XP machine now?
Or, did you swap them out?
Are you planning on installing Win7 on the new HD you sent, or on the origional HD?

If you want to install from another partition or HD, extract the ISO into a non-target partition, using winrar, 7zip or something similar. Try to run (double click) Setup.exe from there.
Install Windows 7 Without Using Any External Device

If this doesn't work try putting your ISO on a 4GB USB memory key.
USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create
I would put the usb memory stick in, reboot, (hit F8 or F12 whatever the computer requires to) get the boot options then select USB device. This way when it re-boots it will go to the HD.

If this doesn't work then give us more information, system specs, what you've done with some details.

Check these two sticky threads;
Questions to use for help with Installation Issues

Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7

Let us know how it's going.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #9
musiclover7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Sent her a USB key yesterday. There are 2 drives in the mix.. One with XP, one brand new.. I partitioned the new drive inside xp, such that it had one partition at 450gb, and another at 5 gb, this second containing the windows install files.. I then marked the second partition active on that drive.. Had her shut down the machine.. unplug the old hard drive to remove risk of overwriting her old data, and boot.. Unfortunately, I am getting ntldr errror.. I had her go into bios, and check to make sure hard disk was the first boot device, and that her hard drive was listed.. No good..

So I sent a USB key yesterday.. should get there some time next week..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2009   #10
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
Sent her a USB key yesterday. There are 2 drives in the mix.. One with XP, one brand new.. I partitioned the new drive inside xp, such that it had one partition at 450gb, and another at 5 gb, this second containing the windows install files.. I then marked the second partition active on that drive.. Had her shut down the machine.. unplug the old hard drive to remove risk of overwriting her old data, and boot.. Unfortunately, I am getting ntldr errror.. I had her go into bios, and check to make sure hard disk was the first boot device, and that her hard drive was listed.. No good..

So I sent a USB key yesterday.. should get there some time next week..
The USB key should work.

The NTLDR is missing message is due to it's looking for the Master Boot Record and it's not on the new HD.

Have you tried to make a partition on the new HD at least 16GB expand the ISO there, then find the setup.exe file using a boot CD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Trying to install Win 7 on xp machine.. having trubs..




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Install 7 onto different machine?
Hi Everyone I'm about to receive a shiny new laptop. The only problem is it comes with Windows 8. Now i'm not necessarily against the change to windows 8, though I'm not a fan of it's new menu system that just seems to hide things in in-obvious places... Anyway... as a theoretical...
Installation & Setup
msi install to one machine but not to another
Having problems installing clockworkmod's "tether" to my laptop, getting errors. Installed to my to my windows 7 desktop no problem works great. When I run the TetherWindowsSetup.msi file, it starts to install but fails with these errors: Device node created. Install is complete when drivers...
Software
New Win 7 install on machine with Vista
New Win 7 install on machine with Vista - clean install Dell 1525 Inspiron It's asking where do you want to install. Disk 0 Part 1 OEM (Reserved) Disk 0 Part 2 Recovery Primary Disk 0 Part 3 OS System Disk 0 Part 4 Mediadirect Logical What do I want to...
Installation & Setup
Uninstall Win-7, Install on New Machine
Hi all, Is it possible for me to uninstall a (non-oem) Win-7 Ultimate 32-bit serial/product key so that I can use it on a install it onto a different machine INSTEAD of the one it's being used on now? Thanks in advance.
Installation & Setup
Install Windows 7 on another machine
I'll apologise in advance as I'm sure this must have been asked a thousand times before but I can't seem to locate a definite answer. How do I inform Microsoft that I've stopped using a computer with Windows 7 installed on it? I have Windows 7 Professional installed on my PC at the moment but it...
Installation & Setup
Can i install to this XP machine?
Added my report?! but i swear i've seen it should be possible to install on 512mb machines...please tell me if its worth it for my friend megan to buy her copy of win 7 ultimate, iknow i'm runnin 64bit but she will be getting the 32bit. I'm using a acer notebook aspire 3680....here r the specs...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App