Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Vista Home to Windows 7

15 Oct 2009   #1
gingerguy

Windows XP
 
 
Vista Home to Windows 7

Ok guys a real technophobe here my daughter has Vista home basic on her Dell Vostro 1400 laptop & service pack 1 will NOT install, I have spoken to Microsoft via a live chat & they took over the laptop & couldn't do it either , they seem to think that there are corrupt files causing the problem, I don't have the Vista CD, the lappy came pre-installed...................so what I would like to do is buy Windows 7 Home when it comes out in 'upgradeable' form, my daughter can get it cheap as she is a college student [around 35 i think here in the UK], anyway, is it possible to do a clean install with an upgrade version of 7, if so how do I do that OR do i need to purchase the full version of 7 ? Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2009   #2
mcleod55

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Link This might help. Info on Windows 7

And This one is the Vista Stand Alone Service Pack 1 download. It might install better this way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #3
gingerguy

Windows XP
 
 

Thanks very much 'mcleod55'.......when you say stand alone SP1, I once had a disc of SP1 that came free with a magazine & even that did NOT install SP1, i keep getting an error code I managed to get a relpy from a MS tech support person about the possibility of loading an update version of 7 onto a laptop that does not have SP1 & may have corrupt files, this was their answer, although I'm not sure:

Martin, I understand that you are trying to upgrade your Windows Vista Home Basic computer toWindows 7. Yes you can load Windows 7 Home [upgrade version] onto a laptop that does not have service pack 1 installed and may also have corrupt system files.

Please check out the following link to know about Windows 7 upgrade options:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx?ITPID=insider
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Oct 2009   #4
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gingerguy View Post
Ok guys a real technophobe here my daughter has Vista home basic on her Dell Vostro 1400 laptop & service pack 1 will NOT install, I have spoken to Microsoft via a live chat & they took over the laptop & couldn't do it either , they seem to think that there are corrupt files causing the problem, I don't have the Vista CD, the lappy came pre-installed...................so what I would like to do is buy Windows 7 Home when it comes out in 'upgradeable' form, my daughter can get it cheap as she is a college student [around 35 i think here in the UK], anyway, is it possible to do a clean install with an upgrade version of 7, if so how do I do that OR do i need to purchase the full version of 7 ? Thanks
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gingerguy View Post
Thanks very much 'mcleod55'.......when you say stand alone SP1, I once had a disc of SP1 that came free with a magazine & even that did NOT install SP1, i keep getting an error code I managed to get a relpy from a MS tech support person about the possibility of loading an update version of 7 onto a laptop that does not have SP1 & may have corrupt files, this was their answer, although I'm not sure:

Martin, I understand that you are trying to upgrade your Windows Vista Home Basic computer toWindows 7. Yes you can load Windows 7 Home [upgrade version] onto a laptop that does not have service pack 1 installed and may also have corrupt system files.

Please check out the following link to know about Windows 7 upgrade options:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx?ITPID=insider

First, nobody knows for sure until the upgrade disks are delivered, but, I've read on the MS site that Vista must have SP1 or SP2 before the Win7 upgrade DVD can be used to install. We'll see when it comes out.

To do an upgrade install, have a look at this tutorial:

Upgrade Install with Windows 7

Notice step #8:
8. Click on the Upgrade option. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: Choose Custom if you want to do a clean install and completely replace your current operating system.

Good Luck, let us know if you have any questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #5
gingerguy

Windows XP
 
 

I've read that too Dave about SP1 etc, thanks for the links by the way , I didn't know that you could do a clean install with an upgrade disk [told you I was a technofobe] thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #6
mcleod55

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gingerguy View Post
Thanks very much 'mcleod55'.......when you say stand alone SP1, I once had a disc of SP1 that came free with a magazine & even that did NOT install SP1, i keep getting an error code I managed to get a relpy from a MS tech support person about the possibility of loading an update version of 7 onto a laptop that does not have SP1 & may have corrupt files, this was their answer, although I'm not sure:

Martin, I understand that you are trying to upgrade your Windows Vista Home Basic computer toWindows 7. Yes you can load Windows 7 Home [upgrade version] onto a laptop that does not have service pack 1 installed and may also have corrupt system files.

Please check out the following link to know about Windows 7 upgrade options:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx?ITPID=insider
I kept getting an error on one of the service packs (can't remember which) but I downloaded a few of the files at a time until it finally showed that the service pack was installed. It took a little bit longer but it did get the job done. Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2009   #7
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gingerguy View Post
I've read that too Dave about SP1 etc, thanks for the links by the way , I didn't know that you could do a clean install with an upgrade disk [told you I was a technofobe] thanks again.
Your welcome

mcleod55's suggestion, D/L the Vista Stand Alone Service Pack 1, is a good one, this will help if you have to make a couple attempts at it.

I had a hard time installing Vista SP2, turned out it wouldn't work because I had V-Lite on my computer. Deleted it and remove the registry key and it worked. Guess MS doesn't like that one.

If you need any other installation tutorials there's a list of them:
Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7

Good luck, let us know if you have any more questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2009   #8
gingerguy

Windows XP
 
 

Thanks very much guys, Ill give the suggested stand alone SP1 a try & will report back
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2009   #9
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gingerguy View Post
Thanks very much guys, Ill give the suggested stand alone SP1 a try & will report back
Good luck,

Let us know how it goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Vista Home to Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Vista 64 Home upgrade to W7 Home 32
I bought a garage sale gateway gm 5664, that is really a media center PC. I would like to upgrade it to Windows 7 Home Basic 32 bit (Its the retail disc I have and has not been used or activated). I know its usually the other way around upgrading from a 32 bit to a 64 bit system, but I prefer...
Installation & Setup
Home Network help!!! New to windows 7 and HATE vista!
New to the site as of today, new to windows 7, please go easy on me as i fear most of you will think I'm an idiot. I have a wired/wireless network at home meaning...I have a desk top pc with a wired connection to my modem/router, and then I have a wireless laptop, and my sons android tablet,...
Network & Sharing
Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional???
My laptop has Windows Visa Home Premium installed and I need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. What path can I take to upgrade it without losing my settings (i.e. user acccounts, background, etc.)
Installation & Setup
OEM Windows 7 Home Premium x64 act on 1 PC, use for old x32 vista too?
Hey all These forums are gnarly in-depth. Love it. Anyway, I have the OEM win 7 x64 on this (my main) comp, and have my old Acer notebook just sitting there with nothing on it except the basic Vista Home Premium x32 on it. I finally just left the thing blank after I did the fifth or sixth Vista...
General Discussion
Windows Vista Home Basic
Over thanksgiving, i was called in to help my aunt's Thinkpad connect to the printer. She mentioned that she'd like windows 7 so i helped her get Windows Ultimate Steal using her .edu email address. It downloaded well, and we opened up the setup file. I was just leaving, so i told her to click...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 and Vista Home Premium
Hi, this is my first post for this forum as I installed windows 7 for the first time last night, on a dual boot :D I would like to know if its possible to use the programs I have previously installed on Vista on windows 7.. is there a way to port them to windows 7? I have three partitions on...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:26.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App