Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Whats needed to switch to 64bit?

15 Oct 2009   #1
Rosco997

Windows 7
 
 
Whats needed to switch to 64bit?

So I just found out that my Core 2 Duo supports 64bit, and Ive done the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor thing, and aperantly I pass.
But from personal experiences, what are the minimum requirements to run a 64bit version of windows 7????


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rosco997 View Post
So I just found out that my Core 2 Duo supports 64bit, and Ive done the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor thing, and aperantly I pass.
But from personal experiences, what are the minimum requirements to run a 64bit version of windows 7????
win 7 64bit loves memory. the more you throw at it the better it likes it. MS says minimum 2gigs ram. I would say 4 minimum, 8 if you can afford it.

Hd 64 bit needs a bit more so abt 30 gigs for the OS partition

Video 512mb or more if you can to run aero and games.

hope this helps


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #3
Antman

 

The minimum requirements to install Windows 7 are as follows:
  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Oct 2009   #4
Rosco997

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rosco997 View Post
So I just found out that my Core 2 Duo supports 64bit, and Ive done the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor thing, and aperantly I pass.
But from personal experiences, what are the minimum requirements to run a 64bit version of windows 7????
win 7 64bit loves memory. the more you throw at it the better it likes it. MS says minimum 2gigs ram. I would say 4 minimum, 8 if you can afford it.

Hd 64 bit needs a bit more so abt 30 gigs for the OS partition

Video 512mb or more if you can to run aero and games.

hope this helps


Ken
Well then, I guesss I wont install 64bit then, being that this is a laptop with only 2gb ram =(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #5
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Windows 64-bit will run fine in less than 2GB of RAM. But it does take some tweaking.

However there are not many benefits to running it in less than 4GB of RAM. In fact the disadvantages would likely outweigh the advantages...so, yeah I am going to say stick with 32-bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #6
Rosco997

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Windows 64-bit will run fine in less than 2GB of RAM. But it does take some tweaking.

However there are not many benefits to running it in less than 4GB of RAM. The disadvantages probably outweigh the advantages...so, yeah I am going to say stick with 32-bit.
Yeah, well I got both version for free (the party thing). And i dont think I can upgrade the RAM on my laptop, im pretty sure 2 gig is the max, otherwise id go for the 4gig at least.
well thansk everyone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #7
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rosco997 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Windows 64-bit will run fine in less than 2GB of RAM. But it does take some tweaking.

However there are not many benefits to running it in less than 4GB of RAM. The disadvantages probably outweigh the advantages...so, yeah I am going to say stick with 32-bit.
Yeah, well I got both version for free (the party thing). And i dont think I can upgrade the RAM on my laptop, im pretty sure 2 gig is the max, otherwise id go for the 4gig at least.
well thansk everyone.
Have you searched the specs on your laptop motherboard to see what maximum memory it can have ? Make & Model ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2009   #8
Rosco997

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rosco997 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Windows 64-bit will run fine in less than 2GB of RAM. But it does take some tweaking.

However there are not many benefits to running it in less than 4GB of RAM. The disadvantages probably outweigh the advantages...so, yeah I am going to say stick with 32-bit.
Yeah, well I got both version for free (the party thing). And i dont think I can upgrade the RAM on my laptop, im pretty sure 2 gig is the max, otherwise id go for the 4gig at least.
well thansk everyone.
Have you searched the specs on your laptop motherboard to see what maximum memory it can have ? Make & Model ?
HP DV2550se, and aperantly it supports 4gig of ram, yet there is no way to upgrade the video chip..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2009   #9
Perrybucsdad

Win 7 Ultimate x64 & x86
 
 

You can always turn Aero off. I don't like it myself, so it is off on my setup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Whats needed to switch to 64bit?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
uxtheme.dll 64Bit Windows 7 Needed
Hi, I recently tried to patch the theme files and lost the original and corrupted everything, now my computer cant even startup. What I'm looking for now is the following files from Windows 7 64Bit (Preferred Ultimate Edition): uxtheme.dll themeservice.dll themeui.dll
Customization
BSOD - help needed - Win7 (64bit)
Hi Can anyone help? I keep getting Blue Screen of Death on Windows7 64bit. Here is my hardware spec. Motherboard: Intel DP55WB (MA TX) Processor: Intel Core I5 750 2.66GHz
BSOD Help and Support
WG121 Netgear 64bit driver Needed
hi i have a WG121 Netgear Wireless Adapter 54Mbps, the driver for it works flawlessly on Windows 7 32 Bit, however i am very keen to try out the 64 bit, but when i installed it, the adapter did not work, i was wondering if any of you people know a driver i can use for it on 64 bit. it would be...
Drivers
Switch to 64bit. My system has two hard drives.
I have an HP Quad Core computer that came with two hard drives. I installed Windows 7 32 bit a year ago. The disk also came with a 64 bit version but the upgrade required a clean install. If I decide to install the 64 bit version, do I lose everything on both drives?
General Discussion
uxtheme.dll 64Bit Windows 7 Needed.
Hi, I recently tried to patch the theme files and lost the original and corrupted everything, now my computer cant even startup. What I'm looking for now is the following files from Windows 7 64Bit (Prefered Ultimate Edition): uxtheme.dll themeservice.dll themeui.dll
BSOD Help and Support
whats the latest 64bit built?
i want following for a while. im on 7057 though ill upgrade whats the latest 64 built out there? is there new one comming really soon?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App