Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Old OS useable after Windows 7 upgrade?

16 Oct 2009   #1
Leonw43

Windows 7
 
 
Old OS useable after Windows 7 upgrade?

Hi, I was wondering if for instance, I was upgrading from windows XP, to Windows 7, with the upgrade edition, would I then be able to use my old XP disc to install it onto another PC? I'm building a new PC soon and I want to be able to install my old copy of XP onto an old PC.
Any help would be great, thanks

Leon


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Oct 2009   #2
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leonw43 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if for instance, I was upgrading from windows XP, to Windows 7, with the upgrade edition, would I then be able to use my old XP disc to install it onto another PC? I'm building a new PC soon and I want to be able to install my old copy of XP onto an old PC.
Any help would be great, thanks

Leon
The XP key will not be usable, it will be tied to the new Win7 key.

Only way around that is to get a full version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #3
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

Once you use the upgrade disk to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP your XP licence is invalid - If you wish to re-use your XP licence you will need a full licence for Windows 7

Edit

Hi Dave - Snap
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Oct 2009   #4
Leonw43

Windows 7
 
 

Wow that sucks. guess i'll have to just get an OEM.
Thanks for the help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #5
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leonw43 View Post
Wow that sucks. guess i'll have to just get an OEM.
Thanks for the help
Sorry about the bad news,





Edit:
Nigel, gotta be quick
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #6
AlanHoward

Windows xp
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leonw43 View Post
Wow that sucks. guess i'll have to just get an OEM.
Thanks for the help
To do something similar to what you want to do:
I saved the hard drive from my wife's old Dell XP computer which we junked. I'll try to clone that to my new computer's hard drive and upgrade that! Hopefully it will work and leave the old XP license working. So you might ask about and find a friend that has a XP computer they are replacing with a new one with Win 7. (You probably don't even have to extract the hard drive -- there are several cloning programs around some free.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2009   #7
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanHoward View Post
Hopefully it will work and leave the old XP license working.

You probably don't even have to extract the hard drive -- there are several cloning programs around some free.
Doesn't Windows deactivate itself and require re-validation when it finds a bunch of new hardware?

You should report back after you tried it, not before
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2009   #8
AlanHoward

Windows xp
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanHoward View Post
Hopefully it will work and leave the old XP license working.

You probably don't even have to extract the hard drive -- there are several cloning programs around some free.
Doesn't Windows deactivate itself and require re-validation when it finds a bunch of new hardware?

You should report back after you tried it, not before
Not planning on booting from the old windows installation -- will boot from the DVD. Hopefully this will work. Can't try it yet as I have not yet gotten my pre-ordered upgrade disk.

cheers.

ah
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2009   #9
Mark Phelps

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanHoward View Post
To do something similar to what you want to do:
I saved the hard drive from my wife's old Dell XP computer which we junked. I'll try to clone that to my new computer's hard drive and upgrade that! Hopefully it will work and leave the old XP license working...
Since the Dell version is OEM and licensing is locked to the BIOS in the Dell PC, if you migrate that install to a non-Dell PC, at some point, it will deactivate itself. Whether it will do that on first reboot, or whether it will remain active long enough for you do to the Win 7 "upgrade", remains to be seen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2009   #10
AlanHoward

Windows xp
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanHoward View Post
To do something similar to what you want to do:
I saved the hard drive from my wife's old Dell XP computer which we junked. I'll try to clone that to my new computer's hard drive and upgrade that! Hopefully it will work and leave the old XP license working...
Since the Dell version is OEM and licensing is locked to the BIOS in the Dell PC, if you migrate that install to a non-Dell PC, at some point, it will deactivate itself. Whether it will do that on first reboot, or whether it will remain active long enough for you do to the Win 7 "upgrade", remains to be seen.
As I said in my previous message I am not going to boot from the Dell HD -- just have it there for the upgrade DVD to see. Will boot from the DVD. Hopefully that will work. If not - not <g>.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Old OS useable after Windows 7 upgrade?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can see 8gb in BIOS, but only 4 useable
Hi there, I've done some reading and apparently I need to enable 'memory remap feature' in BIOS, but I cannot see it anywhere in the BIOS. Please see photos/screeny attached and see if it makes any sense.. mobo: GA-P55A-UD3 8 X 2GB RAM
Hardware & Devices
Windows & x64 Says RAM 8gb (4gb useable). Hardware Reserved the rest
I got a new cpu intel core i7-870 for computer. I also replaced the heat sink, Anyhow now my computer still acknowledges the 8gb but says only 4gb is usable. In order to add new heatsink i took my pc apart and reattached the graphics and ram and everything else back to MOBO (yes correctly). The 4...
Performance & Maintenance
6 GB RAM (Only 4GB useable) - How do I solve this?
:mad: Okay so I know there are alot of threads on this but literally none of them have helped me resolve my problem. My windows 7 64 bit is showing that I have 6GB of ram (yet only 4gb useable)... I checked the 'resource monitor' and there is 2 gb reserved for something and I would like to know...
Performance & Maintenance
Useable RAM?
Hi People! I have just built myself a brand new system! It's got a nifty i5 CPU, a brand new Gigabyte motherboard and its got 8GB DDR3 RAM and I've Installed Windows Home Premium 32 bit! It's working perfectly....BUT (there's always a "but' isn't there?) BUT when you checkout the system...
General Discussion
RAM - useable
Question my computer has recently started showing my RAM as below: http://i55.tinypic.com/25pomlw.png 1.50gb useable, when 4GB is installed :confused:
Hardware & Devices
Useable Ram
I've noticed a few other threads on these boards dealing with the same issue. But I thought I'd just throw my scenario out there to see if anybody could help... When I first bought my Dell it came with 2 gigs of ram installed. I recently installed 2 more gigs, thinking that I would max out...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App