Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Vista Home Basic → Windows 7 (upgrade ripoff?)

12 Dec 2009   #21
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Juan Handed View Post
I also ordered two HP laptops in September and it was equipped with Vista Home Basic.I believed at the time that all Vista OSs were eligible for a free upgrade.I just went to the HP website to check on how to uprade to Windows 7 and my computer and product# is listed as eligible,but my Vista Home Basic makes it not eligible.

I was completely unaware of this.

I don't know who take this up with,HP or Microsoft? It seems like reading the posts above that VHB is indeed upgradable to 7.

The other question I have is...I have a dual core processor,what would I have to do to upgrade to the 64 bit OS ?
It is HP not wanting to let you upgrade...not Microsoft. Contact a HP agent and show them the proof from here

Second question: You just need to use the 64-bit media to install the 64-bit OS. BE ADVISED that you CAN'T upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS...you will have to do a clean installation


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Dec 2009   #22
Juan Handed

vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
It is HP not wanting to let you upgrade...not Microsoft. Contact a HP agent and show them the proof from here

Second question: You just need to use the 64-bit media to install the 64-bit OS. BE ADVISED that you CAN'T upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS...you will have to do a clean installation
Why would HP not allow the upgrade? Is there some kind of cost thing associated?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2009   #23
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Juan Handed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
It is HP not wanting to let you upgrade...not Microsoft. Contact a HP agent and show them the proof from here

Second question: You just need to use the 64-bit media to install the 64-bit OS. BE ADVISED that you CAN'T upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS...you will have to do a clean installation
Why would HP not allow the upgrade? Is there some kind of cost thing associated?
It costs HP less to allow only Home Premium or greater to upgrade...

Since you are coming from the back of the line (Vista Basic) they want you to buy Home Premium instead...

It could have also been a glitch with their website...contact HP support and get the final word from them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Dec 2009   #24
Juan Handed

vista
 
 

I contacted an HP rep(in India) and had a text chat this morning.It seems that HP(according to him) does not want to upgrade my Vista Home Basic for free.I informed him that Vista Home Basic was indeed in the Upgrade path for Windows7,and they seem to be aware of that,but still will not upgrade.

I will give HP a telephone call to try to get them to send me the upgrade kit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #25
Juan Handed

vista
 
 

From the search I have done it seems that is hopless to get Hewlett Packard to upgrade Vista Home Basic.Seems as all the manufacturers did the same with Basic.I wish I had paid attention at the time.

Since I have 2 laptops,I guess it make sense to get that Family pack.One laptop I gave to my friend's kid and I want them to have the same software in case I need to troubleshoot anything.Maybe I can do the install before Christmas.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #26
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Juan Handed View Post
From the search I have done it seems that is hopless to get Hewlett Packard to upgrade Vista Home Basic.Seems as all the manufacturers did the same with Basic.I wish I had paid attention at the time.

Since I have 2 laptops,I guess it make sense to get that Family pack.One laptop I gave to my friend's kid and I want them to have the same software in case I need to troubleshoot anything.Maybe I can do the install before Christmas.

bad news, I think the offer is no longer available

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/off...mily-pack.aspx

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #27
Juan Handed

vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pacinitaly View Post


bad news, I think the offer is no longer available

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/off...mily-pack.aspx


Well,I guess it's no Windows7 for us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #28
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

If you have students in the family/household, you can get 7 Home Premium or Pro for $30.

To get the Pro - make sure you select the bit which says you want to connect to your school's domain - that takes you to the the Pro order page.

Students get Windows 7 for $29.99 - Sweet Deal! Hurry - Get it Today


You need one license per machine, of course.

Hope it helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #29
Juan Handed

vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
If you have students in the family/household, you can get 7 Home Premium or Pro for $30.

To get the Pro - make sure you select the bit which says you want to connect to your school's domain - that takes you to the the Pro order page.

Students get Windows 7 for $29.99 - Sweet Deal! Hurry - Get it Today


You need one license per machine, of course.

Hope it helps.
College students,right?The kid has a ways to go yet.He'll have to wait for Windows 57.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #30
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

In the UK, school kids are also eligible, they just need a .sch email address.

I assume that is the case elsewhere.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Vista Home Basic → Windows 7 (upgrade ripoff?)




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
windows 7 home BASIC to windows 7 professional upgrade
I would like to upgrade one of our computer in the office which come with windows 7 home BASIC (not PREMIUM) to windows 7 professional. but i can't find the upgrade purchase option of this. I am finding the upgrade of home premium to professional but not of home Basic to professional can...
Installation & Setup
Fresh install from Windows Vista Home Basic
Hi, I have a HP Computer G3660d I would like to fresh install from the windows Home basic to Windows 7 Professional. Can this be done with just upgrading?
Installation & Setup
Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows 7 Ultimate
Will this work if i buy the Windows 7 Ultimate X86 Full version and clean install on my Desktop pc wich has Windows Vista Home Basic X86. :sarc::sarc::sarc:
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Pro Clean install from Vista Home Basic
So I decided to upgrade my desktop and have completely replaced all of the hardware, however that's irrelevant. I currently have Windows Vista Home Basic on the system but was offered a copy of Windows 7 Professional for $30 from my university and wanted to know if I could install a clean copy of...
Installation & Setup
Windows Vista Home Basic
Over thanksgiving, i was called in to help my aunt's Thinkpad connect to the printer. She mentioned that she'd like windows 7 so i helped her get Windows Ultimate Steal using her .edu email address. It downloaded well, and we opened up the setup file. I was just leaving, so i told her to click...
Installation & Setup
Unable to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista home basic
I am trying to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 ultimate RTM version but it doesn't complete the installation. It starts and when i click on the "Upgrade Version" it keeps doing a compatibility check and throws out an htm report (i can't see anything on the report) and ultimately stops the...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App