Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Doing a Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

12 Nov 2009   #211
Gilly Boy

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Please try this fix when doing a clean install using an upgrade DVD:

Start > Run > Regedit

"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE\MediaBootInstall" = "0" (DWORD)
Note: Dword value is one. Change it to Zero

Open an Elevated Command Prompt (Command Prompt as administraor)

Type cd \windows\system32

Hit Enter

Type cscript.exe slmgr.vbs rearm

Hit Enter

Reboot

Attempt to activate using the same product key


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Nov 2009   #212
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Welcome to seven forums Gilly Boy!

Here is the forum tutorial on performing a clean install with an upgrade dvd... https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...on.html?filter

There are several ways to accomplish this!

Oh yes, please fill in your system specs on the User CP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2009   #213
neely615

Snow Leopard, Win 7 RC, Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

I just downloaded the iso and made a DVD
ISO Downloads and Fixes for Windows 7 Student Download - Upgrade - Lifehacker
then installed and registered my upgrade after the install (versus during the install). of course I had a valid version beforehand, but still did a clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Nov 2009   #214
Maxkhoon

Microsoft Window 7 Home Premium
 
 

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation) - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

can this official website guide me through the window 7 clean installation=custom installation?
mine current conditions is

HAD AN UPGRADE DISC
OS IS WINDOW VISTA
64 HOME PREMIUM

I prefer a clean install as the experts said there're the best way and the only way to go. -->CLEAN INSTALL
thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2009   #215
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxkhoon View Post
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation) - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

can this official website guide me through the window 7 clean installation=custom installation?
mine current conditions is

HAD AN UPGRADE DISC
OS IS WINDOW VISTA
64 HOME PREMIUM

I prefer a clean install as the experts said there're the best way and the only way to go. -->CLEAN INSTALL
thanks again.
Yes, everything is covered there.

Boot from the installer, it will scan the hard drive to see the qualifying Vista, then use Custom>Advanced tools to wipe and format the Hard Drive for the cleanest possible install.

Make sure your files are backed up and program disks ready as there will be nothing saved, not even the windows.old file if you format the HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #216
Maxkhoon

Microsoft Window 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxkhoon View Post
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation) - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

can this official website guide me through the window 7 clean installation=custom installation?
mine current conditions is

HAD AN UPGRADE DISC
OS IS WINDOW VISTA
64 HOME PREMIUM

I prefer a clean install as the experts said there're the best way and the only way to go. -->CLEAN INSTALL
thanks again.
Yes, everything is covered there.

Boot from the installer, it will scan the hard drive to see the qualifying Vista, then use Custom>Advanced tools to wipe and format the Hard Drive for the cleanest possible install.

Make sure your files are backed up and program disks ready as there will be nothing saved, not even the windows.old file if you format the HDD.
thank you very much.
but my laptop comes with a partition named RECOVERY(D), should that be delete as well by the advance tool?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #217
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxkhoon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxkhoon View Post
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation) - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

can this official website guide me through the window 7 clean installation=custom installation?
mine current conditions is

HAD AN UPGRADE DISC
OS IS WINDOW VISTA 64 HOME PREMIUM

I prefer a clean install as the experts said there're the best way and the only way to go. -->CLEAN INSTALL
thanks again.
Yes, everything is covered there.

Boot from the installer, it will scan the hard drive to see the qualifying Vista, then use Custom>Advanced tools to wipe and format the Hard Drive for the cleanest possible install.

Make sure your files are backed up and program disks ready as there will be nothing saved, not even the windows.old file if you format the HDD.
thank you very much.
but my laptop comes with a partition named RECOVERY(D), should that be delete as well by the advance tool?
Most of theose recov partitions are not usable after installing a new OS. Consider making the recovery disks first so that you would have a way to reinstall Vista, then you can delete that partition safely as it is recreated by the recov disks.

Usually your tech support will provide those disks for just shipping cost; a new Acer within 90 days will send them free. Or you can wait until you would need to reinsdtall Vista anyway, which you wiill really never need to do unless you want to restore the machine to factory state for resale, or to get hardware serviced under warranty in rare cases.

A borrowed standard Vista install disk (not recovery) will also replace the Vista and auto-activate from the license on that machine.

All of this is moot if you create a Windows 7 backup image so that neither OS needs to be resinstalled ever again, just reimage your HDD or a replacement from backup in 15 minutes. Win7 Backup brings imaging to the masses for the first time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #218
zrtom

W8 Pro, W7 Ultimate, XP Pro x64, Vista x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxkhoon View Post

thank you very much.
but my laptop comes with a partition named RECOVERY(D), should that be delete as well by the advance tool?
You should fill in your system specs. If your computer is a Dell, you can always restore the Vista installation image as long as the D:\RECOVERY partition is still there. The partition does no harm and can restore your system the way it came from the Factory in minutes in case of warranty issues or other hardware troubleshooting.

You can boot from your Vista install disk, go to the command prompt, browse to D:\Tools and type "PCRestore" (without the quotes). Sometimes that doesn't work but you can always restore the Dell (assuming, again, that it's a Dell) Factory Image by booting the Vista disk again, going to the command prompt and typing:
imagex /apply D:\Dell\Image\Factory.wim 1 c:

Installing Windows 7 in no way removes the functionality of restoring the factory image; it is a Windows .wim image file and can always be restored to factory shipped condition by using imagex.exe

Here's some links to Dell Support and the Dell Community Forums where one of my posts is a "Verified Answer" and describes the different ways of performing the Dell Factory Image Restore.

Dell Media Direct 3.5 Install and want to make 4 partitions - DELL COMMUNITY (lists step-by-step restore procedures)
Dell - Support
Dell - Support
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #219
desichap

Windows 7
 
 

Hi,

would you be able to direct Me to get some 2 files cmdshell.cmd & FacImg.exe or can you upload it somewhere? I've rest of files shipped with My system but I'm missing these 2 files to create My own image.

your help would be highly appreciated!



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zrtom View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Thanks for the info zrtom,

I think everyone with a Dell (any OEM) should keep the recovery partition.

If for some reason you can't keep it on your HD then keep a backup image of it or burn it to DVD.
Your reasons for keeping it are valid.

Looking forward to reading the tutorial.
Can you extract the WIM file and run it?
Would you need the WAIK file (6001.18000...kb3aikl_en.iso) to do that?

Dell has a clause in the Hardware Warranty that you may have to install the original OS for hardware warranty issues.
Even if you dual boot just for the warranty issue, having them replace hardware would make the recovery partition worth keeping.
Thanks Dave,
The Tools folder in Dell recovery partitions has everything you need, including imagex, to mount the factory image. None of this is "disabled" by installing Windows 7, only the WinRE option to run PCRestore.exe (that's why it has to be done manually).
Attachment 33333


I've even gone as far as doing this:
  • Custom (clean) install the Operating System (Vista, W7, it doesn't matter).
  • Add tweaks
  • Add software (whatever... Adobe PS, Office, AV, Sling Player, etc., etc.)
  • Use the tool FacImg.exe to capture the new system and replace the file Factory.wim in the D:\RECOVERY\Image\ folder with my custom image. (The Dell tool FacImg.exe isn't part of the regular Tools folder..... I "obtained" it)
I did that more before I switched to Vista Ultimate and, now, W7 Ultimate with it's own imaging. What I don't have and need to get my hands on is a copy of the Tools folder from someone who has Vista (or now W7) x64 'cause I only have 32-bit tools and I no longer use 32-bit OS's. I can still do this process, only not with FacImg.exe; I have to use imagex x64 from the WAIK.

So, anyway, I should be writing a tutorial and not this....LOL
Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #220
wee

XP/W7/Lucid/Arch
 
 

I did a student upgrade clean install as the pro version wouldn't upgrade XP and the key verified. But when I called MS to have there help with removing the recovery partition there was no problem, but the main XP couldn't be removed W7 had used it for the 100Mib booting file since it was a running XP upgrade. So the MS tech said misinformed I might say that since they key worked once I could just overwrite the disc and the key would work not so. I cracked it with Pauls site info and called MS to close my case and was informed that even though I had all my ducks in a row with licensing that cracking the key made it not a legal verification. But since I had a record of XP ownership and due diligence in following MS protocol except for the crack they were happy to let me install while on the phone and crack the key in for me. So let the story be don't crack the key when you don't need to MS will help you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Doing a Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
How to Do a Clean Install with an Upgrade Windows 7 Version This will show you how to do a Clean Install using a retail Upgrade Windows 7 installation disc. Remember that you need to legally own a valid qualifying previous version of Windows to use a Upgrade Windows 7, and to stop using...
Tutorials
Clean install with upgrade version without windows.old file?
Hi is there anyway i can do this? also i dont know how to do it from the bios can you help me? i also want to make sure there are no traces of vista and all data is gone. additional informartion: toshiba satellite a500 4gb ram 500gb hd
Installation & Setup
Upgrade version vs clean install version
I need to know if I can use a clean install disk for Windows 7 Ultimate to upgrade from Vista or if I have to use an Upgrade version? I'm leaning towards buying the clean install disk so that if I should loose the hard drive at some future point I could just clean install Win 7 Ultimate from...
Installation & Setup
Can You Do A Clean Install Using A Upgrade Version of 7
My question is Can You Do A Custom Clean Install Using A Upgrade Version of Windows 7? I already have a valid OS installed on the hard drive. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium right now. I am wondering if I can do a custom clean install of Windows 7 from an upgrade disk of Windows 7 Home...
Installation & Setup
UPGRADE version: Can you a do a 'clean' install
With VISTA, you could not install a fresh copy, you needed to upgrade your existing OS. (unlike XP, 2000, etc.) Did this change with 7? Can you do a clean install from an upgrade 7 DVD? Thanks!
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App