Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Reformat gone bad - please help

13 Jan 2014   #381
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I'd like to interject some info on the Ethernet cables. They aren't all equal. Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, etc. Basically the all have wires and a RJ45 connector on each end. The difference is how the wires are twisted inside the outer jacket. Each version had different pairs that are twisted together, some are shielded with foil on these pairs. This is to reduce cross-talk or RF (Radio Frequency) interferences within the cable.

These differences may be why the TiVo cable didn't function -OR - it was bad somewhere.

Back to you Bill.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jan 2014   #382
arayfo1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Okay, will do.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
There are a lot of updates after a fresh install.

Do NOT check for updates again unless you can keep the cable for a few hours.

Let these 16 finish and then disconnect the cable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #383
gregrocker

 

I hope I won't get in trouble for posting (Rayda just texted she's staying out for that reason) but you asked earlier where Optional Updates are found and no one has answered you even though you're running WIndows Updates now and most drivers would be under Optional. So choose all Optional Updates except Bingware.

This is clearly stated in the tutorials and every post I've made about running all Updates as the first thing you do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2014   #384
arayfo1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks, Britton. So, if I run out and buy an ethernet cable for this Win7 machine what type should I use?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
I'd like to interject some info on the Ethernet cables. They aren't all equal. Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, etc. Basically the all have wires and a RJ45 connector on each end. The difference is how the wires are twisted inside the outer jacket. Each version had different pairs that are twisted together, some are shielded with foil on these pairs. This is to reduce cross-talk or RF (Radio Frequency) interferences within the cable.

These differences may be why the TiVo cable didn't function -OR - it was bad somewhere.

Back to you Bill.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #385
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Good point Gary.

arayfo1: When you buy the spare cable, tell the store that you are connecting a Pc to a Cavle modem. They'll help you buy the correct cable. since it will be for "emergency" use only, you don't need the Rolls-Royce of cables - but you don't want a bargain basement cable either. Buy one, take it home, test it. If it works, it will again work when you need it. If it doesn't work, take it back and tell teh store "I think you sold me the wrong cable"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #386
arayfo1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Okay, good. I think I can use this ethernet for at least a few hours. Should I try to install updates as Greg suggested? I'm not sure 2xg is aware you were only taking the lead while she was away, or am I missing something? I know she has limited time to spare, but still I would like to welcome her input.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Good point Gary.

arayfo1: When you buy the spare cable, tell the store that you are connecting a Pc to a Cavle modem. They'll help you buy the correct cable. since it will be for "emergency" use only, you don't need the Rolls-Royce of cables - but you don't want a bargain basement cable either. Buy one, take it home, test it. If it works, it will again work when you need it. If it doesn't work, take it back and tell teh store "I think you sold me the wrong cable"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #387
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Most any CAT5e cable will work here. CAT6 is fine but they charge more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #388
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

one step program

Nah, you won't get in trouble. I'll keep posting one step program if you need a reminder, though.
It's now one of post templates along with the Do Not Disturb sign

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I hope I won't get in trouble for posting (Rayda just texted she's staying out for that reason) but you asked earlier where Optional Updates are found and no one has answered you even though you're running WIndows Updates now and most drivers would be under Optional. So choose all Optional Updates except Bingware.

This is clearly stated in the tutorials and every post I've made about running all Updates as the first thing you do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #389
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

How we doing on those 16 updates?


How's your Step Dad - waiting for the cable?


edit: missed your post about using the cable.

But I still want to wait on any more WU.

In other words, do not check for updates this time.
Oh, you can skip disconnecting the cable too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #390
arayfo1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks, Britton.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Most any CAT5e cable will work here. CAT6 is fine but they charge more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Reformat gone bad - please help




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
A reformat may be possible
I made a Windows 7 x64 clean install disk to reformat my computer but I may have some issues that need to be clarified. I originally had a 600 GB hard disk on my acer laptop when I decided to install a SSD. I had a space on the bottom of the laptop for an extra hard drive. I decided to take out the...
General Discussion
Reformat help
I am trying to refomat my gateway laptop, I do not a a disk and overtime I try to burn the reformat imagine to a disk it fails. I cannot restore it either an error pops up. I have tried the boot menu and see where the option to reformat is but its not highlighted and I cannot click it. Is there...
Backup and Restore
There MUST be a way! EFS (after reformat)
Brink, a moderator on Vistax64, who I think contributes on here, has given endless amounts of awesome tutorials and workarounds. Kudos for the slipstream how-to. However, this one remains unsolved. I haven't tried his workaround, but am working on this third party app to solve the...
System Security
External crashed asks to reformat cannot reformat
I dont know if this is the right place but sounds right, My wd 1 tb my book has gone weird, yesterday it randomly popped up saying the drive needs to be formatted to be used. It already had 100 gb's worth of files on it. I tried reformating it but it said it failed. Now I cannot even get it to load...
Hardware & Devices
Reformat?
Hi, I just upgraded from Win 7 RC (Ultimate) to Win 7 Home Premium on a machine that originally came with Vista. I thought I had done a clean install, but I noticed there is only 16GB free on 70 GB C:drive. (D: drive is 70 GB also, and mostly free). Can that be right? A clean install shouldn't use...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App