Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: windows 7 installation cannot find drivers?

05 Nov 2009   #11
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Please don't edit the original post in the thread for anything other than grammar/spelling. Had I not skimmed the entire thread, I would not have known that you were able to upgrade another Vista computer.

Speaking of this other Vista computer - does it have the exact same hardware configuration as the problem computer?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Nov 2009   #12
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zarosath View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You need to load your SATA controller driver when it prompts for driver during install.

Start up your Vista, right click Computer>Manage>Device Manager. Choose your SATA controller driver tab, look at Details and it will show your the location of that driver. Copy it onto a USB flash driver or disk and load it when prompted by the Win7 installer.

If this fails then check your BIOS to see that the optical drive is set to SATA.

You can also try running the Installer from your Vista desktop instructing it to stay connected to the internet. If this works, then choose Custom install and install over your Vista. The difference is that it will put your Vista files in a windows.old folder for later access.
sorry, but unless i did it wrong it didnt work.. i copied the single file it said it was, put it on disk and tried to load it in but didn't work..
Download drivers from:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #13
SomeCallMeTim

Dual Boot Win XP / 64-bit Win7 Home
 
 

I had this same problems and could never find what driver it really needed--DVD drive, SATA controller, whatever. My DVD was hooked to a PCI SATA controller and I had a RAID array of hard drives connected to the the motherboard's SATA ports.

I was able to plug the DVD into the motherboard and install using one hard drive, but that wasn't what I wanted.

I resorted to the USB install, so that I could have the RAID array hooked up to the motherboard and that worked fine. It more trouble to do, but at least it worked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Nov 2009   #14
Rocketeer

Vista
 
 
Got it!

I was having the exact same trouble today when I tried to install W7. Tried a number of things...turns out, I just needed to boot the DVD from startup. So, if you haven't already, make an ISO out of the download, burn it to a DVD, put the DVD in the drive and restart. When it tells you to hit any button to load from CD, do so...and then go from there.

I'm positive it will work...only cause it did for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #15
Zarosath

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Please don't edit the original post in the thread for anything other than grammar/spelling. Had I not skimmed the entire thread, I would not have known that you were able to upgrade another Vista computer.

Speaking of this other Vista computer - does it have the exact same hardware configuration as the problem computer?
i do not know the stats or configuration of it, and i didnt upgrade i just got to what your supposed to on step 5 with the agreement, if you need i can find the configuration/hardware if i dont have to open her up, right now i'm going to bed though, i'll talk tomarrow.

and lol of course i boot off of the disk.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zarosath View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You need to load your SATA controller driver when it prompts for driver during install.

Start up your Vista, right click Computer>Manage>Device Manager. Choose your SATA controller driver tab, look at Details and it will show your the location of that driver. Copy it onto a USB flash driver or disk and load it when prompted by the Win7 installer.

If this fails then check your BIOS to see that the optical drive is set to SATA.

You can also try running the Installer from your Vista desktop instructing it to stay connected to the internet. If this works, then choose Custom install and install over your Vista. The difference is that it will put your Vista files in a windows.old folder for later access.
sorry, but unless i did it wrong it didnt work.. i copied the single file it said it was, put it on disk and tried to load it in but didn't work..
Download drivers from:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101
put all of them on disk and put that in when it needs it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #16
gregrocker

 

Let's see what happens when you try to run the Install disk from your Vista desktop when the SATA driver is already loaded.

If it works you can proceed with a custom install which is clean enough in that it only leaves you with a windows.old folder where you can access your old files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #17
Zarosath

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Let's see what happens when you try to run the Install disk from your Vista desktop when the SATA driver is already loaded.

If it works you can proceed with a custom install which is clean enough in that it only leaves you with a windows.old folder where you can access your old files.
yeah, the problem is i'm trying to get 64 bit on my pc and my current system is 32 so it say's i have to put a clean install on there, which i can only do when it boots from the dvd.. is it easy to upgrade to vista 64 without paying? i dont mean torrent i mean can i get a free upgrade from 32 to 64 bit?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #18
gregrocker

 

You are entitled to either 64 or 32 bit versions with your Vista or Win7 license.

I would put the unzipped 64 bit SATA controller for your model on a disk or flash stick and browse to it to install when it reaches that point during 64 bit boot install.

Note that you will need to unzip it after downloading before putting it on the stick/disk, then keep browsing to the driver folders until the installer takes the driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #19
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I believe someone already mentioned trying a USB flash boot instead of the DVD. If not, you can create a bootable USB flash disk (4GB or larger), then copy all of the files from the DVD to the USB. Reboot, do whatever is necessary to boot from the USB (I can press F12 to get a one-time boot option and then select USB, YMMV), and see if you can install Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #20
Adrian

 

Hi Zarosath, I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Spent 3 days trying to install. Tried a full install, fnally resorted to an upgrade install. 7 would not recognise my dvd drive. Since you already have an os sitting on the system may I suggest you copy the dvd over to a partition on your boot drive: C:\PARTITION and run the installer from your hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 windows 7 installation cannot find drivers?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't find drivers during Windows 7 ultimate x64 installation?
Alright I'm trying to do a custom installation of windows 7 ultimate, after finding out my computer won't boot. But then it says there were no drivers found. Where do I find my drivers? There is only an X: (boot) drive as a system partition. I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 with an AMD A8 2.8 Ghz...
Installation & Setup
misplaced driver installation cd, where can i find win7 drivers?
I have lost my driver installation CD. My computer crashed earlier this week and am not sure what drivers I even need to reinstall so that I can reinstall the OS. Can somebody point me in the right direction?:o
Drivers
Windows can't find network drivers for installation
Evening all, I have just placed a 2nd hand mobo (ASRock M3A770DE) into my pc. It'ts running win 7 ultimate, all h/w is detected ok apart from the integrated network card, therefore i cannot connect to the router and onto the internet. Since win7 is not auto-detecting the integrated NIC, is their...
Drivers
windows 7 installation can not find DVD
I have seen a thread on this topic, old (312 days) and didn't report a clear solution. I intalled quite some time ago a Windows7 RC1 64 bit, which worked fine and honestly was not bad at all. Unfortunately I didn't use it for a while and now I discovered it expired, so I need a new clean...
Installation & Setup
Cant find HDD for Windows 7 installation...
I tried installing Fedora 13 64 bit OS with dual booting enabled on my Windows 7 Ultimate OS. The partitions were 257 GB dedicated entirely for Windows (C: Drive) and the remaining 50 GB was allocated for Fedora installation. I made grub as the default bootloader handler and completed the...
Installation & Setup
Can't find my hdd during windows installation
Hi there, I've been trying for around 6 hours today to get my new computer up and running, but I've run into a problem, my sata disk wont be located during the windows 7 installation. "No drives were found" I've turned on AHCI and I've downloaded drivers from Gigabyte's homepage, but I get the...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App