Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: new computer with Win 7

08 Nov 2009   #21
cf36

windows 7
 
 

Hi again
It doesn't seem to be asking to update Office 2007 anymore. I ran the sfc snannow and it siad there were no system irregularities (or something to that effect) so I assume it's okay. At least now I'm learning how to do some of these things so that if problems pop up in future I might have a slim chance of finding them.
thanks again for all of your help.
It's amazing how many programs want to run on your computer all of the time. I've disabled a lot of them- some like jucheck look for Java updates once a month but it still wants to run 24/7.
I'm assuming Quicktime is another that can be disbled from the start menu. It should start up whenever I require it, right? What about HP Assistant? It seems that all it is is a shill for selling stuff.
Carl


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Nov 2009   #22
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

In principle you can disable all startups. Just keep those that you really want - e.g. sidebar (if any). All the others will start when needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #23
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cf36 View Post
Hi again
It doesn't seem to be asking to update Office 2007 anymore. I ran the sfc snannow and it siad there were no system irregularities (or something to that effect) so I assume it's okay. At least now I'm learning how to do some of these things so that if problems pop up in future I might have a slim chance of finding them.
thanks again for all of your help.
It's amazing how many programs want to run on your computer all of the time. I've disabled a lot of them- some like jucheck look for Java updates once a month but it still wants to run 24/7.
I'm assuming Quicktime is another that can be disbled from the start menu. It should start up whenever I require it, right? What about HP Assistant? It seems that all it is is a shill for selling stuff.

I never reinstall any HP helper apps when I do a clean reinstall on HP's, and nothng is ever missed. Occasionally I browse the product download page to see if there are any more recent drivers or software updates, but Windows Updates in 7 seems to make HP updater redundant (if it ever works to begin with).
Carl
run msconfig and disable everything except your AV and MS entries, although some MS entries might be unneeded video controls (Google is your friend).

Adobe reader needs its updates turned off in General>Properties or it will turn them back on when you use .pdf. Java may similarly need properties adjusted tho I keep mine turned off in msconfig.

If you use WMP then you can take Quicktime out, as it is a bear to turn off updates and spy connections to mothership. I haven't let it in the door for years so don't remember exactly how.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Nov 2009   #24
carls2

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
...
Also run sfc /scannow and see if removing Ofc has corrupted system files beyond repair, which requires a simple Repair install (upgrade over top of 7) run from the desktop, or perhaps a clean reinstall which is the best antidote for bloat.
Thanks from a lurker. <g> But in the present context, how can one run a clean reinstall from HP restore disks? They appear to "restore" all the Norton, Office, etc. bloatware that was there originally.

Or are you saying bite the bullet and go out and buy a copy of Win 7?

(New user here: please excuse if breaking in like this is out of order.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #25
gregrocker

 

No need, borrow a copy of the Win7 DVD/flash installer from a friend. Since you have a license sticker on your computer for that version, you are entitled to reinstall it as you please. Google if you need to unlock all versions on the installer, then recreate an ISO to reburn.

Be aware that that license sticker is a batch sticker. If you want your exact key, run the Attachment 39527 to read the key from mobo, then skip the first installer prompt for key (uncheck box) and insert it later during activation at Computer>Properties. If it doesn't take it, insert batch key and do robocall with MS which will sort out the exact key by trading a series of numbers.

When you do a clean reinstall, you will have to seek out apps or specialized drivers (Win7 has most all of them in its installer and via Windows Updates) which came with computer on the model's Support downloads page. Get Adobe reader/flash and Java runtime and possibly their free (compatible) Ofc. suite at their websites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #26
carls2

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
No need, borrow a copy of the Win7 DVD/flash installer from a friend.
All the rest of your reply is super-useful information and it's clear. However, step uno (above) doesn't mean much to me (novice ! and first-time win7 user). What exactly is the DVD/flash installer disk ? (I hesitate to make the crack: what friend ? <g>)

If I buy a new copy of Win7, does that give me the DVD/flash installer ? Is it or would it be a separate disk or part of the main install package?

Please excuse the rather basic questions. It is beginning to look like buying a boxed copy of Win7 is my only hope to get the factory-installed copy cleaned up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #27
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carls2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
No need, borrow a copy of the Win7 DVD/flash installer from a friend.
All the rest of your reply is super-useful information and it's clear. However, step uno (above) doesn't mean much to me (novice ! and first-time win7 user). What exactly is the DVD/flash installer disk ? (I hesitate to make the crack: what friend ? <g>)

If I buy a new copy of Win7, does that give me the DVD/flash installer ? Is it or would it be a separate disk or part of the main install package?

Please excuse the rather basic questions. It is beginning to look like buying a boxed copy of Win7 is my only hope to get the factory-installed copy cleaned up.
Many using the forums know ways to get an installer. If you are talking about a bloated Windows 7 computer, then you have my sympathy because I am a clean install guy who cut my teeth learning to clean reinstall XP and especially bloated Vista. I got my Vista installer with a Gateway and it works on all other factory-installed machines to activate their license key too.

Windows 7 final RTM version is widely available on the internet to sample. That version would activate with a factory-installed OEM key. I'd hate to see you have to buy another key if you bought a Win7 machine, just because it's bloated, since you paid also for Win7.

The 7 installer is driver-complete with newer ones coming in on Windows Updates quickly. THis is because MS funded the partnership (WHQL) with manufacturers to develop drivers for Win7, so they have them first.

Other apps/drivers are available on your maker's Support Downloads page for your model. Some like Adobe flash/Reader and Java runtime are gotten from their sites. Java has a free office compatible with Ofc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #28
carls2

win 7
 
 

[QUOTE=gregrocker;421734][QUOTE=carls2;421701]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
No need, borrow a copy of the Win7 DVD/flash installer from a friend.
...
Please excuse the rather basic questions. It is beginning to look like buying a boxed copy of Win7 is my only hope to get the factory-installed copy cleaned up.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Many using the forums know ways to get an installer....
Searched - even used BING <g> - and couldn't find any such animal.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Windows 7 final RTM version is widely available on the internet to sample.
At least it used to be. Looks like they've all been cleaned up or packaged under different names.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Other apps/drivers are available on your maker's Support Downloads page for your model.
Good idea, but doesn't work for MSI and their A6000 Win7 computer. Nothing listed - not even that model computer ! Will salvage the drivers off the existing install.

So ....

Seem to have exhausted all options - those that lie within my evidently limited capabilities. Just bought Win7 retail.

But thanks for your help.

Carls
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 new computer with Win 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
computer literate person watching a newbie at work on the computer
Hope you all like this made me laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflmao: fa9DLxDtPtc
Chillout Room
Computer works fine at the computer shop, but at home the FPS is low
This is for a friend by the way. So he got a new gaming computer, he set it up at home and started playing Skyrim, the FPS was shit so he brought it to the shop. The professionals tested it and the fame rate there was fine. But then he brought it home and the frame rate turned shit. I made sure...
Gaming
Work Desktop computer on network to single home computer?
Hi, First post but I hope to be able to use this Forum to help get familiar with Windows 7. Im used to Windows XP but my Old HP Compaq Desktop Computer finally died. My Buddy gave me one of his Work Office computers that was on a Network system with 4 other computers. Im going to be using it for...
General Discussion
New computer build, works smooth but internet issues on sole computer
Hey people, sorry if the title is not very detailed or so, what I am having trouble with is my Download speed and browser speed Little backstory: I created a new build recently (tuesday) and i've been spending every night since then for hours on end trying to fix this issue, every other computer...
Network & Sharing
Occasional computer shutdown with computer still running, no signal
Good evening, I have a custom build, amd 8 core 16 gig ram..... Do not know what the problem is. Computer has been running fine for 6+ months. Now the computer occasionally shuts down, but the tower doesn't shut off. It stays on but my monitor says "no signal detected." I have to shut off...
General Discussion
Dell Computer PC will not load Windows install CD from computer crash
I have a two year old Dell PC with Windows 7. I got a virus in my computer that by phone and computer takeover Norton located in my MBR. When they cleaned it my computer will no longer boot up. Norton worked with me for three days on the problem but we were unable to fix the computer. I...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App