Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade ??

22 Sep 2015   #1
FredM8

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 
Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade ??

Does anyone know if the upgrade from home premium to ultimate is still available, and if it is how do I get it ?
I have looked at some prices around the net and they have shot up something awesome, plus it is no longer available via the upgrade option in windows cPanel


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Sep 2015   #2
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Are you looking to upgrade for then going to Win 10 Pro? If so go for Win 7 Pro instead and even if your not going to ten Pro is the highest version you should need anyways. Ultimate is a waste.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2015   #3
FredM8

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Yes, I am preparing to go to Win 10 in the future. I have no need for the multi language pack but the encryption option bit locker might prove useful. Did you say that Win 10 only goes up to enterprise ? Perhaps there will be an Ultimate version in the future so I may as well play safe. After all, why not ? If all future upgrades are going to be free I may as well close any possible gaps. Thanks for the info !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Sep 2015   #4
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

No, Ten only has home and pro. Enterprise will be for only huge volume licensed outfits. IF you want Ten Pro when you upgrade just upgrade to windows 7 professional. That is much cheaper than ultimate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2015   #5
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
No, Ten only has home and pro. Enterprise will be for only huge volume licensed outfits. IF you want Ten Pro when you upgrade just upgrade to windows 7 professional. That is much cheaper than ultimate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
The only reason for Ultimate to cost much more than Pro is it is available only from greedy speculators who have drastically jacked the price of Ultimate. Before M$ quit selling Retail copies, Ultimate cost only $20 more than Pro. Ultimate is necessary if one wants to use Bitlocker.

The main reason I advise against buying Ultimate now is most copies that are available are probably counterfeit. It is much safer to buy Pro from a reputable source, such as Newegg (in fact NewEgg is the only place I will buy software from other than the developer; Amazon and eBay are the last places I would buy any software from).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2015   #6
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
No, Ten only has home and pro. Enterprise will be for only huge volume licensed outfits. IF you want Ten Pro when you upgrade just upgrade to windows 7 professional. That is much cheaper than ultimate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
The only reason for Ultimate to cost much more than Pro is it is available only from greedy speculators who have drastically jacked the price of Ultimate. Before M$ quit selling Retail copies, Ultimate cost only $20 more than Pro. Ultimate is necessary if one wants to use Bitlocker.
But you can get ten pro from having 7 pro and ten pro supports bitlocker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2015   #7
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
No, Ten only has home and pro. Enterprise will be for only huge volume licensed outfits. IF you want Ten Pro when you upgrade just upgrade to windows 7 professional. That is much cheaper than ultimate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
The only reason for Ultimate to cost much more than Pro is it is available only from greedy speculators who have drastically jacked the price of Ultimate. Before M$ quit selling Retail copies, Ultimate cost only $20 more than Pro. Ultimate is necessary if one wants to use Bitlocker.
But you can get ten pro from having 7 pro and ten pro supports bitlocker.
True that. I was just pointing out the problems with buying Ultimate now and warning about dodgy copies being sold.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2015   #8
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

The only reason for Ultimate to cost much more than Pro is it is available only from greedy speculators who have drastically jacked the price of Ultimate. Before M$ quit selling Retail copies, Ultimate cost only $20 more than Pro. Ultimate is necessary if one wants to use Bitlocker.
But you can get ten pro from having 7 pro and ten pro supports bitlocker.
True that. I was just pointing out the problems with buying Ultimate now and warning about dodgy copies being sold.
Ah saw your post before you edited in the second part, that's exactly my train of thought as well its usually fake if it's even being sold now or super expensive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade ??




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium - Anytime Upgrade or reinstall?
I'm trying to find out the easiest way to go about upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) and what issues I might run into. I don't want to reinstall everything (Or anything if possible) so am looking for the easiest option to upgrade. Anytime upgrade...
Windows Updates & Activation
unable to upgrade from home premium to ultimate
My main PC has been running Home premium 64 bits for a few months successfully (activated and does updates) and I now want to upgrade it to Ultimate 64 bits. I ran MGADiag on the Home Premium system and it reported it was a retail version; Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):...
Installation & Setup
unable to upgrade from home premium to ultimate
Apologies...moved to more approapriate group.
Windows Updates & Activation
How can I upgrade from home premium to ultimate
I recently bought a new laptop which came installed with win 7 home premium. On my desktop machine that it is replacing I have win 7 ultimate installed. I want to transfer the ultimate license to the laptop but when I tried to perform an install from the W7 ultimate CD on the laptop I was...
Windows Updates & Activation
W7 Home Premium upgrade to Ultimate
If I wanted to upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium what do I need to do. Thanks
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App