Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: About to install W7 Professional

14 Nov 2009   #11
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
I'm totally new to W7 and about to install W7 Professional.

I'm very very cautious about what gets installed and get confused at the options during installation.

Automatic update fills me with dread as I've had a fair few good installs of OSs trashed by this features a few months into getting used to it. Prefer to wait for SP1 to arrive as that normally causes less damage.

AVG seems an OK virus protector but what is a rock solid firewall ? Zone Alarm doesn't seem to have a w7 offering yet.

Do I need any more 'protective' applications running as the the world and its dog will be trying to cook up virii, trojans etc

I just need a very very reliable platform and don't need the latest and great whizz upgrades.

Any thoughts very welcome !



Tim

Welcome to Seven Forums.

They do still issue SPs.

If you have any problem including installing updates you can use System Restore.

There is a good tutorial here System Restore How to Do a System Restore in Windows 7.

For Win7 installation you can look at these tutorials:

How to Use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Clean Installation with Windows 7

Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

The above tutorials are the minimum suggested reading before you do a Windows 7 installation. This Seven Forums link has a list of tutorials:
Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7

Let us know if you have any questions.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Nov 2009   #12
Bill037

Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
I'm totally new to W7 and about to install W7 Professional.

I'm very very cautious about what gets installed and get confused at the options during installation.

Automatic update fills me with dread as I've had a fair few good installs of OSs trashed by this features a few months into getting used to it. Prefer to wait for SP1 to arrive as that normally causes less damage.

AVG seems an OK virus protector but what is a rock solid firewall ? Zone Alarm doesn't seem to have a w7 offering yet.

Do I need any more 'protective' applications running as the the world and its dog will be trying to cook up virii, trojans etc

I just need a very very reliable platform and don't need the latest and great whizz upgrades.

Any thoughts very welcome !



Tim

Welcome to Seven Forums.

They do still issue SPs.

If you have any problem including installing updates you can use System Restore.

There is a good tutorial here System Restore How to Do a System Restore in Windows 7.

For Win7 installation you can look at these tutorials:

How to Use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Clean Installation with Windows 7

Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

The above tutorials are the minimum suggested reading before you do a Windows 7 installation. This Seven Forums link has a list of tutorials:
Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7

Let us know if you have any questions.
Just what I needed to know !

Many many thanks !

Lot of good reading there !

: )

Tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2009   #13
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Glad it helped.

Let us know if you have any questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Nov 2009   #14
gregrocker

 

Your skittishness brings back memories of early Vista. Windows 7 is a completely different OS, one which doesn't present the kind of problems that make someone understandably afraid of mere Updates.

The Firewall is perfectly optimized to work with the background Defender and a lightweight free AV app like Avast with zero impact on performance.

This is an OS which doesn't even hang or bog. There is absolutely nothing to fear. MS has hit it out of the park with Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #15
Bill037

Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Your skittishness brings back memories of early Vista. Windows 7 is a completely different OS, one which doesn't present the kind of problems that make someone understandably afraid of mere Updates.

The Firewall is perfectly optimized to work with the background Defender and a lightweight free AV app like Avast with zero impact on performance.

This is an OS which doesn't even hang or bog. There is absolutely nothing to fear. MS has hit it out of the park with Win7.
Its a 'systems' thing.

Generalising 'Updates' have a habit of bringing the entire system to its knees

All OSs have this nightmare hanging over there heads.

I worked on a mainframe using George 11 OS. It was brilliant,

George 111 was introduced and lasted under 24 hours before George 11 returned. It never came back on that mainframe. Another few hundred parallel experiences..

Yes, Microsoft have produced a good one here ! But trustworthy ? With every genius evil doer trying to plant trojans and virii ? Lets hope so

Yes I am skittish, lets call that very cautious? As an ex-Vista user this is a massive improvement. Why did Vista exist ? I never found an answer to that from the user end of the table.



Tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #16
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
Why did Vista exist ? I never found an answer to that from the user end of the table.



Tim
I think Vista existed as it did because they still thought then that Services need to be running to be quickly called upon.

They must have noticed that tech enthusiasts were flocking to Black Viper's site to do massive Service edits on Vista, so they came up with triggers to set almost every Service to manual. Quick triggers.

The kernel is also different, and after salvaging Vista from morbid obesity, most fixes went into Win7, as we see.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #17
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Your skittishness brings back memories of early Vista. Windows 7 is a completely different OS, one which doesn't present the kind of problems that make someone understandably afraid of mere Updates.

The Firewall is perfectly optimized to work with the background Defender and a lightweight free AV app like Avast with zero impact on performance.

This is an OS which doesn't even hang or bog. There is absolutely nothing to fear. MS has hit it out of the park with Win7.
Its a 'systems' thing.

Generalising 'Updates' have a habit of bringing the entire system to its knees

All OSs have this nightmare hanging over there heads.

I worked on a mainframe using George 11 OS. It was brilliant,

George 111 was introduced and lasted under 24 hours before George 11 returned. It never came back on that mainframe. Another few hundred parallel experiences..

Yes, Microsoft have produced a good one here ! But trustworthy ? With every genius evil doer trying to plant trojans and virii ? Lets hope so

Yes I am skittish, lets call that very cautious? As an ex-Vista user this is a massive improvement. Why did Vista exist ? I never found an answer to that from the user end of the table.



Tim
Vista existed as a vessel, a "bridge" to 7

At the end of the day remember...there would be no Windows 7 without Windows Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #18
Bill037

Vista
 
 

"Services", I never got into the innards of Vista so unsure what they are.

For me Vista is a bad memory best forgotten, like the Apple 111, the one before the Mac.

But very very interesting !

Many thanks for posting such interesting stuff !

: )))

Tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2009   #19
Bill037

Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Your skittishness brings back memories of early Vista. Windows 7 is a completely different OS, one which doesn't present the kind of problems that make someone understandably afraid of mere Updates.

The Firewall is perfectly optimized to work with the background Defender and a lightweight free AV app like Avast with zero impact on performance.

This is an OS which doesn't even hang or bog. There is absolutely nothing to fear. MS has hit it out of the park with Win7.


Versus



The question of which security setup to use is all subjective, but for an all in one av/firewall, ESET is hard to beat... great detection and a very good firewal

I'm confused ! Do I need ESET or is AVG enough ?



Tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2009   #20
Bill037

Vista
 
 

I took the plunge and popped W7 Pro onto a 250GB drive. I split the free space 50:50 between a Data drive and OS. I left updates running but will shut them off in about 3 months.

My imaging backup system is to bit clone the drive. Brutal perhaps as it takes no prisoners, but very very effective. Wonder if it'll winge when it spots its not on the original drive? Every 3 months seems effective period for this. Cheaper than Raid.

Protects against major drive crashes but not a motherboard meltdown.

So far so good !



Tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 About to install W7 Professional




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit pre-install questions.
Hi all! Over the next 2-3 days I will be upgrading my PC that I built back in 2007. I will be upgrading my CPU, adding 4Gig more RAM and a second 500G HDD that I will be installing Win 7 Professional 64-bit on. Well, I decided to brick-n-mortar my Win7 install purchase at the local Best...
Installation & Setup
Office 2010 Professional Plus won't install
Hello, I've just upgraded from vista to win7 ultimate and I've been encountering a number of problems... I've been trying to reinstall programs and they are not working. Like some aren't extracting correctly or most are saying "files are corrupted, re-download". Does that mean they are not...
Microsoft Office
Windows 7 Professional Clean Install on SDD
I have a new Hp Elitebook 8540p which has had a clean SSD. I am going to install windows 7 Professional and had a few questions about partitions and drivers etc. The first is whether I should partition the SSD for the Win 7 install and then use a second partition for data. Is there any...
Installation & Setup
Home Premium DVD for Professional install?
I have Home premium DVD and one unused professional edition key from digital river. Is there any way to use the home premium DVD for professional ed.installation?
Installation & Setup
Professional or Ultimate - which to install
Hi all as a technet suscriber I can finally get my hands on the RTM version. I'm still confused as to should I go for the Professional or Ultimate version. The Home premium is no good for me as I want to run both an IIS server and have remote RDP available (Home premium only allows you to have...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App