Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which one of the two Windows 7 partitions should be active?

04 Feb 2018   #1
DrGhobar

windows 7 ultimate, a 32bit and a 64bit
 
 
Which one of the two Windows 7 partitions should be active?

There are two installations of Windows 7 on two different partitions of a computer. Which partition should be active?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Feb 2018   #2
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

The PC boots from the active one so which one you want to boot too set that active
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2018   #3
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

On a legacy-MBR disk, BIOS take the boot process to a MBR on a disk that takes to a a partition that has a Boot Loader and is marked as active.
- Most OEM computers has a System partition (not M$ reserved) that has the boot loader and is marked as active. This partition has some OEM programs (like maintenance and Factory recover).
- If you have installed Win 7 on a disk, the boot loader is on C: drive / partition and is marked as active.

As you have two Win installations, only one will be marked as active (last installed).
If you want to dual boot, you have to modify the boot loader to add the second option.
Use easyBCD EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies (non comercial - Register - Download)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Feb 2018   #4
DrGhobar

windows 7 ultimate, a 32bit and a 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
On a legacy-MBR disk, BIOS take the boot process to a MBR on a disk that takes to a a partition that has a Boot Loader and is marked as active.
- Most OEM computers has a System partition (not M$ reserved) that has the boot loader and is marked as active. This partition has some OEM programs (like maintenance and Factory recover).
- If you have installed Win 7 on a disk, the boot loader is on C: drive / partition and is marked as active.

As you have two Win installations, only one will be marked as active (last installed).
If you want to dual boot, you have to modify the boot loader to add the second option.
Use easyBCD EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies (non comercial - Register - Download)
I had a dual boot with two Windows 7. I wanted to remove the older Windows 7 on C: partition. Hence I formatted partition C:. As a result booting into the newer Windows 7 became impossible too: when I started the laptop, the blinking cursor appeared and nothing else happened. In situation like this, EasyBCD cannot help because it is not bootable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2018   #5
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

The win 7 you deleted had the boot loader, that is why you can't boot on the remaining installed win 7.
Boot from the win 7 installation disk, go to repair - Boot repair.
The installation disk (32 or 64b) must be the same as the installed win 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2018   #6
DrGhobar

windows 7 ultimate, a 32bit and a 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
The win 7 you deleted had the boot loader, that is why you can't boot on the remaining installed win 7.
Boot from the win 7 installation disk, go to repair - Boot repair.
The installation disk (32 or 64b) must be the same as the installed win 7.
1. Boot repair of the installation disk, could not solve the problem.
2. Do you know of a bootable tool that can do what EasyBCD can do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2018   #7
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

How did you formatted C: partition?
Is the partition with the remaining Win 7 marked as active?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2018   #8
DrGhobar

windows 7 ultimate, a 32bit and a 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
How did you formatted C: partition?
Is the partition with the remaining Win 7 marked as active?
I formatted C: by bootable Minitool Partition Wizard.
Yes it was active.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2018   #9
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Did you delete the active partition?
Boot with bootable Minitool Partition Wizard and make the remaining Win 7 as active.
Then try to boot from the win 7 installation disk, go to repair - Boot repair.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2018   #10
DrGhobar

windows 7 ultimate, a 32bit and a 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
.
Do you know of a bootable tool that can do what EasyBCD does?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which one of the two Windows 7 partitions should be active?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Two active partitions on same drive?
I was working on a user's PC for a separate issue when I noticed something odd. She has a single 1TB drive with two partitions (C: and D:). Her user profile is on C: and that's where the windows install is but the computer would not let me delete the D: volume as it said it was active. can I simply...
Installation & Setup
Merging two active partitions
Hi everyone, My main windows (system) partition is out of space. I have another partition on the same disk that I would like to merge with. However, Windows Disk Management does not let me do that. Or maybe I do not know how to do it? Or maybe it can be done via 'diskpart'? Anyways, my...
Hardware & Devices
2 Active Partitions should one be set to...
2 Active Partitions should I set my "Reserved Partition" to Inactive even though it contains the Acronis Secure Zone or can I just leave it alone. By the way I don't know why it is set to active other than the fact that maybe it's because of the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager that allows me to...
General Discussion
2 Active Partitions
the problem with a lap with windows seven installed.and with stupid move i marked the C drive as Active from Administrative tools then reboot. and for sure got bootmgr is missing. then i thought if i can inactive it via PM8... but i got error 100 (knew lately that related to found 2 active...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+