Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cant boot from a USB even though it's in device manager

22 Mar 2018   #1
Ukdodger

Windows 7 home
 
 
Cant boot from a USB even though it's in device manager

I'm running W7 home on a Samsung RV510 laptop.

I have a HDD plugged into a USB port

I can see all the files and folders on the HDD.

It has a copy of W7 home on it and if I install it directly into the laptop it boots up fine.

But not from a USB

I've been into Bios, Put it at the top of the boot order disabled Legacy (SSD) OS and enabled USB (HDD) OS.

But it still boots into the SSD OS.

Also tried the other USB port.

Trolled the net for answers without success.

Anyone have any ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Mar 2018   #2
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

Your computer has to be set up to be able to boot from a USB ("external") device. There are two ways to do this:
  • As the computer is booting up, start tapping on the F10 key. You will soon get a boot menu, from which you can select "external device".
  • Go into the computer's setup. Go to the Boot Order. Make sure that "external device" is ahead of "hard drive" in the boot order. I suggest that you also put "CD/DVD" (or maybe "Optical Disk") ahead of "hard drive" in the boot order. Now, with the hard drive plugged in, boot the computer, and be watching for the message to "hit any key to boot from the external device" - it will show only for a second. When you see it, hit a key.
I always put external device and CD/DVD ahead of hard drive in my boot order, because there are occasions that I will want to boot from one of these devices, and this makes it easier to do so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2018   #3
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

Normally Windows 7 won't boot from external HD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Mar 2018   #4
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Please explain what you have on the external USB HDD.
Is a copy of Win7 installation disk? If so, how did you transfer it to the USB HDD?

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2018   #5
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

The running of any windows 7 installation over USB is specifically prohibited by Microsoft who hardcode this into the OS itself, There are some ways reportedly that that have been used in the past to allow this but this sort of hacking of the OS is in breach of the End user licence and so is not a matter for discussion here. The OS may run from an external enclosure if the enclosure is connected via an eSATA connection

You would also need a separate licence key for the OS loaded on the System itself and on the USB as you can only use a licence with a single install (there are specialist licences available that allows multiple use but these are not available to regular users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2018   #6
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

You can run newer versions of Windows from an external USB drive. Beginning with Windows 8.0, Enterprise versions of Windows had a feature called Windows To Go, which provided for this. (Also, Windows 10 Education version.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2018   #7
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
I always put external device and CD/DVD ahead of hard drive in my boot order, because there are occasions that I will want to boot from one of these devices, and this makes it easier to do so.
Strangely enough I used to do this in the good old days, but for many years now I always have my System drive as the first boot device, reason for this is that my way means that no unknown USB drive left in the USB ports either accidently or maliciously is able to boot and potentially unleash some malware payload

Unlikely maybe but safer is best :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2018   #8
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Strangely enough I used to do this in the good old days, but for many years now I always have my System drive as the first boot device, reason for this is that my way means that no unknown USB drive left in the USB ports either accidently or maliciously is able to boot and potentially unleash some malware payload

Unlikely maybe but safer is best :)
Sounds like a safe plan. Not sure why I don't do that; I tend to be very OCD about computer security.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2018   #9
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

There was a surge of USB and to a lesser extent Optical disk transferred malware, back in the late 20th and early 21st century, that took over from dodgy floppies and has since been replaced by the drivebys and email malware.

There was also the user based crapware, that I used this system to prevent. If the user could not boot from a CD, DVD, or USB stick then they could not do anything to the system, (the access was always tied down tightly once the user was logged in, with admin credentials required to access any external data
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2018   #10
Ukdodger

Windows 7 home
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
Your computer has to be set up to be able to boot from a USB ("external") device. There are two ways to do this:
  • As the computer is booting up, start tapping on the F10 key. You will soon get a boot menu, from which you can select "external device".
  • Go into the computer's setup. Go to the Boot Order. Make sure that "external device" is ahead of "hard drive" in the boot order. I suggest that you also put "CD/DVD" (or maybe "Optical Disk") ahead of "hard drive" in the boot order. Now, with the hard drive plugged in, boot the computer, and be watching for the message to "hit any key to boot from the external device" - it will show only for a second. When you see it, hit a key.
I always put external device and CD/DVD ahead of hard drive in my boot order, because there are occasions that I will want to boot from one of these devices, and this makes it easier to do so.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I dont have those options in my Bois which is accessible only though F2. Maybe you're referring an older W7 version. But thanks anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cant boot from a USB even though it's in device manager




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Base system device, core processors yellow triangle in device manager
Dell Vostro 1400, Core2Duo. Installed Windows 7 64 bit a year and a half ago. For those not familiar, the Vostro is not entirely compatible with 64 bit, so the drivers are a little hit and miss. Computer runs slow sometimes, has since the install. I don't think I've ever seen the yellow...
Hardware & Devices
External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer
Two of my USB external Hard drives, a Fantom 600 GB and a Western Digital My Book 500GB cannot be seen in My Computer. I can see them in Device Manager and that says that they are working properly and the drivers are up to Date. In Disk Manager the 2 external drives had a black bar unlike the...
Hardware & Devices
Unknown Device in Device Manager/Show Hidden Devices
I have a Toshiba laptop, model L505-ES5018. I had Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit installed on here, but decided to reformat my hard drive using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. After the reformat was finished, I ran Windows Update and it found several items to download and install for me. I noticed...
Drivers
Bluetooth device not in device manager, no hardware switch, Acer netbk
Model is Acer Aspire One D270. Internal bluetooth doesn't work. Nothing in device manager. Fn+F3 is meant to control it, but doesn't. May be because I've messed with some programs. Trying to re-install to factory settings. Any suggestions at all? thanks D:
Network & Sharing
Device Manager reports Unknown Device & explorer crash
How do i figure out what driver or even component windows wants software for when in the device manager under other devices it lists an unknown device and windows update cannot find anything. Oh and is it appropriate for me to use this topic to ask another question regarding explorer.exe as...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App