Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Win 7 Pro on New SSD - AHCI, Dual Boot and Other Questions

29 May 2018   #11
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

- As Samuria and I wrote, all needed drivers for installation should be on the Win 7 installation disk. But there will be some specific drivers, like LAN, sound etc drivers that you will need to install after the Windows installation. Don't worry, that isn't critical and it's easy to get installed.
- You didn't mention how much memory you have, but if it's less than 4G, install win 7 32. It will run better.
- Once you have your Win 7 running, with all drivers set, Updates installed, Windows activated, you have done the basic. If you going to have common programs (like Firefox) on both partitions, also install those programs.
- As IE is part of the OS, I strongly suggest you install IE 11 and all security updates related.
- To create a new partition, you will have to make some space for it. So you will have to shrink the existing partition with Windows Disk manager (C:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc) or with Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
- My suggestion is to make both Win 7 partition 85G. Create another partition with the remaining space to store data. Then you can access the data from both Win 7 installations.
- Once you created both 85G partitions, clone the fist Win 7 partition to the second partition. MiniTool Partition Free has a copy partition wizard.
You will have same installation on both partitions but you will only be able to boot the fist one. Use EasyBCD (EasyBCD 2.3 Download - TechSpot) to make it dual boot.

It's very important that, when you begin Win 7 installation, you disconnect ALL other disks from MB.
Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 May 2018   #12
MTL777

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
- As Samuria and I wrote, all needed drivers for installation should be on the Win 7 installation disk. But there will be some specific drivers, like LAN, sound etc drivers that you will need to install after the Windows installation. Don't worry, that isn't critical and it's easy to get installed.
- You didn't mention how much memory you have, but if it's less than 4G, install win 7 32. It will run better.
- Once you have your Win 7 running, with all drivers set, Updates installed, Windows activated, you have done the basic. If you going to have common programs (like Firefox) on both partitions, also install those programs.
- As IE is part of the OS, I strongly suggest you install IE 11 and all security updates related.
- To create a new partition, you will have to make some space for it. So you will have to shrink the existing partition with Windows Disk manager (C:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc) or with Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
- My suggestion is to make both Win 7 partition 85G. Create another partition with the remaining space to store data. Then you can access the data from both Win 7 installations.
- Once you created both 85G partitions, clone the fist Win 7 partition to the second partition. MiniTool Partition Free has a copy partition wizard.
You will have same installation on both partitions but you will only be able to boot the fist one. Use EasyBCD (EasyBCD 2.3 Download - TechSpot) to make it dual boot.

It's very important that, when you begin Win 7 installation, you disconnect ALL other disks from MB.
Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
Thank you so much! I have more questions.

I want to be sure... Do you think the Win 7 installer already has the AHCI driver and I don't need to point the installer to a driver disk having the AHCI driver during Win 7 installation? This seems to be the procedure recommended when installing RAID drivers (if you're using RAID) and I know now that the AHCI driver is found as one of the files in the RAID driver download from Asrock.

I just bought additional 4GB of RAM so I will have 8GB now.

I don't understand why I have to "shrink the existing partition". I have a 500GB SSD. Before installing Win 7, I will create a 100GB primary partition and then install Win 7 on that partition. Once all the basic installations are done, I will create a second 100GB partition and then clone the first partition to the second partition. So why do I need to shrink the first partition?

Now, after cloning, can I modify the size of the second partition? Why do the first and second partitions have to be the same size? I want the second partition to be larger than the first because I will be storing more data on the second partition.

What will happen if I still have other disks connected when I begin the Win 7 installation? I know to be careful to point the Win 7 installer to the correct disk where Win 7 should be installed, so does it matter if other disks are still connected or are you just suggesting this as an extra ounce of precaution?

Thanks again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2018   #13
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MTL777 View Post
Thank you so much! I have more questions.

I want to be sure... Do you think the Win 7 installer already has the AHCI driver and I don't need to point the installer to a driver disk having the AHCI driver during Win 7 installation? Yes, I think the win 7 installation disk will have the AHCI driver.
This seems to be the procedure recommended when installing RAID drivers (if you're using RAID) and I know now that the AHCI driver is found as one of the files in the RAID driver download from Asrock.

I just bought additional 4GB of RAM so I will have 8GB now. OK

I don't understand why I have to "shrink the existing partition". I have a 500GB SSD. Before installing Win 7, I will create a 100GB primary partition and then install Win 7 on that partition. Once all the basic installations are done, I will create a second 100GB partition and then clone the first partition to the second partition. So why do I need to shrink the first partition? If you create a 100G partition you wont need to shrink the partition.

Now, after cloning, can I modify the size of the second partition? Yes, you shrink the second partition and format the remaining space.
Why do the first and second partitions have to be the same size? They don't need to be the same size. But you wont need more than 85G each.
I want the second partition to be larger than the first because I will be storing more data on the second partition. As I suggested, use the remaining partition for data (500-85-85 =330G) and use this partition to store data from both win 7 installation.

What will happen if I still have other disks connected when I begin the Win 7 installation? I know to be careful to point the Win 7 installer to the correct disk where Win 7 should be installed, so does it matter if other disks are still connected or are you just suggesting this as an extra ounce of precaution?
Yes, it's for an extra ounce of precaution. Seen many people (also myself) that ended the installation in one disk and the boot loader on another.

Thanks again!
You're welcome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 May 2018   #14
MTL777

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

In my case, I won't have the system reserved partition (boot loader?) since I will create the primary partition on which I'm going to install Windows before I run the installation DVD. I just have to be careful to point the installation to install Windows on the primary partition that I created. So I guess it's alright if there are still other drives connected during the install as long as I'm careful, right?

Thank you so much for your detailed answers to all my questions! I really appreciate your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2018   #15
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Better be safe than sorry.
You don't need to take out the other drives. Just disconnect the power or SATA cables.

System reserved is on OEM computers. They have the boot loader, diagnostic, Factory recover and other programs.
On a clean install you don't create System reserved but it will create M$ reserved (120M). If you you create the partitions on another computer, you wont have the M$ reserved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2018   #16
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Did you succeed on installing Win 7 on your computer?
Give us a feedback.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2018   #17
MTL777

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Did you succeed on installing Win 7 on your computer?
Give us a feedback.
I haven't gotten to it yet. I got so busy at work and didn't have time. I'm still also gathering more information and getting updated software for all the apps that I'm going to install in Win 7, and I have so many apps to install. I'll let you know when I'm finally done with it.

BTW I got a reply from Asrock (manufacturer of my motherboard) to install/update the AMD All-In-1, Realtek HD Audio, LAN, and VGA drivers (from the set of drivers downloaded from their site) after running the Win 7 installation. They said these are the only drivers that I need to install/update. They're probably just trying to be certain, and maybe some of those drivers are already found on the Win 7 installer, but I guess it doesn't hurt to install/update them again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2018   #18
MTL777

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

I started installing Win 7 Pro 64-Bit. I'm stuck at installing update KB3125574. It tries to install but after some time it says The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows (KB3125574)

What should I do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2018   #19
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2018   #20
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi MTL777,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MTL777 View Post
I started installing Win 7 Pro 64-Bit. I'm stuck at installing update KB3125574. It tries to install but after some time it says The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows (KB3125574)

What should I do?
I gave you an answer to this question here: Help! Unable to Install Windows Update KB3125574

I hope this helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Win 7 Pro on New SSD - AHCI, Dual Boot and Other Questions




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual boot questions
I have a desk top that is running on windows 7. I have the operating system, programs and so on in partition c which is half of a 2 tb drive and all my images on the other half. I am going to fit a SSD to which I will install windows 7 and some key photography editing software only. I know I...
Installation & Setup
Various SSD dual-boot questions
Finally purchased an SSD with the intent to dual-boot this drive for separation of business and personal. As I really like Win7 I've decided to simply install it, along with all updates to it and hardware, on one partition. Will also install any apps that will be common to both partitions. When...
Installation & Setup
Can I dual boot with Win7 on an AHCI SSD and WinXP on an IDE SATA2?
Hey all, I have a SSD with Win7 Home Premium x64. To boot off it my bios needs to be in AHCI mode. I also have Windows XP Prof SP2 x84 on a Sata2 drive and too boot off of that I need to be in IDE mode. Is it possible to get a dual boot happening in this scenario?
Installation & Setup
A few questions about Dual Boot
I am considering dual-booting my Win 7 Pro laptop with Linux, but have a few questions. 1)Which distro would be the best? The laptops specs are: 2GHz T5750 C2D, 3GB RAM, GMA x3100. 2)How hard is dual boot to set up? I know I would need to install Linux on a seperate partition, do I just...
General Discussion
Some questions with dual boot
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I am currently having a dual boot with Windows 7 RTM and Windows XP 32 bit on 2 different hdd. I have the student discount 7 Pro CD coming in hopefully next week and I'm planning to install it over the RTM. I want to know if I do the custom install, will it mess...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+