Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc?

15 Jul 2018   #41
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

If you prefer there is a direct Microsoft option which should take you to a server near to you and allows you to choose the format you want.

It defaults to writing a USB stick but you can change this to .ISO if you prefer. When Given the option choose the option to create installer for another machine and choose the .ISO option

Download Windows 10


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jul 2018   #42
Vineet Garg

Windows 7 Ultimate x32 With Sp1 + Vista Ultimate x32 with Sp1 & Sp2 !!
 
 

Hi All,
Greets,
Mam,

1. Regular windows 10 iso includes both Pro and Home editions
Sir says it rightly. Actually when you would use it you will be offered the two choices.

2. My installed win 10 version is 1709 not 1803.
Go with the download. It's the latest version of your edition. That's all.

3.does that mean ill have to install windows 10 all over again ?
No, not at all. I am planning a system image of your present win 10 status. I planned to tell you a little about it today but unfortunately here was a major power failure ! Actually, when troubleshooting, installation media makes sure it works 100%. If anything goes wrong, we would be able to restore the present status within half an hour. Even for that we don't have to do much but the procedure takes time. System image procedure images system exactly and within half an hour you revert to the same status. I will mention it all.

Thanks & Regards. ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2018   #43
Amina Alomari

Windows 7 ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vineet Garg View Post
Hi All,
Greets,
Mam,

1. Regular windows 10 iso includes both Pro and Home editions
Sir says it rightly. Actually when you would use it you will be offered the two choices.

2. My installed win 10 version is 1709 not 1803.
Go with the download. It's the latest version of your edition. That's all.

3.does that mean ill have to install windows 10 all over again ?
No, not at all. I am planning a system image of your present win 10 status. I planned to tell you a little about it today but unfortunately here was a major power failure ! Actually, when troubleshooting, installation media makes sure it works 100%. If anything goes wrong, we would be able to restore the present status within half an hour. Even for that we don't have to do much but the procedure takes time. System image procedure images system exactly and within half an hour you revert to the same status. I will mention it all.

Thanks & Regards. ...

Thank you .
I am downloading it now but it will take time .. internet service here has been very slow lately due to political turmoil.
Hopefully it'll be done tomorrow..




Thanks alot for your explanation and forgive my lack of knowledge in technology.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2018   #44
Amina Alomari

Windows 7 ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
If you prefer there is a direct Microsoft option which should take you to a server near to you and allows you to choose the format you want.

It defaults to writing a USB stick but you can change this to .ISO if you prefer. When Given the option choose the option to create installer for another machine and choose the .ISO option

Download Windows 10

Thank you i checked it, no options were given regarding iso or usb but it doenloads fine directly.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2018   #45
Vineet Garg

Windows 7 Ultimate x32 With Sp1 + Vista Ultimate x32 with Sp1 & Sp2 !!
 
 

Hi All,
Greets,
Mam,

1. What's the exact name of the downloaded iso ? (SHA-1 changes as the version & edition changes). We need to check its integrity as there :
how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc? - Page 4 - Windows 7 Help Forums

2.should take you to a server near to you ( by sir Barman58 )
That seems to be the best part !

3. Creating & restoring System Image(s) is a very powerful troubleshooting tool. It solves 90% of all the possible problems. ( It can't undo BIOS changes). It takes your system to the exact state when the one was created within no time & effort ! Whenever one feels that his system is doing well, he should create a system image ! This way you may never need installing the OS again & again & doing all the toil to make it workable. Whenever you feel your system is not doing good, Pick a stable system image from the past and restore it.
Being a part of BackUp, its still a bit different than just backing up files. To say it more promptly : By default it actually backs up all the material ,'system & other files', that occupies space on the system crucial partitions. As it does so, Mam, It is advisable that all the files of personal interest/use, are moved from 'Win 10 C:' to the other partition on the same drive. It will make the whole process fast and resource effective. I mean the files that occupies space in the default folders of ' Documents, Downloads, Desktop, etc.'. All these folders land in C: and so increase the process times & space requirements. Don't touch system files :you would be always knowing what are the files of your personal interest & use ! For eg. the 4GB+ download, you made just now, would by default land in 'Downloads' which occupies space on C: and so increase the size of System Image by 4gb and so increases the procedure time.

Here it tells :Create System Image in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

[[ Let it go the way it goes, You have to just edit :
Select the location you want to save your system image to ( step 4 )
There you have to select a non system crucial partition of windows 7 drive ( Miscellaneous files). Make a note of it. That's it. ]]

Let us know.

Thanks & Regards. ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2018   #46
Amina Alomari

Windows 7 ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vineet Garg View Post
Hi All,
Greets,
Mam,

1. What's the exact name of the downloaded iso ? (SHA-1 changes as the version & edition changes). We need to check its integrity as there :
how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc? - Page 4 - Windows 7 Help Forums

2.should take you to a server near to you ( by sir Barman58 )
That seems to be the best part !

3. Creating & restoring System Image(s) is a very powerful troubleshooting tool. It solves 90% of all the possible problems. ( It can't undo BIOS changes). It takes your system to the exact state when the one was created within no time & effort ! Whenever one feels that his system is doing well, he should create a system image ! This way you may never need installing the OS again & again & doing all the toil to make it workable. Whenever you feel your system is not doing good, Pick a stable system image from the past and restore it.
Being a part of BackUp, its still a bit different than just backing up files. To say it more promptly : By default it actually backs up all the material ,'system & other files', that occupies space on the system crucial partitions. As it does so, Mam, It is advisable that all the files of personal interest/use, are moved from 'Win 10 C:' to the other partition on the same drive. It will make the whole process fast and resource effective. I mean the files that occupies space in the default folders of ' Documents, Downloads, Desktop, etc.'. All these folders land in C: and so increase the process times & space requirements. Don't touch system files :you would be always knowing what are the files of your personal interest & use ! For eg. the 4GB+ download, you made just now, would by default land in 'Downloads' which occupies space on C: and so increase the size of System Image by 4gb and so increases the procedure time.

Here it tells :Create System Image in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

[[ Let it go the way it goes, You have to just edit :
Select the location you want to save your system image to ( step 4 )
There you have to select a non system crucial partition of windows 7 drive ( Miscellaneous files). Make a note of it. That's it. ]]

Let us know.

Thanks & Regards. ...

Hello again,
1. I am still downloading unfortunately. As my download failed 3 times due to servicec errors.

2. I suppose i can make the system image before the download right? So ill work on it until the download is finished and report back to you.


Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2018   #47
Vineet Garg

Windows 7 Ultimate x32 With Sp1 + Vista Ultimate x32 with Sp1 & Sp2 !!
 
 

Hi,
Mam,

1) I suppose i can make the system image before the download right?
Rightly.

I am still downloading unfortunately. As my download failed 3 times due to servicec errors.

2) Did you ever make a recovery drive ? You were saying some CD or DVD, you also said that it is working and you used last month ? What's that ? How big is that ? What you used it for ? Can you reach system image restore from it ? Make sure you boot from it and reach to the listing of system image restore functionality ? Be careful ! Don't do anything !

If it's a recovery drive , after booting into it > (a). select the 'Recovery' menu item and press 'APPLY'.

how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc?-.jpg

(b). It will ask you to restart the pc and after restart you would find 'system image restore' functionality listed ! That's it !

how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc?-b-.jpg


3) When you just insert it & not boot into it, how it looks in disk management ? (The two old views !)

Let us know.

Thanks & Regards. ...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2018   #48
Amina Alomari

Windows 7 ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vineet Garg View Post
Hi,
Mam,

1) I suppose i can make the system image before the download right?
Rightly.

I am still downloading unfortunately. As my download failed 3 times due to servicec errors.

2) Did you ever make a recovery drive ? You were saying some CD or DVD, you also said that it is working and you used last month ? What's that ? How big is that ? What you used it for ? Can you reach system image restore from it ? Make sure you boot from it and reach to the listing of system image restore functionality ? Be careful ! Don't do anything !

If it's a recovery drive , after booting into it > (a). select the 'Recovery' menu item and press 'APPLY'.

Attachment 404525

(b). It will ask you to restart the pc and after restart you would find 'system image restore' functionality listed ! That's it !

Attachment 404526


3) When you just insert it & not boot into it, how it looks in disk management ? (The two old views !)

Let us know.

Thanks & Regards. ...

Hello,

No i dont have a recovery dvd. I have a win 10 installation dvd . I have never made a recovery before not on a dvd nor on my hdd.


And i have now all the 4 programs downloaded including win 10.iso and i will report to you tomorrow about the rest of your guidance steps.


Thank you so much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2018   #49
Amina Alomari

Windows 7 ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vineet Garg View Post
Hi All,
Greets,
Mam,

1. What's the exact name of the downloaded iso ? (SHA-1 changes as the version & edition changes). We need to check its integrity as there :
how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc? - Page 4 - Windows 7 Help Forums

2.should take you to a server near to you ( by sir Barman58 )
That seems to be the best part !

3. Creating & restoring System Image(s) is a very powerful troubleshooting tool. It solves 90% of all the possible problems. ( It can't undo BIOS changes). It takes your system to the exact state when the one was created within no time & effort ! Whenever one feels that his system is doing well, he should create a system image ! This way you may never need installing the OS again & again & doing all the toil to make it workable. Whenever you feel your system is not doing good, Pick a stable system image from the past and restore it.
Being a part of BackUp, its still a bit different than just backing up files. To say it more promptly : By default it actually backs up all the material ,'system & other files', that occupies space on the system crucial partitions. As it does so, Mam, It is advisable that all the files of personal interest/use, are moved from 'Win 10 C:' to the other partition on the same drive. It will make the whole process fast and resource effective. I mean the files that occupies space in the default folders of ' Documents, Downloads, Desktop, etc.'. All these folders land in C: and so increase the process times & space requirements. Don't touch system files :you would be always knowing what are the files of your personal interest & use ! For eg. the 4GB+ download, you made just now, would by default land in 'Downloads' which occupies space on C: and so increase the size of System Image by 4gb and so increases the procedure time.

Here it tells :Create System Image in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

[[ Let it go the way it goes, You have to just edit :
Select the location you want to save your system image to ( step 4 )
There you have to select a non system crucial partition of windows 7 drive ( Miscellaneous files). Make a note of it. That's it. ]]

Let us know.

Thanks & Regards. ...

Hello mr. Vineet Garg
Have a nice day.


Just to report.
1. I downloaded the 3 softwares you requested and win 10.iso
2. I compared the SHA-1 of the downloaded iso with the one in the website and they are identical.
3. I made a windows image back up as instructed.
4. I have a 16 gb flash usb drive availble for use.




Is that correct for now?


Thanks in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2018   #50
Vineet Garg

Windows 7 Ultimate x32 With Sp1 + Vista Ultimate x32 with Sp1 & Sp2 !!
 
 

Hi,
Mam,

1.Well done! Just place a copy of downloaded win 10 iso to 'win 7's non system crucial partition ( Miscellaneous )' as well.

2. Now we are going to prepare win 10 installation media on the pen drive using Rufus. Insert the pen drive & Backup/copy all the pen drive data,etc to a safe place as Rufus deletes all that ! Here we go :
(1) Place the Rufus portable executable in a folder (2) As you launch it, it asks for checking for the latest version > turn it down! ( we have recently downloaded the app and it's new, stable & enough )

how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc?-rufus_en.png

This image is just for reference. Need not follow it or get confused! Follow instructions as below only :

(3) Select the pen drive in the 'Device' menu, (4)click 'SELECT', browse to the win 10 iso and double click it (somethings change & iso name will appear in the 'Boot selection' window), (5) Choose 'Partition scheme' as GPT & 'Target system' as UEFI ( it may be chosen automatically but make sure ! ) (6) need not change any thing else, (7) press 'START' ( copying iso files, finally READY ) (8) close the rufus window, it's done!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 how to make os option menu appear in a dual boot pc?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No CD/DVD/USB Option(s) In The Boot Menu
UPDATE After locating a BIOS update from HP's website and applying it, the option now properly shows in the Boot Manager. Up until this afternoon I was unable to figure out what exact model numer of this laptop was. I know this fix was the very first thing I should have checked. Just wanted to...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot issues, changing default boot option
I am dual booting Win7 Ultimate x64 from a SSD and WinXP Pro x64 from a HDD. After POST, i get to a boot selection screen showing the XP 2003 Server edition (XP x64) and Win7. I could enter Win7 but the default is the setup so if I don't do anything the screen times out after 30 seconds, loads...
Installation & Setup
Window 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro Dual Boot (No option at boot up)
I am not getting the screen asking me to choose which Operating system at boot up. It gives me no options and just Boots straight to the C drive where I have Windows 7 Pro. In preparation I shrunk the Volume of the C drive and created a new partition (E) in which I made it a simple volume NTFS . I...
Installation & Setup
i see 2 option in boot menu
thanks very much for this thread i have a question about windows xp i have one OS in my system=XP but like the picture that you inserted:(below) https://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/9099d1240933934-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp-example2.jpg i see 2 option in boot menu but two...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Issue (Lost my Dual Boot Menu)
Hey Guys, So I just got my hands on Windows 7 and wanted to play around with it, and everything works but: Previous Computer Setup: I had a dual boot with XP and Vista that worked perfectly (both OS's were on separate HD's and worked / booted correctly.) Drive C: --------> Vista (Now...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+