Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading from HDD to SSD

1 Week Ago   #1
sezan1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
Upgrading from HDD to SSD

Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express Solid State Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

So I'm planning on getting this SSD, I'm on windows 7 right now. I just want the OS on the SSD which from my understanding requires a fresh install and is the best option?
Do I remove my HDD and pop in the SSD and install windows like that? or do I keep both connected?
I don't wanna lose any files on my HDD either, Should I buy a usb stick and move files I want to keep onto it?

Can someone point me in the right direction for windows 7 ISO? I'll need to buy another windows 7 key from eBay I'm guessing

I've never had an SSD in my life, just this old as hell HDD from the ancient era lol.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
1 Week Ago   #2
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

You have a few options you can clone your old drive to the SSD normally together disk maker will have a free util to do this first you then you may need to make some tweaks like stopping any defragmentation tools running.. the second option is a clean install which is the best option and you remove the old drive first so no boot files go to together wrong drive you can then put the old drive back and copy files if you want
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #3
sezan1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by samuria View Post
You have a few options you can clone your old drive to the SSD normally together disk maker will have a free util to do this first you then you may need to make some tweaks like stopping any defragmentation tools running.. the second option is a clean install which is the best option and you remove the old drive first so no boot files go to together wrong drive you can then put the old drive back and copy files if you want
So I pop in SSD, install windows 7 from there, then pop in old HDD with everything in it including its own windows 7 and I can just grab stuff from it that I want then erase it completely?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

1 Week Ago   #4
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

Yes you may have to take ownership of some files but we have a tool for that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #5
sezan1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by samuria View Post
Yes you may have to take ownership of some files but we have a tool for that
Sounds awesome dude, I'll buy it then D:

Even if it's windows 10 on SSD and windows 7 on HDD? last question, cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #6
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Are you sure your FM2A55M-HD+ has a M.2 PCIe slot? ASRock > FM2A55M-HD+ doesn't list any M.2.

It seems that you're buying the wrong SSD for the FM2A55M-HD+ MB.

As you have a desktop, you don't need a big and expensive M.2 SSD.
I have a small SSD (128G) for windows and programs (85 G partition) and Linux (40 G partition) and a 1T HDD for data only.

On a 128 G SSD you will have plenty space to install Win 7 and Win 10 and you won't spent more than US$25
Crucial BX500 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT120BX500SSD1 - Newegg.com

With a small SSD and a HDD you will have the speed of a SSD and the space of a HDD at low cost.

As the FM2A55M-HD+ has a UEFI BIOS you can install as UEFI - GPT that has advantages over Legacy - MBR on dual boot (win 7 and Win 10).

My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #7
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

I got a 480 gig ssd for 54
My System SpecsSystem Spec
6 Days Ago   #8
sezan1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Are you sure your FM2A55M-HD+ has a M.2 PCIe slot? ASRock > FM2A55M-HD+ doesn't list any M.2.

It seems that you're buying the wrong SSD for the FM2A55M-HD+ MB.

As you have a desktop, you don't need a big and expensive M.2 SSD.
I have a small SSD (128G) for windows and programs (85 G partition) and Linux (40 G partition) and a 1T HDD for data only.

On a 128 G SSD you will have plenty space to install Win 7 and Win 10 and you won't spent more than US$25
Crucial BX500 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT120BX500SSD1 - Newegg.com

With a small SSD and a HDD you will have the speed of a SSD and the space of a HDD at low cost.

As the FM2A55M-HD+ has a UEFI BIOS you can install as UEFI - GPT that has advantages over Legacy - MBR on dual boot (win 7 and Win 10).


I'm sorry that info was old, I was wondering where people were getting that motherboard info from! lol
I've upgraded a while ago on graphics, motherboard and cpu

I have a B350-plus now D:.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
6 Days Ago   #9
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

I have a M.2 PCIe SSD (2100 read and 600 write) and a 2.5" SSD (550 read and 350 write).
I only see the difference between the two on the benchmark test. Otherwise they work the same. Same boot time (20s) same speed on opening programs.
If you already have a HDD, you have plenty space. Just buy a small SSD for windows and programs. The 2.5" results will be the same as a M.2 970.
The M.2 970 costs 143 and the 2.5" only 24.
Crucial CT120BX500SSD1Z 2.5 Inch 120 GB 3D NAND SATA Internal Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Days Ago   #10
sezan1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
I have a M.2 PCIe SSD (2100 read and 600 write) and a 2.5" SSD (550 read and 350 write).
I only see the difference between the two on the benchmark test. Otherwise they work the same. Same boot time (20s) same speed on opening programs.
If you already have a HDD, you have plenty space. Just buy a small SSD for windows and programs. The 2.5" results will be the same as a M.2 970.
The M.2 970 costs 143 and the 2.5" only 24.
Crucial CT120BX500SSD1Z 2.5 Inch 120 GB 3D NAND SATA Internal Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
thank you buddy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading from HDD to SSD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading to 64 bit OS
Is it possible to upgrade my computer from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS? I don't know if people can look at my computer specs on my profile or not, and I don't know if I got the correct data.
Installation & Setup
upgrading
hi guys, i have windows 7 on my laptop i do like how it works, not on it to much mainly on my desktop that has vista. Now for the reason i am here. I was wondering is it really worth it upgrading to win 7 from vista. because i have a little extra cash on me to buy it(not alot) lol, but i want...
General Discussion
Need help upgrading RAM
Wasnt sure where to put this at so here go's. Looking to upgrade my RAM from 4 gig up to 8+ Gig. Not sure what I would need to know other than current RAM in the rig is PC2-6400 400mhz 2gigs. I was looking at a the user manual and found this: System Memory support Supports dual channel...
Performance & Maintenance
still using xp need help upgrading
Ok here is my dilemma i am currently using xp. going to overhaul comp and build a new one my question is the following: 1. intel 2.93 Dual Core or 2.33 Quad core 2. Is Ram going to make a huge difference is 1066 ddr2 5-5-5-15 or 800 4-4-4-12 ddr2 or should i just go with ddr3 but the cheapest...
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading from XP Pro
I will be upgrading from XP Pro. Has anyone had any issues upgrading without doing a clean install? I usually do that but don't want to bother with it. Will it leave all my programs, documents etc in the same place?
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:55.
Twitter Facebook Google+