Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question regarding windows key and upgrading

31 Dec 2019   #21
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
Are these updates the only one needed to be deleted?
I don't know.
But to not have them reinstalled, you should set WU to never and install security ONLY updates.
Did you read the linked post?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Dec 2019   #22
winkawak

windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
I don't know.
But to not have them reinstalled, you should set WU to never and install security ONLY updates.
Did you read the linked post?
The link posted is an old update, my windows 7 pro is all up to date. I need to go back and delete the data collecting ones.
Im thinking now maybe i should keep w7pro and dual boot w10. After all this pc is my main computer and i do need it for daily uses. Will dual booting effect my current hdd? i have 5 non os hdd in my computer. With w10 dual booted will it be using my existing hdd or will i need a new hdd for the w10?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2019   #23
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Dec 2019   #24
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Better have each OS on it's own drive.

The security ONLY updates are here
Have a look MS releases SP2 for Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2020   #25
winkawak

windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

Thanks soon as i have some time on my hands will start the process with the link provided. Will creating a system restore point be enough in case deleting updates goes wrong?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Better have each OS on it's own drive.

The security ONLY updates are here
Have a look MS releases SP2 for Windows 7

Ive never done dual boot before, will having w10 on a separate drive still have start prompt asking me which windows to boot?



Is simplix trustworthy? Should i run it after i delete the data collecting updates or after i delete all updates and starts fresh?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2020   #26
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

System restore is better than nothing. I use AOMEI Backupper and external HDD.
You can view the batch script I provided from my OneDrive. You can right-click on it and open it with notepad.
here is the code for removing an update via batch script
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
Will run from CMD or in batch file, which is where I copied it from. Yes, there is a colon between KB and number space before /

Dual boot, no Windows boot manager handles that when you have it set up with EasyBCD or similar program. CMD method is more difficult. I dual boot all the time. Win7 Win7, Win7 Win10, Win10 Linux Lite.

Yes, Simplix is trustworthy.
Should you run Simplix after deleting the data collecting updates. What is the point. If your current with all the other Windows Updates, you delete the telemetry updates you wish, there is no need to reinstall the update that are already there.
Simplix UpdatePack enables you to update your live Windows 7 system as well as integrate hotfixes into a Windows 7 distribution. It saves having to go through Windows Updates 230+ updates since Win7 with Service Pack 1.
Simplix doesn't install superseded updates as Win Update does.

You can also have a look at DISM++. It scans, and lists available updates with orange highlights on the problematic ones. Telemetry and other issues
Here the links
Website Dism++ New Windows Utility
Direct Download DISM++
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2020   #27
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

One important rule when installing Windows is to detach (SATA or power cable) all other drives, leaving on only the target disk.
If you leave any other disk with Windows on it you may end with the boot loader in one disk and the OS on another.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Jan 2020   #28
winkawak

windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
System restore is better than nothing. I use AOMEI Backupper and external HDD.
You can view the batch script I provided from my OneDrive. You can right-click on it and open it with notepad.
here is the code for removing an update via batch script
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
Will run from CMD or in batch file, which is where I copied it from. Yes, there is a colon between KB and number space before /

Dual boot, no Windows boot manager handles that when you have it set up with EasyBCD or similar program. CMD method is more difficult. I dual boot all the time. Win7 Win7, Win7 Win10, Win10 Linux Lite.

Yes, Simplix is trustworthy.
Should you run Simplix after deleting the data collecting updates. What is the point. If your current with all the other Windows Updates, you delete the telemetry updates you wish, there is no need to reinstall the update that are already there.
Simplix UpdatePack enables you to update your live Windows 7 system as well as integrate hotfixes into a Windows 7 distribution. It saves having to go through Windows Updates 230+ updates since Win7 with Service Pack 1.
Simplix doesn't install superseded updates as Win Update does.

You can also have a look at DISM++. It scans, and lists available updates with orange highlights on the problematic ones. Telemetry and other issues
Here the links
Website Dism++ New Windows Utility
Direct Download DISM++
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
One important rule when installing Windows is to detach (SATA or power cable) all other drives, leaving on only the target disk.
If you leave any other disk with Windows on it you may end with the boot loader in one disk and the OS on another.

Thanks guy ive learned alot, ill get working on my off day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2020   #29
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

You are welcome winkawak,
Always glad to hear that learning has taken place.
Megahertz07 is great on OS issues!
Internet search engines are very valuable in providing help.
I find videos and tech forum pages work well in locating instructional solutions.
Happy Computing & Happy New Year!
Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2020   #30
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

winkawak please mark this thread as solved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question regarding windows key and upgrading




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading RAM question
Hi guys, I have recently been given some money from a family member, and i've been wanting to upgrade my RAM to 16GB for a while now, so am gonna do it with the little cash boost. Now i was just wondering if its better to get 4 X 4gb sticks or 2 x 8gb sticks. I have 2 X 4gb now and i...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Upgrading - A Question
Hello, I already know that the minumum specs for Windows 7 is a 1GHz Processor and at least 1GB of RAM. Now my pc is about 5 years old (getting quite old now), but ide like to upgrade from XP. My system Specs are:- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.00GHz 1.5GB RAM Nvidia 7600 GS
General Discussion
RAM upgrading question
Just recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit after using Windows XP Pro for many years. My computers a few years old I built it myself and didn't skimp too much. My question is about upgrading the RAM. I currently have 2 sticks of 1gb DDR2 RAM running in dual-channel mode. I have...
Hardware & Devices
Question about upgrading
I have Windows 7 Ultimate RC on a laptop and Vista Ultimate on my desktop. I'm getting Windows 7 Ultimate this weekend through MSDN account. Do I have to completely reinstall over the RC or will a key change take care of it? Since the version I'm getting is a full version and not just an...
General Discussion
Upgrading question
The version of Vista 32bit that I now have is the "Upgrade" version. I used the install over itself trick to get a clean install. Will I be able to buy W7 64bit "Upgrade" when it's released in Oct and do the same with it? In other words, can I upgrade an upgrade?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11.
Twitter Facebook