Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Quick Clean install question

26 Nov 2009   #1
jack wells

w 7
 
 
Quick Clean install question

Is there any way to install w7 on my laptop again (I have it already running but it is causing some problems so I want to re-install) by clean install without losing my files/installed programs?

If you could help me I would appreciate it, and it would be wonderful if you could please give me the exact steps to do so. Thank you


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Nov 2009   #2
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Hi Jack, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Sounds like a repair install could be your solution. Read Brinks excellent tutorial here.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #3
jack wells

w 7
 
 

Uhm I am actually doing this for a friend:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hi.

Update to the latest video card driver from ATI's site. You're currently running a 2007 driver. Not so good.

Update these drivers or if unimportant to the system, get them off the machine by uninstalling:

SynTP SynTP.sys Thu Dec 06 20:41:53 2007
FwLnk FwLnk.sys Sun Nov 19 09:11:12 2006
fshs fshs.sys Wed Oct 15 05:53:55 2008
fses fses.sys Thu Dec 20 08:21:54 2007
fsdfw fsdfw.sys Mon Oct 27 05:51:37 2008
fsvista fsvista.sys Thu Jan 15 05:20:21 2009
AtiPcie AtiPcie.sys Mon Oct 30 14:23:10 2006
UVCFTR_S UVCFTR_S.SYS Tue Nov 27 05:38:34 2007

If you're not proficient enough to do that, then clean install is recommended instead of the upgrade you already did.
that is his problem and torrentg recommended to do a clean install. Repair wouldn't fix this problem would it? Since it keeps all of its drivers intact.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2009   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jack wells View Post
Uhm I am actually doing this for a friend:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hi.

Update to the latest video card driver from ATI's site. You're currently running a 2007 driver. Not so good.

Update these drivers or if unimportant to the system, get them off the machine by uninstalling:

SynTP SynTP.sys Thu Dec 06 20:41:53 2007
FwLnk FwLnk.sys Sun Nov 19 09:11:12 2006
fshs fshs.sys Wed Oct 15 05:53:55 2008
fses fses.sys Thu Dec 20 08:21:54 2007
fsdfw fsdfw.sys Mon Oct 27 05:51:37 2008
fsvista fsvista.sys Thu Jan 15 05:20:21 2009
AtiPcie AtiPcie.sys Mon Oct 30 14:23:10 2006
UVCFTR_S UVCFTR_S.SYS Tue Nov 27 05:38:34 2007

If you're not proficient enough to do that, then clean install is recommended instead of the upgrade you already did.
that is his problem and torrentg recommended to do a clean install. Repair wouldn't fix this problem would it? Since it keeps all of its drivers intact.

How about a compromise. Download the drivers etc to an external device. Then do the clean install and then install the drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #5
jack wells

w 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jack wells View Post
Uhm I am actually doing this for a friend:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hi.

Update to the latest video card driver from ATI's site. You're currently running a 2007 driver. Not so good.

Update these drivers or if unimportant to the system, get them off the machine by uninstalling:

SynTP SynTP.sys Thu Dec 06 20:41:53 2007
FwLnk FwLnk.sys Sun Nov 19 09:11:12 2006
fshs fshs.sys Wed Oct 15 05:53:55 2008
fses fses.sys Thu Dec 20 08:21:54 2007
fsdfw fsdfw.sys Mon Oct 27 05:51:37 2008
fsvista fsvista.sys Thu Jan 15 05:20:21 2009
AtiPcie AtiPcie.sys Mon Oct 30 14:23:10 2006
UVCFTR_S UVCFTR_S.SYS Tue Nov 27 05:38:34 2007

If you're not proficient enough to do that, then clean install is recommended instead of the upgrade you already did.
that is his problem and torrentg recommended to do a clean install. Repair wouldn't fix this problem would it? Since it keeps all of its drivers intact.

How about a compromise. Download the drivers etc to an external device. Then do the clean install and then install the drivers.
but then he would have the drivers which are making him have BSOD again, so that doesn't help. And he doesn't want to re-install all the installed programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #6
jack wells

w 7
 
 

here is what torrentg said to do, can anyone confirm if this works, because I don't want my friend to lose everything:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
You don't even need a backup for this. Just clean install without formatting anything.

Boot to the DVD and when it asks you where to install to, choose the same place Windows is at now. It will create a Windows.old folder with everything presently there now. This way, when you get to desktop on the clean install, you could check it for anything you want to keep. Then use disk cleanup to remove Windows.old from the system.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Put the DVD in the drive. Boot to bios and set it so the DVD/CD drive is the first boot device.

Alternatively, you could continuously tap on f8 while booting to have a selection on many machines. Choose from there so this way, you don't have to set the bios back to the hard drive after Windows install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #7
gregrocker

 

Boot from the installer as given just above, select Custom>Advanced drive tools, delete the target partition, create a New one, format and clean install.

You may have carried over problem drivers with an in-place Upgrade as would occur with a Repair install. You are correct to want to do a clean install.

The installer probably has the correct ones to give, or they should come in quickly on Windows Updates.

Microsoft funded the development of drivers in partnership with the manfacturers in Windows Hardware Quality Labs, so they have the new ones first (since they paid the bill) in most cases.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #8
jack wells

w 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Clean install.
That doesn't help in the slightest, more info please...if you mean simply doing clean install, I won't do it like I have said in this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #9
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jack wells View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Clean install.
That doesn't help in the slightest, more info please...if you mean simply doing clean install, I won't do it like I have said in this thread.
Sorry I was rewriting that botched post as you were responding (see above).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #10
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Do a clean install as my fellow geeks here keep telling you. My first tip about repair install was given before you told all the facts,

Use Windows Easy Transfer to move your files, Orbital Sharks easy to understand tutorial here.

Re-install the software. You can not save your installed software when doing a clean install.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Quick Clean install question




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Quick question regarding install media and keys
Hi, I'm just looking for a bit of information here, but I have a friend that wants their laptop formatted and re-installed. Unfortunately they don't have any install media. I was just wondering if just getting the installation media from digitalriver and using the key under the laptop would...
Windows Updates & Activation
Question about clean install
Hello all, I recently purchased a Western Digital Caviar Black 500 GB HDD but only have Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disks. I currently am running the 32 bit version on my current drive and I just have a quick question. Do I need to reformat my current drive to get rid of the current...
Installation & Setup
Quick question on a re-install of Windows 7
Thanks in advance for any help on this. I'm getting pretty good at re-installing Windows 7 (Clean) - However I do have a question: What is the best way to set myself up as the Administrator so I don't constantly have to work around those pesky "You need administrator privileges do do xxx" I...
Installation & Setup
clean install question
is there a possiblity that after clean install and activation, my computer may go ungenuine? I got my upgrade disc at bestbuy
Installation & Setup
Clean install question
Hey guys, I have another install question. My computer is store-bought, so it had a lot of bloatware (which I promptly removed), but it's still very slow on boot and when more than 3 programs are running. What I was contemplating is getting the upgrade version of Windows 7, since I have a valid...
Installation & Setup
clean install with 2 HD question
I have 2 internal HD C & E RAID 0 900GB and 700GB with Vista OS Home premium 64bit and 1 External HD 500GB.I want to do a clean install with W7 home premium 64 bit (upgrade), what is the best aproach to do this? can I move all my programs and files to E and then install W7 on C? do I need to format...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App