Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Formatting without getting any Windows.old

27 Nov 2009   #1
silenzer

Win7 Ultimate
 
 
Formatting without getting any Windows.old

Hi

My friend wiped my friend's computer on a Vista installer by choosing "load drivers" or something in the partition screen and then pressing format. I can't find this anywhere, or what I mean is there are no drivers to load. When I try to format, I can only format so that my computer saves a Windows.old file. Does that get rid of viruses? Does it get rid of a slow computer?

Thanks! This forum here I find extremely helpful btw. I love you! For my previous problems

Silenzer


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Nov 2009   #2
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Hi.
Boot to the DVD to install. When it asks you where to install to, hit advanced. Choose the drive you want to install to and tell it to format then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #3
silenzer

Win7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hi.
Boot to the DVD to install. When it asks you where to install to, hit advanced. Choose the drive you want to install to and tell it to format then.
Yea but that only gives me the option to save my previous files to a windows.old file... does that completely get rid of viruses and a slow computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Nov 2009   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silenzer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hi.
Boot to the DVD to install. When it asks you where to install to, hit advanced. Choose the drive you want to install to and tell it to format then.
Yea but that only gives me the option to save my previous files to a windows.old file... does that completely get rid of viruses and a slow computer?




If you follow the above advice, you will be starting fresh. Just like when your computer was new, only better; no bloat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #5
silenzer

Win7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silenzer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hi.
Boot to the DVD to install. When it asks you where to install to, hit advanced. Choose the drive you want to install to and tell it to format then.
Yea but that only gives me the option to save my previous files to a windows.old file... does that completely get rid of viruses and a slow computer?




If you follow the above advice, you will be starting fresh. Just like when your computer was new, only better; no bloat.
Okay, I tried that, but now when the computer reboots for the first time, after the Windows logo loading screen the screen goes to a lower resolution and gets stuck in a black screen. Is this normal?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #6
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Change your bios to boot from the HDD and it should be alright continuing with install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #7
gregrocker

 

Did you actually boot from the DVD to install, or run it from the OS?

If you had booted from the DVD, it would have told you to "hit any key to boot from DVD" and then loaded the Win7 installer.

As stated above, you would then have the Custom choice offering Advanced drive tools which allow you to delete, create and format partitions. This is the cleanest of all possible installs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #8
not1lost

windows 7 home premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Did you actually boot from the DVD to install, or run it from the OS?

If you had booted from the DVD, it would have told you to "hit any key to boot from DVD" and then loaded the Win7 installer.

As stated above, you would then have the Custom choice offering Advanced drive tools which allow you to delete, create and format partitions. This is the cleanest of all possible installs.
I did all of this but I still have a windows.old file after it finished... should I delete it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #9
gregrocker

 

If you have everything you need from it. I'd check first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #10
not1lost

windows 7 home premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you have everything you need from it. I'd check first.
Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Formatting without getting any Windows.old




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB drive formatting back to FAT32 after formatting to NTFS
Last night, I tried to transfer a video file as I've done dozens of times. It didn't work. I tried a second time and realized it was because the file was more than 4GB which FAT32 USB drives will not accept. I successfully formatted the new USB drive to NTFS. My question is can I convert it...
Hardware & Devices
Formatting windows 7
I want to format windows 7. I have two drives on my computer (C & E), OS is installed on C drive and there is very important data on D drive So i don't want to loose it. I have tried windows repair but its not resolved the issue,i created the resource disk and system image disk earlier, can it...
Installation & Setup
Formatting a SSD in Windows 8
Has anybody formatted a SSD with Disk Management in Windows 8 and does diskmgmt do the alignment ?? I always format with cmd. But now I have this kid on the line that cannot deal with cmd. I wonder whether I can suggest diskmgmt as alternative. Unfortunately I have no unused SSD lying...
Hardware & Devices
Formatting a HD with Windows 7
Okay so my current PC has Windows 7 64-bit on it, it came pre installed on the pc so I think its a OEM version? Anyway im selling my PC and want to format my HDD, so my question is what ways are there of formatting my HDD and keeping Windows 7 to then put back on the PC to sell it?
General Discussion
Formatting Windows 7
Can I install Windows 7 over the top of Vista
Installation & Setup
Formatting Windows 7
Hi all, I am going to buy a copy of Windows 7 64bit and I am wondering can I format my hard drive many times as I like? Also do I need to activate windows every time I format?
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App