Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 from xp home?

02 Dec 2009   #1
Yoyi

Windows xp
 
 
Windows 7 from xp home?

I have been trying to find a straight answer for this but I keep coming up with unfinished ones.

I want to know if I can install Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade with my Windows XP Home license?

And if so can I do a complete format of my computer and install a fresh copy of 7, I don't want to have to install one on top of the other.

Thanks so much for any help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Dec 2009   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yoyi View Post
I have been trying to find a straight answer for this but I keep coming up with unfinished ones.

I want to know if I can install Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade with my Windows XP Home license?

And if so can I do a complete format of my computer and install a fresh copy of 7, I don't want to have to install one on top of the other.

Thanks so much for any help
If I understand your question. You have XP and you want 7. If this is the case the answer is yes. Actually with XP on your machine, you can do a clean/custom install with the much cheaper Window 7 upgrade rather than the full retail.

Second question is yes. It has been done many times by many, including myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #3
strollin

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
 
 

If I understand your question correctly, you want to use your license for XP home to install Win 7 Home? Sorry but the answer to that question is no. A license is only good for the version of Windows that it came with.

If you are asking if having a licensed copy of XP Home on your machine qualifies you to install the upgrade to Win 7 Home then the answer to that is yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Dec 2009   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by strollin View Post
If I understand your question correctly, you want to use your license for XP home to install Win 7 Home? Sorry but the answer to that question is no. A license is only good for the version of Windows that it came with.

If you are asking if having a licensed copy of XP Home on your machine qualifies you to install the upgrade to Win 7 Home then the answer to that is yes.
I thought that he wanted to use the xp license to upgrade with a purchased copy of 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #5
Yoyi

Windows xp
 
 

Ok basically what I want to do is this. I have 3 computers at home running windows xp home. (each with their own license)

I want to know if I can buy the family pack windows 7 upgrade, but my main concern and what I have been reading is that the upgrade will not let you install windows 7 right after a format, that you have to have xp installed then do the 7 installation on top, it will do a clean install but not a fresh format install, this is what I understand from what I've read.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yoyi View Post
Ok basically what I want to do is this. I have 3 computers at home running windows xp home. (each with their own license)

I want to know if I can buy the family pack windows 7 upgrade, but my main concern and what I have been reading is that the upgrade will not let you install windows 7 right after a format, that you have to have xp installed then do the 7 installation on top, it will do a clean install but not a fresh format install, this is what I understand from what I've read.
It can be done and this is how. While installing it will ask for your key, but do not give it. After installation, use the system and if you are happy, activate at that point. After activation and installing all of your programs, make a system copy, so you will never have to install again.

Many have used this procedure. But if for some reason it does not work there are other methods explained in our tutorials that have worked for everyone that have used it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #7
Yoyi

Windows xp
 
 

Ok just making sure before I buy. I can format my computer right now and use the windows 7 upgrade to install windows 7 with my hdd completely wiped?

Sorry to keep changing the question around just making sure it can be done before buying it.

And thank you so much for all the help as well it is really appreciated
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #8
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yoyi View Post
Ok just making sure before I buy. I can format my computer right now and use the windows 7 upgrade to install windows 7 with my hdd completely wiped?

Sorry to keep changing the question around just making sure it can be done before buying it.

And thank you so much for all the help as well it is really appreciated
Yes you can, but dont be foolish; make a copy of your hard drive first. Anything that is mechanical can go wrong. If you have a copy you can always reinstall with no problem. That being said the answer would be yes. Read our tutorials on the subject, also. They are all very professional and presented in a clear understandable manner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #9
gregrocker

 

You will want to boot from the Win7 DVD to get the cleanest possible install, selecting Custom>Advanced drive tools to format before install.

When the DVD is booting up, it will scan the HD and see XP to pass a flag allowing the Upgrade key to be accepted. Afterward you will activate when you get online at Computer>Properties link.

Once you get it all setup as you like, use Windows 7 great new Backup Imaging to save an image of your HD to an external or other internal HD, so you never have to reinstall either OS again - just reimage your HD or a replacement using the Win7 DVD Repair console "Recover Using an Image"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #10
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
It's a bit of a pain but if you get the stupid message "This license was for an UPGRADE" or something similar then just re-install W7 again as an UPGRADE over your clean install.

I know it sounds crazy but that gets round the "Clean" vs Upgrade hassle that the MS licensing servers seem to have got themselves into.

It will activate fine after the "2nd" upgrade.

Bit of a hassle but it works, is legal and saves a lot of money.

You can use this method also to "Upgrade" to a 64 bit version from XP too.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 from xp home?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem
Ok so my original computer was a Windows 7 Home Premium and that's the PC I used to work. I had REMOTE DESKTOP on it, it worked fine and yes it was a Windows 7 Home Premium..but yesterday my original pc got fried and smoke came out of it so I am afraid to turn it on. I am now using my back pc,...
Network & Sharing
Windows Vista 64 Home upgrade to W7 Home 32
I bought a garage sale gateway gm 5664, that is really a media center PC. I would like to upgrade it to Windows 7 Home Basic 32 bit (Its the retail disc I have and has not been used or activated). I know its usually the other way around upgrading from a 32 bit to a 64 bit system, but I prefer...
Installation & Setup
Performance comparison btw. Windows 7 Home Basic versus Home Premium
Hi Please advice on the performance comparison between - Windows 7 Home Basic versus - Windows 7 Home Premium assuming if both uses the same 8GB RAM. Just a hearsay...that Windows 7 Home Basic is lagging behind Windows 7 Home Premium in terms of performance assuming if both uses the...
Performance & Maintenance
windows xp sp3 home edition and windows 7 home premium dual boot
hi im using desktop pc windows xp sp3 home edition on c/drive and i have windows 7 home premium on d/partition dual boot i like windows 7 how do i remove xp from my pc when screen boots up i get choice whether i want to start windows 7 or earlier version
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 from home basic to home premium
hello all, i m using a dell inspiron m101z notebook which has windows 7 home basic prebuilt. now i got a very new win7 home premium dvd. and since yes i m not very good in all this computer stuff i have opened my own topic so that things bcom clearer to me. i want to install home premium so...
Installation & Setup
Introducing a new home for the Windows Home Server Blog
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App