Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Multi-boot/Dual-Boot Windows XP on Windows 7

13 Dec 2009   #111
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Ok so first? I got everything else down, but last line confused me.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Dec 2009   #112
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

I was looking at the other thread, which this guy's problem about boot.ini file having problems or something. His problem was successful, but eh, he already had it installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #113
gregrocker

 

Search results are conflicting about whether AHCI can be recognized by XP.

I just talked to the smartest guy I know on Xp installs and he says that AHCI can be used by XP, to slipstream in the SATA driver but ONLY the SATA driver as it takes expertise to know which drivers to add and one incorrect can FUBAR the slipstreamed installer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Dec 2009   #114
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Search results are conflicting about whether AHCI can be recognized by XP.

I just talked to the smartest guy I know on Xp installs and he says that AHCI can be used by XP, to slipstream in the SATA driver but ONLY the SATA driver as it takes expertise to know which drivers to add and one incorrect can FUBAR the slipstreamed installer.
Which one would that be? Screenshot below.


Attached Thumbnails
Multi-boot/Dual-Boot Windows XP on Windows 7-driverconfusion.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #115
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Search results are conflicting about whether AHCI can be recognized by XP.

I just talked to the smartest guy I know on Xp installs and he says that AHCI can be used by XP, to slipstream in the SATA driver but ONLY the SATA driver as it takes expertise to know which drivers to add and one incorrect can FUBAR the slipstreamed installer.
Which one would that be? Screenshot below.
IMSM (Intel Mobile Storage Manager)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #116
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Search results are conflicting about whether AHCI can be recognized by XP.

I just talked to the smartest guy I know on Xp installs and he says that AHCI can be used by XP, to slipstream in the SATA driver but ONLY the SATA driver as it takes expertise to know which drivers to add and one incorrect can FUBAR the slipstreamed installer.
Which one would that be? Screenshot below.
IMSM (Intel Mobile Storage Manager)
So I just slipstream that only one? With the original XP files correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #117
gregrocker

 

Make a copy of the original XP files, name it to denote only SATA driver.

The copy will then be slipstreamed.

Be certain to preserve your original XP files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #118
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Make a copy of the original XP files, name it to denote only SATA driver.

The copy will then be slipstreamed.

Be certain to preserve your original XP files.
I'm copying the files with WinToFlash on that tutorial you gave me to put it on my flash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #119
gregrocker

 

Just remember that the copy of XP which you load into Nlite to slipstream will be the one that gets the slipstreamed driver(s).

Nlite doesn't produce anything at the end except an ISO if you make one. The drivers have already been slipstreamed into the XP files you first loaded.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #120
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

I installed the first part, but when I try to install the second part, it says something about an error of hal.dll file. I can't start-up Windows 7 until I finish it up, so I'm hoping.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Multi-boot/Dual-Boot Windows XP on Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe
I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works,...
Installation & Setup
Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help
Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed, windows 7 wouldnt boot, and I misplaced my installation disk. I had the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago. (Lenovo IDeaPad y450). I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk, so I replaced it with a...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot
Hi all, I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart. Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen...
General Discussion
Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader
Hey guys i installed windows 7 and windows server 2008 in different partition. I first installed windows 7 and then installed windows server 2008.(I dont know if that makes much of a difference). However , -----after installing the server i could not see the windows 7 in my boot loader so i had...
Installation & Setup
Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot
Hi, I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB. It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is...
General Discussion
dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot
Hello Everyone , i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter : i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App